Rollersetting 2011! (Challenge, Tips, Techniques, etc.)

Evolving78

pookaloo83
hey lady! i responded, but the board is acting crazy for me right now. i have to open to windows to read the hair boards, as well as off topic.
but to answer the question. the answer is no, not really. i mean it's indirect heat, so it won't cause damage like blow dryers, flat irons, etc... but having the setting on high can dry your hair out if it is not properly moisturized and seal with a heat protectant.

Well you could have answered my question upthread when I asked if you could get heat damage from rollersetting often by the hooded dryer. Everyone just skipped right on past my post. I see ya'll! :ohwell:

Tamster

I really want to try rollersetting (i got the straight bug!). I highly doubt I can do it myself, but what are some tips for getting natural hair straight? Is it even possible to get the roots straight without practically ripping your hair out?

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I didnt know you could get heat damage from using a hooded dryer:ohwell:

I've been using a flat iron to try to get the curls I want. It's not from the hooded dryer.:lol: I am trying to get the relaxed look, but it's not working for me.:nono: I will do further research when my hair gets longer.

Disaster last night. I tried the method in the Lorrainestips video, the non mohawk rollerset which I thought might be great since I have a center part. Nope, DISASTER!! It got so out of hand that I gave up and sat under the dryer with a big section not rolled at all. I had to flat iron way more than last time. My very first rollerset was such a success with the saggy clip on rollers and all and this time SUCKED! I'm still pissed off about this :(. That mohawk is a rule for a reason lol.

kblc06

I'm think I'm going to join this challenge and alternate with wigs for the rest of the year.

Starting Length/Goal Length: Starting Length is MBL/BSL, I'm trying to make it as close to WL as possible before the end of the year.
Why You Rollerset: My hair holds moisture so much better when its rollerset, and I've noticed that since eliminating direct heat, I have had much fewer split ends. My hair also like to split/SSK when left loose in its natural state
How Often: Probably once every 7-10 days,
Products: Cantu Shea Butter repair leave-in (the new formula is AMAZING!), Lacio Lacio, Chi Silk Infusion, and Setting Lotion (1/4 Black n Sassy 3/4 Water).
Techniques/Tools: (magnetic rollers? flexi-rods? hooded dryer?): Magnetic Rollers or Mesh, SalonsRUs hair dryer
Your #1 Piece of Advice on Rollersetting: For naturals, the key to getting smooth results is to keep the hair WET, roll with tension, and make sure the hair is completely, absolutely dry before completely taking down. I like to test this by taking down a roller in the thickest, hardest to dry sections in each quadrant of my head. If those sections are dry, then I'm 99.8% positive that the remaining sections are dry as well :yep:

Does anyone have tips on metal clip placement? I just have SOOO much trouble with those pesky clips lol. I'm slow lol. I'm ripping hairs and just not placing them right. Is there some trick to them?

kblc06

Does anyone have tips on metal clip placement? I just have SOOO much trouble with those pesky clips lol. I'm slow lol. I'm ripping hairs and just not placing them right. Is there some trick to them?
SerenavanderWoodsen
I find it much easier to use roller pins like so:
http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/co...rod6062596-product?V=G&ext=frgl_Google_Beauty

The ones for Sally's that come in a small plastic cup are better quality and last a long time.

I never could figure out how to use those damn duckbill clips. I tore all my hair out once trying :lol:

If you're rolling upwards, place the bobby pin at the front of the roller like so:

001-vi.jpg

I have some more tips in my rollersetting pictorial :

http://public.fotki.com/kblc06/new-hair-year-2-jan/wet-rollerset-tutor/

keepithealthy

I know the year is almost over but I've got the straight hair bug...especially with winter rolling in. I want to get away from blow drying because I think it is makes my hair dry I'm going to try roller setting every 7-10 days. I've only once done a successful roller set and it took FOREVER! I have yet to have had success with flexi-rods. So I'm going to alternate between the two. I have magnetic rollers and some snap on rollers. You ladies have done great with your sets. Rocky91 Girl you get down with some flexi rods!

Thanks kblc06.. off to look! I bought 5 packs of the metal clips :( and I keep making Sallys returns and seriously they'll think I'm a nutcase soon if they don't already so I reallly need to keep them and learn how to use them somehow. I refuse to throw out the money. Maybe I'll get one pack of the pins and see if I like them better though.

I have another question ladies.
When I'm rolling my hair I find that I have difficulty in getting the angle right so that it's nice and taut at the root. Does that make sense? I'll be rolling along and when I get to my root it doesn't even want to roll anymore because of the angle and my roots look frizzy on the roller and sometimes it even hurts because it's pulling awkwardly. I DESPISE that. I know those who are experienced must have a feel for what the proper angling is for rolling in different parts of the head but I can't seem to get it right. Am I imagining things? Or is this because my partings are awkward? I will NOT go back to flat ironing so I must master this and I will :)

Evolving78

you might be adding too much hair on the roller?

I have another question ladies.
When I'm rolling my hair I find that I have difficulty in getting the angle right so that it's nice and taut at the root. Does that make sense? I'll be rolling along and when I get to my root it doesn't even want to roll anymore because of the angle and my roots look frizzy on the roller and sometimes it even hurts because it's pulling awkwardly. I DESPISE that. I know those who are experienced must have a feel for what the proper angling is for rolling in different parts of the head but I can't seem to get it right. Am I imagining things? Or is this because my partings are awkward? I will NOT go back to flat ironing so I must master this and I will :)

you might be adding too much hair on the roller?
Okay, so that is what I'm doing wrong :lol:, I figured it may have been that but I didn't even want to admit it because I feel like I'll need to use so many rollers if I make the sections that small. Also, I've seen people use big secrions on YT and they roll just fine :cry3:. I'm doing my set over in a couple of days so we'll see.

@SerenavanderWoodsen
I find it much easier to use roller pins like so:
http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/co...rod6062596-product?V=G&ext=frgl_Google_Beauty

The ones for Sally's that come in a small plastic cup are better quality and last a long time.

I never could figure out how to use those damn duckbill clips. I tore all my hair out once trying :lol:

If you're rolling upwards, place the bobby pin at the front of the roller like so:

View attachment 127139

I have some more tips in my rollersetting pictorial :

kblc06, very helpful pictorial! I'm seriously going to study it before my next set. Some of those back/side areas are tricky as heck for me lol.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I just moisturize as needed. Sometimes I just use some coconut oil, sometime moisturizer and a little oil, but not too much product or the hair will become weighed down.

I do the same.

I learned using just leave-in, serum, and water from her, before I always used setting lotion. I don't remember her ever not using some type of leave-in and serum when rollersetting with water.
@H4irHappy - I might be mistaken on water only. A friend loaned me Macherie's roller set DVD so that's the process I implemented. Is that where you picked up her technique?

H4irHappy

@H4irHappy - I might be mistaken on water only. A friend loaned me Macherie's roller set DVD so that's the process I implemented. Is that where you picked up her technique?

divachyk It's been forever since I've seen the dvd, so she may have said just water on that and I just don't remember. But the leave-in, serum, and water technique I picked up from her rollersetting article on the HT website.

yoli184

At times, I see myself having problems placing the duck clips. Last week my rollerset took me 35 minutes. Today it took me 50 minutes:cry:. What's the best placement for the clip? Do you place it in the middle or towards the end of the roller??????

Evolving78

the middle and if you need to clip both sides.

At times, I see myself having problems placing the duck clips. Last week my rollerset took me 35 minutes. Today it took me 50 minutes:cry:. What's the best placement for the clip? Do you place it in the middle or towards the end of the roller??????

candy626

Can anyone recommend a very large hood dryer? I need one that's large enough for 2+ inch rollers? The Ion dryer I have from Sally's is kind of small...

^^ I was also going to ask about a dryer that will dry the lower portion of the back of my head. I'm going to try tilting my dryer but if that doesn't work I'll need a new dryer because this one is not getting down there.

sylver2

ok my pitiful ponytail rollerset lol. I don't like a lot of curls or volume. so I use the big rollers and small rollers just on certain parts. by day 3 my hair is flatter smoother in bantu knots and set lasts for 2 weeks. this is 1st night of set. only 1 Month post! I cut my hair back in april to apl.

NYDee

SerenavanderWoodsen, if your dryer is large enough, you can buy the grey rollers and pin the rollers to each other. I can't advice on pin placement, once I mastered making the hair on the roller taut, the roller stopped being wobbly. You can buy Micherie's (sp) video for the pull and pull method. It helped me a lot in learning how to make it taut. I haven't seen anyone on youtube do it like she does.

sylver2, your rollerset came out really nice. What kind of robber band did you use? My hair gets caught and tangled in them whenever I try to remove them from my hair. Your hair looks longer than APL and so full. My hair wants to be like yours when it grows up.

kblc06

Now at a cross roads, I need a better dryer as my dryer is not powerful enough to pull off a rollerset with longer hair. Sitting there for 2 hours is not the goal.

Also, thinking mesh rollers will work better. Who uses mesh rollers? any tips?

Also who has natural hair that rollersets? Do you have any special tips or products?

@mzteaze candy626SerenavanderWoodsen

I posted a rollerset tutorial album that may help you:

SalonsRUs has renamed its website and is selling their dryer for $129.99. They have great service and I really love this dryer :yep:. It's comparable to the Pibbs in that it has an upward circular airflow and dries hair fairly quickly with sleek results

http://lclbeauty.com/proddetail.php?prod=PRO-1028

Here's my normal routine:

Wash with Joico K-Pak Shampoo
-DC 2-3 hours (w/out heat) or 1 hour w/heat. I usually mix moisture and protein conditions for balance. Ex, Aussie 3 minute DC (for slip), Joico Moisture recovery (deep hydration), and Joico K-Pak Reconstructor (protein)
-After washing, I'll apply a dollop of leave-in (i.e. Cantu Shea butter) throughout my hair just to help it hold moisture
-I also sometimes apply Lacio Lacio or Salerm 21, Chi Silk Infusion, and water/setting lotion to each sectioned off piece of hair (per roller)

Tips:

-For naturals, you don't have to worry about using too much product unless you have very fine, silky hair (I don't :lol:). I like to saturate my hair with a blend of 1 or 2 heavy creamy moisturizers (cantu shea butter leave in, lacio lacio, or salerm 21), a serum, and very diluted setting lotion .

- Do not make your parts wider than the roller; as you roll, apply tension and push the hair falling off the sides of the roller towards the middle of the roller - if the parts aren't too wide, this won't be much of a problem.

-Keep hair very wet. Since my hair natural hair, it is very thready and spongy...it's not uncommon for me to have to spritz my hair a lot per section.

-Do NOT try to do a rollerset when you're tired- I promise you'll end up saying "Fcuk It" :nono:

-It is also easier to roll the perimeter sections (near the nape, sides, and front) going downwards, towards your skin, if that makes sense.

Last edited:

Napp

Ms. Nobody
SerenavanderWoodsen, if your dryer is large enough, you can buy the grey rollers and pin the rollers to each other. I can't advice on pin placement, once I mastered making the hair on the roller taut, the roller stopped being wobbly. You can buy Micherie's (sp) video for the pull and pull method. It helped me a lot in learning how to make it taut. I haven't seen anyone on youtube do it like she does.

sylver2, your rollerset came out really nice. What kind of robber band did you use? My hair gets caught and tangled in them whenever I try to remove them from my hair. Your hair looks longer than APL and so full. My hair wants to be like yours when it grows up.

i think i might buy the dvd eventually. no one wants to sell theirs!:ohwell:

Sunshine_One

^^^Girl go join her site for a month for $9.99. You will have access to all her tutorials in 2.5 seconds. lol Seriously she has many tutorials on roller setting using different type of rollers. It's cheaper than the dvd.:yep: I have the dvd purchased back in 2008. It only covers magnetic rollers.

sylver2

those goody ouchless. the thick black ones. they usually come out easily but if i feel any resistance at all i just cut it..lol