New *2012* Transitioners Support Thread!

Dee-Licious

I want to do another flexirod set this weekend. I just learned near the end of my last set to roll "up" in order to get the roots straight.

I think I want to use EcoStyler on the roots to I guess "hold" them straight

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched

Now for the usual questions to get us started:
1. How far into the transition are you?
2. Whats your transition goal?

1. 6 months in.
2. The plan is to transition for at least 36 months. I'd like to be back at MBL when I chop. It'll be braid outs all the way. Keeping the heat to a minimum.

Anonymous1

sliding under the radar
I will be 7 months on the 29th. I'm about to take my sew in out right now. I'll be doing braidouts. I don't know how long I will transition. I guess once my natural hair is about APL i will cut it.

lolascurls

@Dee-Licious thanks! yes, straightening the roots makes things so much easier. In that case, would you be a heat trained natural since you're straightening your roots often? I went and got my hair professionally flat ironed and my roots were pin straight! I tried to mimick the same thing at home and it was a fail lol. I can prob blow dry my hair and probably smooth out my new growth some just so things are bit more manageable.

@Brittster

I've been doing much better by basically keeping my roots straightened. Either I do a full flatiron job or I at least blowout my hair before styling.

The problem I used to run into during 4 month stretches was tangling and knots... by keeping them pretty much straightened it relives that problem.

I'll probably basically be a straight hair natural with a few curly (twistout/braidout) styles thrown in

Hey ladies, be careful with the heat. You may find heat damage would be a dirty word at the end of a transition. If you can try some low-heat or no-direct-heat methods of straightening the roots, it would be healthier for your hair in the long run.
Afterall, it would be a shame to finish transitioning and have uneven, stretched/straight bits mid-way down the hair length. That would make wash'n'gos impossible.

I'm currently doing two-strand twists on my own hair . That's been my staple style since Summer 2011. Now my hair is longer and thicker, I can have the plump, juicy-looking twists my relaxed hair could never achieve.

Updos are the main thing but lots of baggying at night and deep conditioning still on the cards.

Anyone tried out any new hair care practices?

I'm currently using Rhassoul Clay to clarify once a month and will be trying to DC weekly (with coconut milk/avocado mixes). I've got conditioners on the shelf but I really want to see what the kitchen has to offer...lol!

MsDes

1. How far into the transition are you? I am 7 months and 1 week post
2. Whats your transition goal? I plan to transition for at least a year, if I feel like I can do longer I will. But I doubt it. I just wanna be comfortable with my length before I bc.

Dee-Licious

Hey ladies, be careful with the heat. You may find heat damage would be a dirty word at the end of a transition. If you can try some low-heat or no-direct-heat methods of straightening the roots, it would be healthier for your hair in the long run.
Afterall, it would be a shame to finish transitioning and have uneven, stretched/straight bits mid-way down the hair length. That would make wash'n'gos impossible.

I do not have a wash n' go texture, so that will never be an issue for me :lol:

I straighten my roots at 320 after using heat protectant; I'm not scared of the heat or fear damage since I only use heat on clean freshly DC'd hair

I plan to be a straight hair natural (ala PinkSkates and the crowd) anyway, so straightening now is preparing me for in a few years when I am all natural. I won't be wearing a fro :look:

LucieLoo12

:hiya:

I am 24 weeks , maybe 26 weeks...not sure. So I will just say between 24-26 weeks :ohwell:

I would like to transition for atleast a full year before I big chop.I'm wearing a sew in now and Im really curious about my hair, so I may BC this weekend :look:...I dont know

Its like Im getting ansty!! I dont know what to do. I have a rather...um...large head:look:, so Im very scared to wear my natural hair out. I dont know, Im just confused and restless..

NJoy

Here I grow again!
1. How far into the transition are you? I'm 41 wks post texlax

2. Whats your transition goal? I plan to trim away my bonelaxed ends 1-2 inches at a time this year. I think I have about 5 inches left.

From there, I should be able to tell my texlaxed hair from the natural and trim that. I can't really tell the difference at this point. But then again, my texlaxes were lightly texlaxed so, it's blending with my natural hair and my hair's not out enough to really notice a difference.

So, maybe another 18 months? IDK.

Dee-Licious

I'm still going strong. I'm just getting bored... I usually use my second week straightened hair to experiment and play with styles

I think this week I will try to do my extra long curlformers and just wet it with foam. I usually use my extra wides, but those curls don't really last too long.

Julessy

How far into the transition are you?
I was exactly 9 months into my transition on March 4, 2012.

2. What’s your transition goal?
Even if I am not at a comfortable length, I plan to do a big chop 2 years into my transition, which will be June 4, 2013. My hair grows at a pretty good rate, so I plan to be right at shoulder length post BC. I'm crossing my fingers!

DeShawn

Dee-Licious said:
It's another year and time for another thread!!

Here are the links to past threads with plenty of advice, tips, and support.

New *2009* Transitioners Support Thread!
New *2010* Transitioners Support Thread!
New *2011* Transitioners Support Thread!

added: Transitioning W/O the Big Chop

I did the big chop Feb 25, 2012...
My goal,is to,grow my hair and quit the perm and to have my hair shoulder length by Christmas.
Have a hard time finding products for my 4 typed hair?? Very thick, defined curls on the top, soft no define anything on the sides and the back.
When I started hair was about an inch and now it is about a inch and half.

lomaxee

Oops I'm late :ohwell:

8 months this past Friday

2. What’s your transition goal?

I wanted to BC in December which will be about 18 months just shy of my 30th bday! But....I think I want to BC in June. I don't know yet.

daviine

I will be 21 weeks on Saturday.

My goal is to transition as long as I can until I think I am comfortable enough to BC. I'd like to transition for two years and retain length but not sure I have the patience for that. We'll see...

Last edited:

tarheelgurl

15 months post this month. I finally got a rhythm going and it only took 14 months. There is a huge difference in thickness between newgrowth and relaxed edges. I found a natural hairstylist to help me with this part of the transition since I have so much newgrowth now. I have been doing 2 stranded twists the past few weeks but I'm looking for something else now. I might go invest in a nice phony pony this weekend. My biggest problem is getting the roots to lay smooth and have that glossy shiny look. I haven't achieved that yet.

If anyone has any advice PM me please....any would be welcome!

23 months, ladies!!! One month away from two years!!

I had to change my leave-in Herbal Essences Long-Term Split-End Protector, though. I don't like having to search high and low for products. My local Target doesn't have it anymore. I am sad (okay, it's not that serious, lol) but I've used that product since I started my HHJ and was still relaxing my hair.

Oh well! So, I'm giving a chance to Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Curl Milk. I hope it works well for my diva hair.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
52 weeks post today. I said once I get to 52 wks I'd consider myself officially transitioning. :rolleyes: I think I'm pretty much at the point of no return. I've been really missing my relaxed hair these past few days but with these skimpy ends, I can't even imagine how much trimming I'd have to do after this long stretch.

I'm actually toying with the idea of BC'g, if not now, then within the next few months. I have to check but, I think my natural hair is around apl. I'd like to be at least bsl natural but, with a major detangling session upon me, I'm just tired of dealing with multiple textures. It just seems like getting rid of these relaxed ends would make it easier to detangle my hair.

What are your thoughts on this? Anybody else wanna just say "bump it!" and BC? I'm there right now except, I don't want to feel like I'm starting from square one. I was an inch or so above apl when I started my hhj and grew to HL. I at least want to be beyond my "normal" length when I BC.

*sigh* Maybe I should just detangle and keep it moving. Y'I don't know. :perplexed

nyreeroberts1

Hey NJoy, Congrats on your 1 year transition! Is it possible to post some pics. I am transitioning now for a year or 2:) and I need some motivation. I am BSL right now and can't imagine going back to short hair so I say detangle and keep those ends:) Maybe a nice trim will help you in the process. Looking forward to seeing some pics.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
Hey NJoy, Congrats on your 1 year transition! Is it possible to post some pics. I am transitioning now for a year or 2:) and I need some motivation. I am BSL right now and can't imagine going back to short hair so I say detangle and keep those ends:) Maybe a nice trim will help you in the process. Looking forward to seeing some pics.

I'll be happy to post some pics...assuming I can get this hair detangled today. Oy vay :rolleyes:. I'm still in an overnight DC under a baggy and cap. I won't even be able to get to it until later today. Y'all pray for me. Patience is not my forte. :look:

JJamiah

I am 41 weeks post and I am washing my hair and braiding it up for wigging this week. I have been bunning and using the curlformers, I am ready to put my hair up for the season, until September. Too hot for having my hair out!

Ashawn Arraine

I am currently 49 weeks Post, and will make a year May 14, 2012

My goal is to transition for 2-3 years. Depending on when I get tired of these relaxed ends.

newbeginnings2010

22 weeks post

104 weeks, or 2 years, or as long as I can hold on to my length!

Shelew

1. This is my 20th week
2. Goal have not set yet. I will have a better idea as i get further along. Just going to inch along until the relaxed hair is trimmed off a little at a time.

Anonymous1

sliding under the radar
I'm so frustrated today with this hair. My new growth makes my relaxed ends look so raggedy in my ponytail. I'm going let me cousin braid me up and just rock braidouts for a little while.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
I have been detangling this hair for days now and STILL am not thoroughly detangled. I mean, I twisted up a few detangled sections in the back and it's nice to have my hair go all the way down my back to my hips. That makes me want to take my time transitioning. But, this detangling is frustrating. I can't guarantee these ends will make it beyond this weekend. This is just crazy. I just feel like I can get it to grow back quickly if I didn't have to worry about all this tangling.

And the shrinkage is insane. I almost feel like my hair is cut already until I feel the stringy hairs. *sigh* Just venting. And it's late.

Oh, and what if I still have this much trouble after I BC? What if I ruined my hair trying to go natural and then find that my natural hair is too much to handle?

*sigh* Let me take my tired tail to sleep. I'm whining and that;s not a good look. G'night.