New *2010* Transitioners Support Thread!

Kenny-Ann

:lachen:So true!

*Me to my hair: I give you everything! DC, cowashes, cute styles, nice products, accessories, and you STILL don't do right! I should disown you (cut you off)!

*My hair to me: Noooo mommy! I love you! I PROMISE I'll be good on the next DC!

*Me to my hair: Okay, I'll give you ONE MORE CHANCE!

And STILL she does me wrong EVERY WASH AND DC!!!:wallbash::lachen:

I just noticed we have the same final relaxer day. Just think...we were both getting our haid "did" at the same time 3 months ago. What made you decide to transition. Me...the relaxer burned the <insert expletive here> outta me.

Kindheart

I ve been transitioning for about 12 months now and unfortunatley ive had a major set back this june after straightening my hair almost on a daily basis for about 7 days>>SIGH .Whereas my relaxed hair has grown out quite alot i now have to deal with 5-6 inches of heat damage....I just wish i never used the dang ghd ...

My current regimen is the following:

Poo w Australian Organics Shampoo with added jojoba oil +DC once a week ,I use different products I mainly use moisturizing ones(Komaza Olive Mask,Lovea Monoi Mask ,AO White Camellia or Island ) or alternatevley light protein based ones such as Motions Silk moisture,Pm Strong ,CJ Hibiscus Banana Fix.

Cowash once or twice a week with Fructis Repair ,HE (red one) or Pantene R&N

After i wash my hair i apply a small drop of hair oil on my ends(jojoba ,coconut and shea)
I moisturize w Elasta Qp Mango Butter(focusing on damaged parts) and seal with the same oil concotion before going to bed,.
I dont really have many split ends but when i see those straight ends my heart sink ...
I plan on slowly cutting off the heat damaged part every 2 or 3 months .

Last edited:

NikkiQ

So...I'm fast approaching 12 weeks(according to my calculations) and I took a pic of my NG to show you ladies exactly the curlies that are giving me the blues right now :lachen: I've worked out a little system to keep it slicked down pretty well now for my phony pony and it seems to be working. Gonna keep on chugging along :pulpdance:

Now I just gotta figure out when I'll be able to determine if I'm really a 4a lol

Attachments

• week 11 004.jpg
    week 11 004.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 23

GlamaDiva

I have been detangling wiht my shower comb with my deep conditioner in from end to root. I think I am getting mostly shedding b/c I see entire strands. How are you ladies drying your hair when you wash or cowash? I have tried airdrying with a scarf which seems to work. I just need to figure out what to do with the scraggly ends.

I airdry my hair as well. I normally let it air dry for until it's just damp and then I'd twist/bantu knot my hair (i like big hair :) ) But that's when I was wearing my hair out. I'm currently in a protective style.

dr.j

I'm 1 year post and some change and in Memphis for a second interview. I got my hair blowdried and flat ironed on Friday (she couldn't fit me in on Saturday, shop closed on Sunday and Monday and I was leaving for Memphis on Tuesday morning). Tuesday my hair was fine - not much reversion. But I woke up Wednesday morning with 1/2 inch of waves at my hairline. I was like :nono: - not today! So I put on a head band but then my hair hit the Memphis humidity and it slowly became a big poof. :ohwell: I'm sure the people who interviewed me did not really notice --- probably thought that I had big hair. So today is my last interview day. Last night I braided my hair for a braidout. I only packed a silk bonnet and not my scarf :wallbash: so I'm sitting here with a makeshift stocking cap (cut one of my stocking legs and stuck it on my head :grin:). Still deciding if I'll wear my hair in a low pony or tuck the hair under into a bun. Anyways, I'm looking forward to getting home and back to my hair staples.

Transitioning and interviewing in humid cities is no joke!! :lachen:

Kenny-Ann

I had a really bad hair morning that almost brought me to tears. I don't know how those of you who've transitioned for a year or longer do it. Just the time and patience alone is hard. When did you finally get the hang of taking care of your hair? Were there days when you really wanted to either to relax it or take a pair of scissors to it? What kept you sane? Does it get any easier?

I'm not so defeated that I'm going to give up, but it's just one of those days where you wonder if it is all worth it. :sad:

Hopefully tomorrow will be a better morning.

KurlyNinja

@Kenny-Ann - I don't really think about relaxing anymore because of several health reasons, but I think about BCing ALL the time. The only reason I don't is because I keep telling myself "If you wait a year, your going to have a whole head full of beautiful hair and if you can wait even longer than that it will be even more!" I usually repeat this to myself in my head when I have sit around and detangle for almost an hour.

NikkiQ

I'm 1 year post and some change and in Memphis for a second interview. I got my hair blowdried and flat ironed on Friday (she couldn't fit me in on Saturday, shop closed on Sunday and Monday and I was leaving for Memphis on Tuesday morning). Tuesday my hair was fine - not much reversion. But I woke up Wednesday morning with 1/2 inch of waves at my hairline. I was like :nono: - not today! So I put on a head band but then my hair hit the Memphis humidity and it slowly became a big poof. :ohwell: I'm sure the people who interviewed me did not really notice --- probably thought that I had big hair. So today is my last interview day. Last night I braided my hair for a braidout. I only packed a silk bonnet and not my scarf :wallbash: so I'm sitting here with a makeshift stocking cap (cut one of my stocking legs and stuck it on my head :grin:). Still deciding if I'll wear my hair in a low pony or tuck the hair under into a bun. Anyways, I'm looking forward to getting home and back to my hair staples.

Transitioning and interviewing in humid cities is no joke!! :lachen:

You're like McGuyver of the hair world :lachen:

*closer*2*my*dreams*

I had a bad hair day too this morning... I went back to juicing and purchased the Care Free Gold and I think my hair hates it. I will be returning it and getting the S-Curl or Hawaiian Silky and sealing with the oil. I think the product was old or something because it didn't even feel thick like it used to and there was no akward smell (you know, the jherri curl smell).

Anyhoot, my bun was less than subpar this morning...

Sidenote: I always equate my hair the movie "Gremlins"; it always starts off cute and fluffy and the moment you hit it with some water, it's a treacherous beast that you can't control or tame.... poor Gizmo....

ZkittyKurls

^^^You're prolly right - I don't worry about the exact dates, since I'll be transitioning for a couple more years. Saying "I'm 167 weeks post" will sound pretty silly, IMO, and will make little difference than being 166 weeks post.

lol! i see your point.

blksndrlla

I had a really bad hair morning that almost brought me to tears. I don't know how those of you who've transitioned for a year or longer do it. Just the time and patience alone is hard. When did you finally get the hang of taking care of your hair? Were there days when you really wanted to either to relax it or take a pair of scissors to it? What kept you sane? Does it get any easier?

I'm not so defeated that I'm going to give up, but it's just one of those days where you wonder if it is all worth it. :sad:

I still wax and wane, but I know I intend on being a long haired natural. The long hair part keeps me transitioning more than anything. If my goal was to just be natural I don't know if I could resist the urge to BC, but since I want to have long hair it's easier to keep pushing. Yes, I have had plenty of crazy hair days, but they pass. The only thing I regret is putting that darn maxi-glide to my head (read: heat damage). (i didn't have that problem with my CHI). Just keep on pushing. You will get to your goal eventually. Your hair is going to grow, so why not just keep going!

dr.j

^^^^ ITA. What keeps me going is knowing that I want to have long hair when I BC. Plus I look at those who are at a transitioning point further than me as inspiration. Learning to be patient and working with my hair and NOT fighting with my hair has helped. Stay strong!!

Fab_Nikki

35 weeks post/ 8 months
Week 3 of no heat (no flatiron or blowdryer)
New Goal: Try to transition for 1 year!!!
!

So this week I've continued my daily co-washing. I can't get enough of this!!!!! Although almost daily I am bunning, I am so proud of myself for not using heat. On Tuesday night I did a rollerset and the curls came out pretty good. Fastforward to the next day......................I looked like one of the Supremes. It was a helmet head HOT MESS!!!! I even had the nerve to go out of the house like that. As soon as I hit the humidity, my hair blew up even more. Every "protective" style I try I cannot get it right. Saturday morning I will be stalking YT for tutorials. I've GOT to do better. *le sigh*

Products I am in love with right now:

Skala Shea Butter Leave-in - Leaves my hair soooooo super soft and detangling.

Lacio Lacio - (My favorite leave-in, super detangling, comparable to Skala Shea leave in)

Shea Moisture products (they all work great to me)

HE Totally twisted (My favorite to cowash with these days)

Bee Mine Deja Hair Milk and Luscious moisturizer (Left my failed twistout super soft and moisturized. Although the style looked a mess, it was sooo soft)

Jane Carter Leave - in (I haven't used it alone but my hubby loves the smell)

Care-Free moisturizer -( I use this when I do early morning wet buns. Works well with the IC Fantasia)

Shea Butter - (I love this stuff on my hair, on my legs, feet, everywhere) *swoon*

africanqueen456

Hun when I feel like I put in a weave..I actually never wore my transitioning hair out until a couple months ago..Im 10 months post

So...I'm fast approaching 12 weeks(according to my calculations) and I took a pic of my NG to show you ladies exactly the curlies that are giving me the blues right now :lachen: I've worked out a little system to keep it slicked down pretty well now for my phony pony and it seems to be working. Gonna keep on chugging along :pulpdance:

Now I just gotta figure out when I'll be able to determine if I'm really a 4a lol

I think you and I might be hair twins!

ETA: Hmm maybe not so much. I just examined my hair folder on Picasa (which currently has over 50 pictures of the back of my head :lachen:) I think I was just excited to have a twin :lol:

On another note, I'm currently in the midst of a personal no heat challenge (for almost 4 weeks). I usually straighten every other week and I'm trying not to straighten again until the 2nd, which is my birthday! I've cut down on the heat a lot considering I used to straighten every 3 days!

Last edited:

Yoshi3329

Just found out I'm in my 7th month, quickly approaching my 8th. My head feels a bit tender headed, I don't remember being this tender headed while relaxed. Interesting... Anyone else?

KurlyNinja

I'm 17 weeks post!! 4 months tomorrow!!! That number seems so far away from my goal... I'm just now realizing that if I want a style, I have to work for it. No such thing any more as just unwrap my hair and go. But its no point of styling it in this summer heat anyway...

thickhairRN

sooo im no longer a "transitioner"!!! Finally bc'ed after 7 months! No pics yet because I had to get a sew-in for an event that I was in. It was totally not planned at all...just kind of happened. Extremely happy to finally be au naturale! Plus 2 of my younger sisters and my mom recently bc'ed as well! So much support and love has me feeling awesome. Cant wait to take out my sew-in and learn about MY hair!!!

ZkittyKurls

^^ wow thats very fortunate for you to have such a close support group to help you on your newly natural journey!! congratulations!! :congrats:dont stay in that install too long you kno we love da pics:love2: :pics:

NikkiQ

I think you and I might be hair twins!

ETA: Hmm maybe not so much. I just examined my hair folder on Picasa (which currently has over 50 pictures of the back of my head :lachen:) I think I was just excited to have a twin :lol:

On another note, I'm currently in the midst of a personal no heat challenge (for almost 4 weeks). I usually straighten every other week and I'm trying not to straighten again until the 2nd, which is my birthday! I've cut down on the heat a lot considering I used to straighten every 3 days!

awww dangit! I got excited too! lol

dorko

i flatironed my hair for the first time in a year.. loving the thickness and the length.. ends look thicker.. i plan on taking pics soon enough..

KurlyNinja

I'm FOUR months post today!!!! :yay: I wasn't a big fan of Skala Shea Butter until yesterday when I poo'd, condish'd and put in the leave-in. My hair and tangles melted like butter. It was great! So no BC anytime soon as long as I keep finding things that work for me.

NikkiQ

My waves and curls are starting to make their presence be known through the top layer of hair. They're basically saying "move over relaxed strands...its our time to shine!!" :lachen: