Sept-nov No Buy Challenge

CodeRed

One more goal: Figuring out how quickly I use up one bottle/jar of each product I use. I don't buy much new stuff but, I do buy backups of my staples whenever I get the buying urge. I would have reason to buy less often if I knew when I could conceivably use up what I had.

I returned some unopened hair products to Target and Sally's this evening. Instead of exchanging for more hair product, I bought some nail stuff and a toy for my son.

I like this idea. I think I'll track how quickly I use stuff in September.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse

Now I want but I cant

So how is the cristalise line? It's in my shopping cart.
I really like the mask. I haven't used the rest of the line. It has a pearly, creamy texture and it makes my hair soft.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I snuck in one last product while in Big Lots. I got the Herbal Essences Touchably Smooth anti frizz cream. It smells fantastic and reminds me of my old holy grail leave in Long Term Relationship. It was only 1.50!
upload_2016-9-1_0-13-12.png

Last edited:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Thanks for checking on us! :kiss:

I'm doing pretty well! I want to order the Amika Rx hair mask pretty badly. Naptural85 says it melted her tangles. Deep inhale, deep exhale. Also, there are some really beautifully sweet vendors at Etsy that deserve patronage and are having sales. Psychologically/spiritually I want to send money their way. Other than that, so far urges are at bay. I'm making it because I have a schedule/plan for when I get to have fun with my stash. On other days, I am disciplining myself to stick to a really good product combination for my hair--one that I need to appreciate and enjoy. It's only two days in, but adopting that mentality is helping me deal with not buying . . . so far. ;)

I'm REALLY grateful to be doing this no-buy. I would have spent at least $60 on Amika products yesterday (mannnnnnnnn, already! Yeesh!!!) if not for being a part of this no-buy. I'm going to earn the "need" to purchase the Amika products by using up products over these three months. :yep:

Thank you for asking! It definitely helps to reflect. :laugh: My resolve is reinforced. :yep:

ETA: Love the hash tag! #teamnobuy indeed!

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
It's Day 2... How are you doing ladies? #teamnobuy

Doing great. Haven't thought about hair products purchases. I'm stocked up until the challenge ends.

However, my skin care items are completely out! I'm out of exfoliater, eye cream and day/night moisturizer. My staple skin care line is Nuxe. I saw it in my Target a few months ago (which was odd) because I usually am only able to get it online. Well went to Target today and there was not one item in sight. :dighole: I went ahead and purchased some Yes to Carrots facial moisturizer to get me through the rest of the month.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I shared this at the random thoughts thread but will also share it here (because of #7).

In the middle of full wash day right now, so I have a lot of random hair thoughts at the moment.
  1. I'm currently "plopping" for the first time. I think this technique is mis-named. "Plopping" sounds like a repetitive action.
  2. DevaCurl Decadence One Condition has holy grail status. I didn't even realize it until today, and I've been using it for a couple of months or so.
  3. I had a few really rough, high-up tangles. I was going to clip them, but hubby yelled, "Don't you clip those inches! I'll get those knots out." And he did! I don't know how he does it.
  4. Giovanni products don't penetrate my hair. I wonder why?
  5. Instead of LCO-ing, I'm LOC-ing. And I'm replacing my C with curl activator. We'll see how this goes. :smile:
  6. I use one of two favorite DCs as my detangler. The other favorite DC I use as a cowash. I need an actual favorite DC.
  7. Hubby listened to me explain how I want to give some money to PerfectBlends, and he gave me an extra buying pass. Yeah, boi! I'll try to spend it on body wash or body lotion. :pulpdance:

Aggie

Right here waiting on APB to start that sale. I did get a much needed Chi curling iron from JC Penny last night. It was on sale for $40 plus I got free shipping. I also got a Chi Iron Guard protection spray with it for around $7 and some change. Truthfully, I couldn't beat those prices anywhere else if I tried.

I got a few other necessities that will carry me over through the next 3 months except Netwurks 21 which I will purchase when needed. I have enough on hand for now.

xu93texas

I haven't had the urge to purchase any hair products. In fact, I returned some items to Target and Sally's that I bought on 8/31. I also gave a coworker a bottle of shampoo.

I'm getting my hair braided tomorrow and back to wearing wigs as my protective style. I'll only be washing/DC 1-2 times per month, therefore I won't be using up these products as often as I want to.

Holla

This thread is right on time for me. I am FIGHTING the urge to reup my favorite conditioner. I mean they even have a sale (PLEASE LET THEM HAVE A SALE IN NOV! PLEASE!!!) going on right now. I realize that I have a LOT of hair products that I should be using up instead of adding more to my stash. I envy people who have 1 of everything and they are good. I'm going to get through my stash, list my HG products, and stick to those. I don't need 50-11 leave in stuff and 10 different conditioners.

So my no-buy will be until Black Friday. I'll need stuff by then.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I'm in. I didn't think I could do a no buy, but I can't remember the last time I purchased a hair product other than the Netwurks revitalizer.

My personal goals are:
1. Save at least $300 by the end of the year.
2. Use some of these products I've never tried.
3. Decrease deep conditioner count to under 15.

That would take me a year to do :look:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I am wearing a duby wig for a couple days, so I braided my hair tonight (celies). I massaged my scalp with Nioxin treatment. It feels nice and tingly. I may end up using my pass on another bottle of Nioxin if I run out this month. I'm trying to thicken my edges and increase density overall

LdyKamz

Do bobby pins count as a hair product? I ran out this morning and I need some.

I'm trying hard to get rid of all the oil I have. I'm doing well with the scalp massages. I never really noticed a difference doing the massages with oil and I'm almost hoping it doesn't work because I want to get rid of all this oil and not have to repurchase ever again.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Do bobby pins count as a hair product? I ran out this morning and I need some.

I'm trying hard to get rid of all the oil I have. I'm doing well with the scalp massages. I never really noticed a difference doing the massages with oil and I'm almost hoping it doesn't work because I want to get rid of all this oil and not have to repurchase ever again.
If you run out of something you can replace it. That doesn't count as your pass

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
Had to use an emergency pass. Having some serious issues with my nape that's almost making me cry. It's not hereditary or health related so I got some Yerba herbal concentrate to try to resolve the problem before I get extremely frustrated and shave 1/4 of my head. It seems to be great with filling in thinning and weak spots.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I miss having hair that "falls."

Next wash and go, I'm going to try to stretch my hair so that it dries to frame my face a little better.

I wish there was a safe curl loosening treatment I could do.

I love my curl pattern, it's just the density of my hair that gets me. My hair is so uber-dense that it can only grow out.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I miss having hair that "falls."

Next wash and go, I'm going to try to stretch my hair so that it dries to frame my face a little better.

I wish there was a safe curl loosening treatment I could do.

I love my curl pattern, it's just the density of my hair that gets me. My hair is so uber-dense that it can only grow out.

I gotta get you some patience pills. They're slow, but they work.