Fall/Winter Wash n go challenge

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Saturday = wash day for me :drunk:

Using the same products and techniques, I set my hair for another 7 days.

Next week is my protein week. I have not yet chosen which product to use.

Normally my hair is the same texture all over but recently I've noticed the hair in the front seems to be lacking some elasticity and I'm not sure why but I'll continue documenting my journey.

[Disregard the product residue you see... my hair is still air drying]
How did I miss these curls???

Beautiful!

YvetteWithJoy

On break
For today's wash-and-go, I went without gel. I just needed a break from it (it's often quite drying for my hair), and also I wanted to trial an individual new-to-me product (a moisturizer) to see exactly what it does to my hair itself (apart from the effects of any gel).

So, the no-gel wash-and-go steps I took today were:
  1. Cleansed scalp with DevaCurl Decadence No-poo (still managed to shrink up my hair, like I've been knowing it's been doing!) and cleansed and moisturized hair with the Naturalicious clay wash
  2. Let hair dry 87% :look: so that the strand-penetrating ingredients of the upcoming DC would not be blocked by water sitting in my hipo strands
  3. Detangled and DC'd with (the miraculous) NaturelleGrow Protein-free Marshmallow and . . . Deep Conditioner. REVIEW: I reviewed it at the "Detangling : Updated, Collective Wisdom 2016." thread. Move over, SM Hipo Masque and KCKT and everything else that's ever tried to tell me it was a detangler. Just . . . wowzer!
  4. Moisturized with The Original Moxie Shape Shifter (from new little sample bottle)
  5. After examining the effects of the Shape Shifter, for shine added a smidgen of The Original Moxie Bling (from new little sample jar) and Bekura Apple and Sorghum Hair Syrup
I loved my hair at sooooooo many of these steps. I do miss the definition of the gel, but I am over-the-moon impressed with the DC and the Shape Shifter: That DC allowed me to detangle knots that typically would have been unresolvable, they were so tiny and tightly tied. And, I literally got to shape my hair today! Without the gel, it did settle down, but still! :yep: And now I'm curious about what the effects will be with their gel, as they recommend using after the Shape Shifter.

WashAndWear2016_08_11_TheOringalMoxiesm.jpg
(no-gel wash-and-go, enlarges upon clicking)

Last edited:

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
OK, I am joining. This thread should be called Wash and Go Support or something similar. My hair type is 4A/B, medium strands, dense, normal-to-high porosity, 5-6” all over. The coils are a bit larger in the crown than the sides and back.

Not much difference between the two, eh?

Right now I spend 10-20 minutes on my hair, only in the shower, several times a week.

1. In the warm shower stream, I let my hair fall into the natural whorl pattern head hair grows.
2. Remove as much shed hair as possible and rub the sebum down.
3. Apply a little castor oil.
4. Let it sit while showering.
5. Remove more shed hair under running water.
6. Increase the water temperature, gently rubbing and shaking it to coax the coils.
7. Final rinse and shake under cool or cold water.
8. Continue to shake as I dry off, giving the ends the barest of taps with a regular towel.
9. Drip dry.
10. Sleep on satin-weave silk pillowcase.
11. A light scritching whenever.
12. Clarifying with ACV in a 1:2 spray with distilled water.
13. Comb monthly under running water with a wide-tooth comb.

My hair and I have reached a state of serendipity; one could say it has been “coil-trained”? The shrunken coils stay out of my way, tangle very little, and hold the sheds nicely until I can get to them. I plan to do this for as long as I can, adding a chelating shampoo, teas, clays, other oils, gels, and protein along the way.

The greys are coming, but I will try a supplement for that soon. I don’t sweat over SSKs, definition, frizz, or hangtime. Most frizz I have comes from the nearly straight hairs scattered all over the place; them other ancestors are to blame for that.

Edit: put in the proper links for two pics

Last edited:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
OK, I am joining. This thread should be called Wash and Go Support or something similar. My hair type is 4A/B, medium strands, dense, normal-to-high porosity, 5-6” all over. The coils are a bit larger in the crown than the sides and back.

Right now I spend 10-20 minutes on my hair, only in the shower, several times a week.

1. In the warm shower stream, I let my hair fall into the natural whorl pattern head hair grows.
6. Increase the water temperature, gently rubbing and shaking it to coax the coils.
8. Continue to shake as I dry off, giving the ends the barest of taps with a regular towel.
9. Drip dry.

My hair and I have reached a state of serendipity; one could say it has been “coil-trained”? The shrunken coils stay out of my way, tangle very little, and hold the sheds nicely until I can get to them. I plan to do this for as long as I can, adding a chelating shampoo, teas, clays, other oils, gels, and protein along the way.

The greys are coming, but I will try a supplement for that soon. I don’t sweat over SSKs, definition, frizz, or hangtime. Most frizz I have comes from the nearly straight hairs scattered all over the place; them other ancestors are to blame for that.

Welcome!

Nice coils and nice time management on the regimen!

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions

9. Drip dry.

Very lovely coils. Please share what supplement you'll be using for your greys. My greys are strong and begin peaking out almost immediately after I get my hair colored.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
Very lovely coils. Please share what supplement you'll be using for your greys. My greys are strong and begin peaking out almost immediately after I get my hair colored.
Traditionally prepared fo-ti capsules - I need to do some comparison shopping on price; I will get it next month. Supposedly, unsulfured black strap molasses can help as well.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Afternoon, ladies!

Today I had my consultation at Huetiful. To prep, I clarified and clay washed (to condition and add moisture back in). I let my hair air dry. I wanted the consultant to be analyzing hair with no product in it.

It didn't look to bad! :laugh: It was definitely a little frizzy at the roots, but it was defined and coil all over (with the exception of that tricky crown area).

The Huetiful consultant doesn't think my hair will ever really do well with gel. She advises . . . surprise, surprise . . . a Huetiful oily foam. I can kind of see where she's coming from by suggesting an oily foam. But, I've had SO MANY stylists in the past to tell me: "If you just use OUR products . . . and OH! We just HAPPEN to have some right here you can buy today . . ." She didn't say that or anything, but I'm just such a skeptic about so much, now. :smile:

She recommends that I steam to boost moisture and train my hair to have a little more definition at the roots. There was a Huetiful steamer there for $115. I told her about the reviews and how the height of the steamer was quite annoying -- how some say putting the steamer on an ironing board is annoyingly the best option they found. She wouldn't tell me not to buy the table top steamer, but she told me to pay attention to reviews. She says she has one at home but uses the stand version in the shop.

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
Afternoon, ladies!

Today I had my consultation at Huetiful. To prep, I clarified and clay washed (to condition and add moisture back in). I let my hair air dry. I wanted the consultant to be analyzing hair with no product in it.

It didn't look to bad! :laugh: It was definitely a little frizzy at the roots, but it was defined and coil all over (with the exception of that tricky crown area).

The Huetiful consultant doesn't think my hair will ever really do well with gel. She advises . . . surprise, surprise . . . a Huetiful oily foam. I can kind of see where she's coming from by suggesting an oily foam. But, I've had SO MANY stylists in the past to tell me: "If you just use OUR products . . . and OH! We just HAPPEN to have some right here you can buy today . . ." She didn't say that or anything, but I'm just such a skeptic about so much, now. :smile:

She recommends that I steam to boost moisture and train my hair to have a little more definition at the roots. There was a Huetiful steamer there for $115. I told her about the reviews and how the height of the steamer was quite annoying -- how some say putting the steamer on an ironing board is annoyingly the best option they found. She wouldn't tell me not to buy the table top steamer, but she told me to pay attention to reviews. She says she has one at home but uses the stand version in the shop.
Sounds like your appointment went well. I've thought about going to to the huetiful here in Atlanta but some of reviews give me pause.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Sounds like your appointment went well. I've thought about going to to the huetiful here in Atlanta but some of reviews give me pause.

I felt like I didn't get much info at all that I didn't already know. She told me that once I got my hair wet (ya know, when I purchase a SERVICE), she can tell me more.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
That's so irritating and I'm sure you had to pay for the consultation. Q

They supposedly can reverse and stop grey hair.

Yes. Even though she said all of this NICELY, I came in with a list of questions, most of which were not answered because, "Once I wet your hair . . ." SIGH. DEEP SIGH.

Wow! Keep us posted on the effects of the fo-ti capsules. They have something to try and remedy everything! Science. :smile:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Keeping in line with my efforts to simplify, I'm leaning toward focusing my efforts here for a good 6 weeks:

Every 3-5 Days:
  1. Cleanse and detangle: NaturelleGrow Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Blue Malva Cleansing Conditioner
  2. Condition and leave-in: NaturelleGrow Sweet Plantain Moisture Rich Leave-in Conditioner
  3. Moisturize, seal, and style: Layer The Original Moxie Shape Shifter + Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel
Daily:
  1. Refresher spritz (various)
  2. Beautifully Bamboo Tea
Of course, as needed I'll deep condition, do full detangling, clarify/detoxify, etc. But I'm going to see if focusing on the above cuts down on the need for too much more activity OR products. :yep: :up:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
This is about 65% dry, I'd say.

I used all The Original Moxie products (samples). Meh on the sulfate free shampoo, RO conditioner, and LI conditioner. I think I like the gel (I tried the Hold Up gel sample today, and not the lighter Just Gel sample), but it's a little early to completely tell. Today I just applied the gel in quadrants and scrunched -- I didn't section and rake and all of that. (I didn't want to take the time on a gel I wasn't sure would be wonderful). Next time I will section, layer Shape Shifter (elongating moisturizer) underneath, and rake.

In real life it's looking quite pretty at 65%, and it is not shrunken like it has been lately with other shampoos/gels at this stage of dryness. Yes!

ETA: The ingredients ROCK (unlike those in the Marc Anthony Strictly Curls line).

WP_20160814_013OriginalMoxieWashAndGo - jpg.jpg

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I like the fact that they use less fatty alcohols than most. Two of the styling products look like future possibilities when my hair is longer (no coconut).

I love your heart-shaped hair!

Mm! Good point on the ingredients!

And, awwww, thanks! :kiss: That means so much to my spirit right now: I am struggling to like my hair. I miss my long, straight hair that framed my face. I am trying so hard to adjust. Your comment means the world, particularly in this moment. :smile: Thank you!

I love your hair, by the way! Simply beautiful.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
This is about 65% dry, I'd say.

I used all The Original Moxie products (samples). Meh on the sulfate free shampoo, RO conditioner, and LI conditioner. I think I like the gel (I tried the Hold Up gel sample today, and not the lighter Just Gel sample), but it's a little early to completely tell. Today I just applied the gel in quadrants and scrunched -- I didn't section and rake and all of that. (I didn't want to take the time on a gel I wasn't sure would be wonderful). Next time I will section, layer Shape Shifter (elongating moisturizer) underneath, and rake.

In real life it's looking quite pretty at 65%, and it is not shrunken like it has been lately with other shampoos/gels at this stage of dryness. Yes!

ETA: The ingredients ROCK (unlike those in the Marc Anthony Strictly Curls line).

View attachment 370407

Update:
Hubby says this gel is giving me frizzy roots. It could be technique. I'll work with it more.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I think I'm getting it cuz I'm just so excited lol. Curl keeper explained it as being a water based serum that controls frizz in humidity but has less hold than the gel.

Plus I think her results sent me over the edge with wanting it.

I followed her technique and love the results. I got much better definition than raking and smoothing. i used a cheap leave in conditioner i got from the bss and i really am feelin myself! my hair is oft yet controlled and super shiny with out being too flat. I really like the results.

Luscious850

Yesterday was wash day.. I had a late start to my wash day so I didn't get to take pics.

The routine:
1. Dyed hair color 1N (x 30min)
2. Shampoo (SM JBCO)
3. Rinse out conditioner (SM JBCO x3-5min)
4. Deep Conditioner (Aphogee Curlific x 30min under hood)
5. Leave In (Kinky Curly CC)
6. Moisturizer (Camille Rose Natural Hair Smoother)
7. Styler (Camille Rose Natural Curl Maker)
8. Seal dried hair with EVOO

My hair feels like butter and my curls are poppin! It's super fluffy and light weight. I went with my more moisturising styler and an elasticity treatment since I deposited color. Im still adjusting to the color but I love it!