2012 Natural Products Challenge

Lita

Tonight making a tea cream to use on Friday or Saturday..
Hibiscus,Red Rasberry,Rooibos & Green tea mixed with Goats milk powder & little Avcado whipped butter/4drops jojoba oil 3 drops cottenseed oil for a nice per poo...I will oil my scalp with coffee oil first....

Happy Hair Growing!

Last edited:

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
Still loving using natural products. I'm trying to convert my friend to the natural product life, but she has a thing for the standard, brick and mortar, BSS.

greenandchic

Tonight making a tea cream to use on Friday or Saturday..
Hibiscus,Red Rasberry,Rooibos & Green tea mixed with Goats milk powder & little Avcado whipped butter/4drops jojoba oil 3 drops cottenseed oil for a nice per poo...I will oil my scalp with coffee oil first....

Happy Hair Growing!

That sounds really interesting. :lick: Are you going to use an emulsifier?

Lita

Saturday-Applied the homemade tea cream on dry hair 20 min,rinsed with remaining left over tea liquid,co-washed with camille rose moisture max,Dc Marie dean coffee & kukum 45 min,kyras coconut cream leave- in,kbn heavenly butter on ends & sealed with rice bran oil...Rosemary pomade on edges...

Hair feels strong,scalp minty & strands look healthy...

Happy Hair Growing!

Last edited:

Anaya-Amani

I've been using a Shea Butter concotion for a moisturizer on myself, my grandbabies and my daughter ( who's relaxed). I melt the shea butter and add aloe gel, African Royale Hot Six Oil, coconut oil, and castor oil (this time is used both Walmart and jbco); sometimes I add tea tree and/or rosemary oil. I play with the mixture until it is a lotion consistency (this may take a couple days to correct b/c it will solidify) and I put it in a color applicator bottle. I don't do measurements I just mix everything until it's like a thick lotion. This weekend I tried acv rinse and I love the way my hair feels and my curls popped! I'm really trying to get away from shampoo.
Wouls WEN be consisdered natural? I'm trying to find a good moisturizing conditioner that also has ceramides for my 4a/4b hair. I was using Joico K-Pak in my relaxed hair and it thrived but it does nothing for my natural hair and it's not a natural product. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Curlykale

I applied Aubrey Organics GPB on dry hair with a little rice bran oil. Kept a plastic cap on in the afternoon. I then rinsed and air dried in some big braids. Then I applied some aloe gel and avocado butter while my hair was still damp. I'm going to sleep in these 6 braids and tomorrow I'm going to bun: feeling lazy.

greenandchic

Thursday night I washed my hair with Trader Joe's Tree Tea Tingle Shampoo (concentrating it on my scalp), did a Brahmi Gloss, used Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner and twisted/stretched my hair with my castor, olive, walnut oil and agave blend.

Friday night I massaged my scalp with coffee oil.

Last night I spritzed my hair with AVJ and sealed my ends with avocado butter.

MaraWithLove

I've been scalping and sealing with a combination of half hemp and half castor oil. I have three bottles: 2 with a pinch of sulfur and one infused with coffee. My hair has been loving it and these oils have been doing a great job as sealants. I've also been massaging my edges with emu oil. Tomorrow is wash day, and I have some henna on the way, hopefully it'll be in the mail and I'll use it by Thursday.

ecornett

I've been scalping and sealing with a combination of half hemp and half castor oil. I have three bottles: 2 with a pinch of sulfur and one infused with coffee. My hair has been loving it and these oils have been doing a great job as sealants. I've also been massaging my edges with emu oil. Tomorrow is wash day, and I have some henna on the way, hopefully it'll be in the mail and I'll use it by Thursday.

im actually gonna mix up a half castor half hemp oil mix, tell me how do u like hempseed oil, i've never tried it i got it because i keep hearing good things about it.

greenandchic

Last night I made an extra hold flax seed gel for my hair. Got the basic recipe from a NC.com forum though I modified it a little.

3 tbsp flax seeds
9 oz water
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp AVG
1 tbsp avocado butter (melted)

After making the flax seed gel with the seeds and water, I added the rest of the ingredients after the gel cooled down some. I keep it in a pump bottle to keep my fingers out of it.

It gives my hair a nice, light hold. I tried it on my hair after washing it a couple hours before going on and I'm in love.

Curlykale

@greenandchic you look fabulous!
I love butters in my flax gel, to me it is not the same as applying a whipped butter after flax gel. When I mix them, it feels and behaves so much better. I have thick strands so I need to apply it on dry hair in order for it to work (working with xanthan gum for superhold but still on the fence). SO I air dry first, and then make my braids with the flax mix on 90% dry hair. If I ever find new interesting mixes I'll post them here though.

Ronnieaj

Wouls WEN be consisdered natural? I'm trying to find a good moisturizing conditioner that also has ceramides for my 4a/4b hair. I was using Joico K-Pak in my relaxed hair and it thrived but it does nothing for my natural hair and it's not a natural product. Any suggestions?

@Anaya-Amani, WEN has amodimethicone in it, so it would not be considered fully natural (I personally don't care and use it anyway but...:look:). Aubrey Organics conditioners have wheatgerm oil in them, which is a ceramide, as are oils like hempseed and rice bran, among MANY others.

greenandchic, your hair looks fabulous! I've got some flaxseeds here to make a gel, but I don't wear my hair out enough to do it. Come spring/summer though, I'll definitely be co-opting this recipe :yep:.

Last edited:

morehairplease

Great challenge ladies! Once I finalize my products and regimen, I would love to join. My staple,natural cleanser is rhassoul clay mixed with water, honey, and oil. Although I would like to experiment with herbs in the future, I plan to keep my mixture simple for now and gradually make changes to it. For the past couple of weeks, I have being looking at youtube videos/doing online research for natural leave ins. Currently, I am using watered down conditioner, Sukesha moisturizing treatment, and essential oils(carrot root, rosemary, lavender, peppermint, eucalyptus, tea tree) as my leave in. Hopefully, I will be able to find a staple all natural moisturizer for my twa that will not weigh my fine strands down.

Last edited:

Lita

Tuesday-Washed with Shi-Naturals (Scalp Detox),Rinsed with darcys (pumpkin cond),Marie Dean ((Sweet Moisturizing milk)Dc 2hrs,Bear Fruit (Desert Moisturizing)leave-in,Argan oil for lite blow dry,KBN(Heavenly Butter)for lite flat ion...Peppermint pomade On scalp....

*Hair is extremely,extremely moisturize & very soft...

Happy Hair Growing!

greenandchic

Last night I shampooed my scalp and whipped up a DC since I'm getting low on certain ones I used.

I used my Natures Gate Pomegranate conditioner (purchased 32 oz container from Grocery Outlet for a few dollars) as a base, plain full fat Greek yogurt, palm oil and wheat germ oil in the mix. It gave my hair a lot of slip while DCing it. I think I will do this more often.

Thanks, Curlykale, Lita, Ronnieaj!

Imoan - Its never too late! :D

Last edited:

Lita

Friday,moisturize my hair with Claudies isha hair cream,Haritage horsetailbutter on ends,Marie Dean morrocan hair oil to seal...

Today (Saturday) I went power walking in the cold,my bang was exposed the entire walk, returned home,my bang was still very moisturized & soft...Me like...

Happy Hair Growing!

Lita

greenandchic I use Greek yogurt in 90% of a lot of my homemade mixes...I love it...You should give it a try with Hibiscus powder,marshmallow powder,saa & oil....Talk about moisture..Yum!

Happy Hair Growing!

MaraWithLove

ecornett Sorry for the lateness; I received no notification. I really like the hemp oil! Hemp and castor seem to balance each other out well and act as great sealants! :yep:

Lita

Just rubbed some HairTrigger on my entire scalp,Moisturized with Kyras Mango Moisture Cream & Sealed with Natures Blessings Pomade...Hair back in braids & pined up...

Happy Hair Growing!

MaraWithLove

Thursday: Applied henna (with hibiscus) and left on overnight

Friday (Usual 2nd wash day of the week): Washed out henna/shampooed with CV Carrot & Marshmallow? Bar. Conditioned, m&s.

Yesterday: Made an ayurvedic spritz which I have not yet used, will update when I try it out.

Today: Washed out an ayurvedic paste that I applied last night (brahmi, bhringraj, hibiscus, maple syrup, avj, water). This made my hair very soft, shiny and moist.

Shampooed w/ CV Ayurvedic shampoo bar, Conditioned with Aloe 80 organics aloe, lemon & rosemary daily conditioner. Did a HOT + oil rinse with castor-hemp mix. Final rinse was green tea with a pinch of acv. Applied YTCu as leave-in and scalped with coffee oil.

I'm loving my rotation lately. I have lots of aloe vera and oil in my rotation which my hair and scalp seem to love. Also, my hair has not felt dry/dried out even after shampooing. I think part of it is also that my technique has improved.

Before nights end I will try out my spritz. Most likely I'll apply right before sleep and baggy because my hair is already nice and moist.