Relaxed ladies.. Braid out vs Rollerset for length retention

Braid outs vs Rollersets for length retention

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

blackberry815

I've done a thread about this a few months back but it seems that there could be a disparity in the answers that I got from relaxed heads and natural heads.. So I'm more specifically asking the relaxed ladies to share your experiences with me.. Do you find that you were able to retain length better with rollersets or with braid outs? Rollersetting involves alot of combing but your ends are lovely. Braidouts involve alot less manipulation and you don't need to comb for a few days after that, however, it seems like the ends take a beating with braidouts...

Help me out here sistas.. which one is better for length retention?:perplexed

Last edited:

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
I'm not relaxed, but when I was, rollersets helped me retain length. :)

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Rollersets because the end result for me is sleek hair that's not prone to drying and tangling. With braid outs, my hair is dryer and tangles more. For ultimate retention, I have had great experience with protective styling.

ackee walk

oh i'm just seeing that you started this new thread on this topic so let me cut and paste the relevant part of my answer from the previous one...

if you look at the process for relaxed heads, braidouts require far more manipulation-- the process of parting, combing thru, braiding the hair and possibly rolling the ends on wash day and then needing to redo that each night or every few nights-- that's a ton of manipulation. with a rollerset, you comb thru and roll the hair on wash day and depending on what type of style you're going for, you may not have to comb your hair again the next day or even the day after.

my vote remains with rollersets for better length retention.

SuchaLady

These are both my least favorite styles. Braid outs make my hair dry no matter how much moisturizer I use. Rollersets are prettier and healthy but all that playing in my hair to get the finished product isn't worth it. :ohwell:

Sent from my DROID3 using DROID3

abcd09

by doing braid outs I was able to make my hair fuller, however the ends would tangle badly. I was able to skip heat for months. rollersets help to keep my hair smooth and the ends from knotting together. I think alternating would help to avoid too much heat and tangling

Dposh167

Both requires a certain amount of manipulation. It really doesnt matter. I have gotten length and breakage from both. It all matters in how u care for ur ends within that manipulation

Your Cheeziness

Rollersets were better for me and my ends. During the week, I pincurled or wrapped my hair. But, with braidouts (and especially setting braids on damp hair), I had to do too much wet manipulation and daily manipulation to maintain the style.

frizzy

I had a love affair with a flexi-rod set for a full week.

It was easy to moisturize, easy to revive in the morning and it stayed bouncy and shiny until I tried to moisturize with Mizani rose h20 crap. The curls lasted but I didn't like the way it felt anymore. NTM topped with coconut oil worked great as a moisturizer! I have finally found my new protective style!!!

Rollersets don't work for me because my hair has no particular shape or style to it. I will substitue a braidout w/strips, when I don't feel like flexi-rodding. My goal is to NOT use any clamps, bows, bands or tools in my hair because they give me breakage.

bebezazueta

Of course rollersets for me. I do an overnite dc to get lots of slip combined with a light protein for strength. This way detangling is a breeze. It may be alot of manipulation to set it but after that it's low manipulation because I fingercomb only. I pincurl & moisturize and seal nightly and tie with satin scarf. It can last for 2 weeks but I wash weekly and henna monthly.

My braidout was a tangly mess. My hair likes to be smooth preferably my ends that's why it's just rollersetting for me. My ends were angry with braidouts. Why is my hair so stuck up? LOL!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

sunnieb

Braidouts look fabulous, but terribly tangly so I don't do them that often.

I have all the tools for me to do a perfect rollerset, but I'm too lazy to put that much time into rolling my hair.

***Makes mental note to go to Louisiana and let bebezazueta rollerset my hair for me***

hothair

I guess I should've voted for rollersets. I use a caruso-like product called Remington flexi curl, it works fast and with no heat damage at all - love it

I apply before I get dressed and take them down 10-15 minutes when I'm about to leave the house absolutely brill:yep:

Napp

Ms. Nobody
i currently am wearing these as my main two heat free styles. i like them for different reasons. i think i am retaining length just fine.i think rollersetting is more manipulation unless its a flexi rod set. i take care of my braid outs and flexi sets the same. just a large satin bonnet at night and fluff in the morning. it it gets jacked up from outside(get caught in rain) then i would rebraid or stuff it in a bun.

ElegantPearl17

Is this for dry hair? Do you think these would work for fine hair?

I guess I should've voted for rollersets. I use a caruso-like product called Remington flexi curl, it works fast and with no heat damage at all - love it

I apply before I get dressed and take them down 10-15 minutes when I'm about to leave the house absolutely brill:yep:

hothair

My hair is very very fine, and it works great. I can't find the cable to upload pics, the only thing I found using hairspray (joico) before I apply makes the curls last longer. Its not fiddly and doesn't use steam like caruso. I just moisturise with giovanni direct leave in (a little) seal with a little oil apply hair spray and put it in I use about 10-13 (there are twenty), I usually don't even have to comb my hair before hand.

bklynbornNbred

Definitely rollersets. Manipulate your hair one time then your hair is good for the week.
With braidouts you are messing with it every day and inevitably your ends are not as nice.

levette

I vote alternating between the two. I have finally mastered my braidouts to have no more than 4 plaits and using carol's daughter healthy butter and b&b castor oil moisturizer. My ends usually stay moisturized but I do spritz my hair with water almost every night and rebraiding in usually 2 to 4 braids. My rollersets I tend to pincurl unless I set spiral set it on small rollers (takes forever to dry) and I can go a week with this style. But in the summer time, braidouts and buns are my staple along with co-washing.

candy626

Rollersets. I never got too much into braidouts though as they do nothing for my hair since it's already very curly. In fact I think they make my curls look dull. But back in the day it took maybe a year and a half
to grow my hair from shoulder length to bra strap, when I just had it rollerset with the roots blown out.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
For me, bunning helped me retain almost all my length. All I did was slap some Afroveda shea amla on and seal with hot 6 oil after my wash and condition. It was so easy! I miss the ease of relaxed hair right now.:ohwell:

TeeSGee

I voted for rollersets.Istarted doing ponytail rollersets at the beginging of sept, and haven't gone back to blow drying or flationing.My hair retains moisture and length better and my ends are smooth.. I've tried doing braid-outs but always seem to get horrible results; dry hair and tangly ends.

NIN4eva

I don't do either anymore since getting cut to shoulder length. I just cross wrap at night now. If I want a little curl or wave I use my hot rollers for about 5 min. That Remington thing looks really interesting though...

Evolving78

i retain the most with roller set. my hair stays soft the whole week. and i only finger comb after my hair has been set. i wear my hair in a curly style.

abcd09

I voted for rollersets.Istarted doing ponytail rollersets at the beginging of sept, and haven't gone back to blow drying or flationing.My hair retains moisture and length better and my ends are smooth.. I've tried doing braid-outs but always seem to get horrible results; dry hair and tangly ends.
TeeSGee what's a ponytail roller set??

H0tPinkButtafly

I like rollersets Better than braidouts too. My braidouts last about 3/4 days while I can get a rollerset to last almost 2 weeks. A braidout on old rollerset hair shouldn't be to damaging because the hair is already smooth

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using T-Mobile myTouch 3G