Vitamin Challenge 2011

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
What did you put in it?
Found the recipe on one of the smoothie threads here but I tweaked it a little. This ended up making two servings for me. So I drank half today and will drink the rest tomorrow. Next time I won't make so much at once.

Green Smoothie
2 handfuls of spinach
6 baby carrots
1 roma tomato
2 stalks of celery
2 leaves (plus the steams) of kale or turnip greens
1 apple or banana
1/2 cucumber
2 tbsp hemp seed oil
1 scoop of protein powder
1 cup soy milk

sarathu

Found the recipe on one of the smoothie threads here but I tweaked it a little. This ended up making two servings for me. So I drank half today and will drink the rest tomorrow. Next time I won't make so much at once.

Green Smoothie
2 handfuls of spinach
6 baby carrots
1 roma tomato
2 stalks of celery
2 leaves (plus the steams) of kale or turnip greens
1 apple or banana
1/2 cucumber
2 tbsp hemp seed oil
1 cup soy milk

Did it taste really "veggie-ish"?

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
Did it taste really "veggie-ish"?
Sorta but kinds sweet at the same time. If that makes sense. It's a taste I will have to get used to. I'll try using a banana instead of an apple next time and see if it tastes better since bananas seems to overpower almost any smoothie they are put in.
I also make a fruit smoothie that tastes great. Got the recipe from an episode of "Good Eats" but tweaked it a little.

Fuit Smoothie
4 oz acai berry juice
4 oz soy milk*
4 oz blueberries
4 oz strawberries
4 oz peaches
1 banana
2 tbsp hemp seed oil
*I usually add more soy milk afterward to give it a consistency of a shake than a smoothie but it's not necessary.

sarathu

Sorta but kinds sweet at the same time. If that makes sense. It's a taste I will have to get used to. I'll try using a banana instead of an apple next time and see if it tastes better since bananas seems to overpower almost any smoothie they are put in.
I also make a fruit smoothie that tastes great. Got the recipe from an episode of "Good Eats" but tweaked it a little.

Fuit Smoothie
4 oz acai berry juice
4 oz soy milk*
4 oz blueberries
4 oz strawberries
4 oz peaches
1 banana
2 tbsp hemp seed oil
*I usually add more soy milk afterward to give it a consistency of a shake than a smoothie but it's not necessary.

Mmmm that sounds yummy! I think I'll try both because I need to figure out how to get my veggies in. What brand powder do you use? How do you like it?

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
Mmmm that sounds yummy! I think I'll try both because I need to figure out how to get my veggies in. What brand powder do you use? How do you like it?
Yeah, the fruit smoothie tastes really good and has a lot of good vitamins in it too. So if you don't care for the veggie one, this is great tasting alternative.
I use the Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein in Vanilla that I found at Walmart. It tastes good, mixes well, and doesn't make my smoothies/shakes grainy.

ETA: Took my vitamins a bit late today. Made the green smoothie, half the amount so it would fit in the blender better. This time the smoothie blended more smooth. It's veggie-ish in taste, obviously, but the cucumber stands out more than anything making it more palatable. I will experiment more with this.

Last edited:

sarathu

ohh yes that reminds me going to be buying a protein shake this weekend... What shall I add?? :lick:

I just put in everything the first time then subtracted/added/played around with it until I found something I liked. Let us know what recipes you like!

sarathu

Yeah, the fruit smoothie tastes really good and has a lot of good vitamins in it too. So if you don't care for the veggie one, this is great tasting alternative.
I use the Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein in Vanilla that I found at Walmart. It tastes good, mixes well, and doesn't make my smoothies/shakes grainy.

ETA: Took my vitamins a bit late today. Made the green smoothie, half the amount so it would fit in the blender better. This time the smoothie blended more smooth. It's veggie-ish in taste, obviously, but the cucumber stands out more than anything making it more palatable. I will experiment more with this.

Oh ok ill try that next because what i have is not very good. & I ment to ask you what the hemp seed oil does?

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
Oh ok ill try that next because what i have is not very good. & I ment to ask you what the hemp seed oil does?
It's suppose to have a good balance of the omega fatty acids more so than flax seed oil. At least that's what it says on the Nutiva bottle. :lol:

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
Added a whole banana and a few slices of frozen peaches into my green smoothie. It tastes much better now -- more like banana and less like veggies. :) The banana also made the smoothie more smooth and less chucking. I'll add more liquid into it next time to see if the consistency will be more to my liking. The veggies seem to soak up the soy milk pretty fast so I feel like I have to chug it or it will feel "dry."
Took my vitamins too.

Last edited:

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
I used a cup of water, instead of the soy milk, giving the smoothie a thinner consistency making it easier to drink. Added some ice to keep the smoothie cold. I'm really starting to like this and managed to drink all 4 cups.
Also took my vitamins today.

Aireen

UPDATE: Re-purchased my multi-vitamin and bought some silica. Now I have cod liver oil, a liquid multi-vitamin, hair vitamin, and silica to take daily. Took them all before making this post.

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
Took my vitamins all week. Didn't have a smoothie yesterday but I'm drinking a fruit smoothie right now. :)

SingBrina

I would love to join! Currently I am taking Prenatal, but will switch to Noxin soon.... I hear so many good things about it. Once I start my Noxin I will post a before pic....

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
Just took my vits. Really didn't feel like though, I have this silly thing about vits on the weekend :rolleyes: I dunno why I feel I need the weekend off from vits, its not like my body takes weekends off.