3 Month "no Buy" Challenge

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Dh pretty much uses whatever he sees for his hair. He called me today asking me to buy Him some more Frizz Ease leave in cream... I had no idea he had used up my straightening cream. First the aloe vera gel, now this. I'm going to start charging him a product fee:lol:

How am I going to survive another No Buy with dh using up all my stuff?

Aggie

Dh pretty much uses whatever he sees for his hair. He called me today asking me to buy Him some more Frizz Ease leave in cream... I had no idea he had used up my straightening cream. First the aloe vera gel, now this. I'm going to start charging him a product fee:lol:

How am I going to survive another No Buy with dh using up all my stuff?
That's funny. Thank goodness he takes great care of you:yep:.

LdyKamz

OK so here's what I need to buy:

• Shea Moisture curl and style milk (2)
  • It's a 10 Miracle Leave in with Keratin (the big bottle)
  • Paul Mitchell Instant Moisture Shampoo /Daily Treatment and Supercharged Moisturizer
  • Curls Passion Fruit Control Paste
  • Joico Moisture Recovery Balm (2) If I can find a huge tub that would be nice.
  • Taliah Waajid Curly Curl Cream (2)
  • Aussie Moist Shampoo and Conditioner Liter bottles( don't need 3 minute miracle conditioner since I have 4 tubes. They were on sale the last time I bought 5 for $20)
And I think that's it. Too much? :drunk: I know I'll probably add to the list. I should be set for 3 months. I think I'll also buy just one thing I haven't tried yet. Maybe that delicious stuff @lulu97 posted before. In the pink bottles. What is it called again? Enjoy?

Bought everything except the bolded.

Last edited:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
OK so here's what I need to buy:

• Shea Moisture curl and style milk (2)
  • It's a 10 Miracle Leave in with Keratin (the big bottle)
  • Paul Mitchell Instant Moisture Shampoo /Daily Treatment and Supercharged Moisturizer
  • Curls Passion Fruit Control Paste
  • Joico Moisture Recovery Balm (2) If I can find a huge tub that would be nice.
  • Taliah Waajid Curly Curl Cream (2)
  • Aussie Moist Shampoo and Conditioner Liter bottles( don't need 3 minute miracle conditioner since I have 4 tubes. They were on sale the last time I bought 5 for $20)
And I think that's it. Too much? :drunk: I know I'll probably add to the list. I should be set for 3 months. I think I'll also buy just one thing I haven't tried yet. Maybe that delicious stuff @lulu97 posted before. In the pink bottles. What is it called again? Enjoy?

Yes it was Enjoy. It's good but so expensive! Honestly after a few months of alternating it with my Joico...it's doesn't compare. Joico still wins. I think our hair likes similar products so if I had to choose for "our" hair...it would still be Joico. I have more Joico products I like now in addition to the Moisture Recovery line. The color endure (red bottle) shampoo is sulfate free and awesome. The intense hydrator deep conditioner is perfect. *imagine me kissing my fingers like the Italians when they eat a yummy meal* MMMMM GEWD!!!

LdyKamz

Yes it was Enjoy. It's good but so expensive! Honestly after a few months of alternating it with my Joico...it's doesn't compare. Joico still wins. I think our hair likes similar products so if I had to choose for "our" hair...it would still be Joico. I have more Joico products I like now in addition to the Moisture Recovery line. The color endure (red bottle) shampoo is sulfate free and awesome. The intense hydrator deep conditioner is perfect. *imagine me kissing my fingers like the Italians when they eat a yummy meal* MMMMM GEWD!!!
Yes I saw the intense hydrator before and wanted to pick it up! But it's part of the KPak line so I wasn't sure about it. I also wanted to try the revitalux but wasn't sure what the difference was between that and the reconstructor. Hmmm now you've got me thinking. I have an opening to try something new and I want to make it good.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I realize the main reason I keep purchasing stuff is because I've been having a challenge with knots and tangles. However, I need to put the BREAKS on the buying. :)

I'm posting in prep for joining the next no-buy, since it's so close to the end of the current no-buy duration.

• I will give myself a pass regarding ONE detangling aid, because that goes under the "setbacks" area, in my opinion.
  • I have scheduled a hair appointment and will give myself a pass for purchasing the maintenance products they recommend IF and ONLY IF products in my current stash will not do.
  • I will give myself a pass to purchase the Ouidad detangling double comb IF it makes sense.
Otherwise, no buying. :nono2: I just really don't need to otherwise, and I need to understand that emotionally, LOL! I need to remind myself that I don't need to buy any more as I have Bekura products on the way AND the following is working JUST fine:

1. Pre-pooing with oils
2. Alternating water-only and clay washing (i.e. avoiding poos and thus avoiding stripping of oils)
3. Oil rinsing with grapeseed oil
4. Using Oyin Hair Dew as a leave-in moisturizer
5. Using Camille Rose Naturals Curl Maker or Shea Moisture's High Porosity gel as a styler/sealer

Okay. Woooosaaaaaa. This is going to be GREAT for my wallet! :yep:

CodeRed

Ok so... I bought 2 shampoos today and didn't even think about this no-buy :lol: I'm almost out of shampoo and forgot that I have 3 days left on this... It's not coming in until next week so I won't actually be adding it to my stash until it gets here....

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Last day of the challenge y'all!!!

I think I've used up around 9 products in the last 3 months. (Some were samples, some were almost empty anyway)

Don't currently need anything so I won't be purchasing anything during our "down month of August". My focus is furnishing my "mom cave" at the moment so I'm all about shopping for girly decor.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Nice job, ladies. :smile:

@Prettymetty, I love you for doing these!

I so, SO need to be up in here starting September. This is the challenge that's going to keep me a happy and learning natural. I can't learn what works if I buy, buy, buy, buy . . .

This challenge REALLY makes me think and prep. LOVE IT!

Aggie

I'm not buying much in August though. The only product line I really want is Annabelle's Perfect Blends. I want most of her refreshers and leave-ins. I also want a couple creams and deep conditioners as well.

I am also interested in SheScentIt Marula Hemp Hair cream and Marshmallow Hair Cream as well because they are light and fluffy and feels very moisturizing on my hair.

If Bekura has another sale, I may re-up on the honey latte and YAM Nectar. After that I will be okay for the month of August.

I have given away at least 5 wigs and threw out about 6 of them during this challenge and gave away to family members some other hair products as well.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I'm going to do my best to stick with the rules of the September-November challenge. :pray:

:laugh:

Lawd, me, too! Right there WITH you: :pray: :laugh:

ETA: I'm going to get the Ouidad Double Detangling comb, the NaturelleGrow conditioners (because people keep saying "my tangles just melt"), and the Anabelle PerfectBlends Ayurvedic Hair Creme, Banana Coconut Butter Creme, and a Refresher spray that all come highly, highly recommend.

Other than that: I gotta, gahhhhhhhhhhhta stop!

Last edited:

Aggie

:laugh:

Lawd, me, too! Right there WITH you: :pray: :laugh:

ETA: I'm going to get the Ouidad Double Detangling comb, the NaturelleGrow conditioners (because people keep saying "my tangles just melt"), and the Anabelle PerfectBlends Ayurvedic Hair Creme, Banana Coconut Butter Creme, and a Refresher spray that all come highly, highly recommend.

Other than that: I gotta, gahhhhhhhhhhhta stop!

In reference to the bold, I have the Conair brand of this same comb that Target sells and I believe they work the same way, Conair being a lot cheaper and smaller of course:yep:

Last edited:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
@Aggie you can do it!

@YvetteWithJoy you are going to save so much money if you join us for 3 months. Last challenge I saved quite a bit. I didn't realize it then, but all my extra money was going on hair accessories, wigs and products. Hair care is my addiction:look:

@Prettymetty, you got me hype over here to get on top of this hair product/tool purchasing thing, do it smart and wise, and save money in the process! :wiggle: :woot::strong::clapping:

It's good to hear that you saved quite a bit of money and the no-buy works! :smile: Yay!

I can hardly express how grateful and happy I am that you're keeping this going. Knowing that I will be doing a 3-month no-buy is causing me to FOCUS my purchasing to get what I really want and need (to be able to SURVIVE for 3 months, lol) instead of just grabbing interesting stuff. (Though, I'm sure to my hubby and other outsiders it doesn't LOOK like it. :laugh:) Because I've got to use TODAY'S MONEY to make sure I'm emotionally, psychologically, and actually SET for 3 months, I'm honing in. This is saving me money even now, before the no-buy has started. Win, win, win!

And I can't believe it! I have just 4 . . . FOUR!!! . . . products left to buy before I would feel 100% okay being on a 3-month no-buy. And to be factual, if I only obtained TWO of them (those supposed-to-be tangles-melting conditioners from NaturalleGrow), I'm pretty sure I could do it and without pain. ;)

:thankyou::urock:

Aggie

I just went to my APB cart and reduced what I'm ordering since I don't need it all. They are having a sale on the 5th-7th. What or even IF I purchase will depend heavily on how big the sale is. If it's not worth it, then I'll save one of my passes for either labor day or black Friday sales.

I may not get the SSI stuff as yet either - also saving for the LD or BF sales. I have some products to use up and I think I'd better do just that...use them up:yep:.

I also need to see if I can slash at least one of my credit card debts in half, then cut it up.