Sept-nov No Buy Challenge

Still doing good. I've used up 2 products so far. At the end of the no buy, I'm only allowing myself to purchase half of the number I use up. (In an effort to get rid of that extra product box)

I think I can probably knock out 6 more before the no buy ends. So that will be a total of 8 used up and I'll only buy 4 (well if I need to)

I really hate having excess. I was cleaning my closet today and saw that box and thought: Wow, this really serves no purpose for me and no longer flows with the way I live.

I miss having hair that "falls."

Next wash and go, I'm going to try to stretch my hair so that it dries to frame my face a little better.

I wish there was a safe curl loosening treatment I could do.

I love my curl pattern, it's just the density of my hair that gets me. My hair is so uber-dense that it can only grow out.
I wish I had that problem. My hair doesn't grow out. It falls flat no matter what I do. My strands are fine with lowish density

Last edited:
I used up a jar of TJ EVCO and just opened my last one.

I didn't get my hair braided because I have major heat damage!! I want to do a few weeks of protein treatments and give my hair some extra TLC before braiding my hair down. Will probably have to transition longterm and trim the damage off slowly.

I need a pick (?) these roots after the perfect twist out are too telling. I'll carry my wife tooth comb with me from now on.

Doing good since my LD haul on the weekend. I am going to take this one day at a time. There are some other items I still want like Jakeala products. It's a good thing they are closed right now though:look:.

I should wash my hair today and redo my braids. I wanted to straighten it, but the rain is coming down so hard.

I used up a jar of TJ EVCO and just opened my last one.

I didn't get my hair braided because I have major heat damage!! I want to do a few weeks of protein treatments and give my hair some extra TLC before braiding my hair down. Will probably have to transition longterm and trim the damage off slowly.

Well this no buy challenge just got easier. I woke up this morning and did BC #3.
I just couldn't take the way my hair looked with the heat damage. I wanted my curls back even if it meant chopping my hair off.

Congrats on your big chop @xu93texas! What caused the heat damage?

Thank you! I flat ironed for a LC on 8/23 and I've washed my hair 3 times since and my curls didn't come back. I've flat ironed before and never had an issue. This last time was different.

At first I was nonchalant about it because I was like "there is no way I'm cutting my hair ". But, I woke up this morning and said I miss my curls!! I want my curls back! So I grabbed my scissors and did my 3rd and final BC.... I respect my curls now. Lol! I'm not against heat, but it'll be a long time before I use heat again.

I used Sprangz today! :look:

Last night/today's wash day and the ah-mazing smells all night and this morning are a hit! My hair feels soft and smells yummy.
  1. I deep conditioned overnight with HairVeda's Sitrinillah Deep Conditioner which I rinsed out with cool water in the morning,
  2. I applied DevaCurl One Condition to my roots (I could see in my shower mirror that definition was needed at the roots),
  3. I applied Bekura's Honey Latte Milk all over and flashed it under the shower water to further distribute it then applied a little more,
  4. I applied Blue Roze Cream Gel (Oh! So wonderful to take a BREAK FROM goopy gel!!! :clap:),
  5. I put Sprangz on about 15 hair sections to elongate my hair as it dried, and
  6. I used the diffuser to hurry along the drying (I'm taking the 6-year-old to his cousin's birthday party today and have to get moving).

Attachments

• WP_20160910_006.jpg
    WP_20160910_006.jpg
    511.5 KB · Views: 20
  • WP_20160910_013.jpg
    WP_20160910_013.jpg
    451.1 KB · Views: 19
I used my September shopping pass to purchase three wigs, some oils, and more Ayurveda powders today.

Your hair looks great in your avi. Is that your new length after the recent chop, or is that your old length?

Where did you purchase your wigs? I need to find ONE wig that works -- so that on some days I can two-strand twist my hair and wear a wig to protect my hair.

Your hair looks great in your avi. Is that your new length after the recent chop, or is that your old length?

Where did you purchase your wigs? I need to find ONE wig that works -- so that on some days I can two-strand twist my hair and wear a wig to protect my hair.

Thanks! The pic is my old length. I cut off all my hair because the heat damage went down to the roots. My hair was bone straight from the crown to the front.

I purchase my wigs online. I don't spend a lot on wigs because I go through them quickly and I don't like washing them because they don't look the same to me afterwards. Have you tried any wigs on at Jenny's?

Thanks! The pic is my old length. I cut off all my hair because the heat damage went down to the roots. My hair was bone straight from the crown to the front.

I purchase my wigs online. I don't spend a lot on wigs because I go through them quickly and I don't like washing them because they don't look the same to me afterwards. Have you tried any wigs on at Jenny's?

No. I need to. I bought two from Jenny BS when I had a TWA. They were straight and looked fake to me. Maybe I need to lower my standards. I hope to try a curly wig soon.

I won't buy, but I really want to buy! I am so glad I am in this no-buy. I see that I actually have a PROBLEM!

So let me make sure I've talked myself down:
  • I have great cleansers: clay and DevaCurl No Poo
  • I have a likely great cowash purchased with a pass, on the way: APB Agave Blue cowash
  • I have a great detangler: NaturelleGrow Protein-free Marshmallow . . . DC
  • I have a great conditioner: DevaCurl Decadence One Condition
  • I have a great moisturizer: Oyin Hair Dew
  • I have a great oil: jojoba
  • I have enough DCs to trial: SM Coconut Fusion, Sitrinillah, two APB DCs, Bekura Y.A.M.
  • I have enough stylers to play with: Curl Maker, Curl Stimulator, Ultra Defining Gel, couple of gel creams, several custards, etc.
  • And I have LOTS of samples to play with!
Focus, Vette! The focus is SAVING MONEY.

I refused to go into Ulta (where DevaCurl products might discounted) without hubby there with me to stop me from purchasing. I just wanted to look. They are not on sale at the Ulta near me. Phew. Still hanging in! :yep:

The sales person said, "Lookin' for something to help those pretty curls?" I faintly said (gulp) "Yeah." She said "Try this Ouidad product here on discount." I said, "Is it good for defining curls?" She said, "Oh, yes. And compare it to the price over there on the regular shelf." I held up the product (a cowash :nono:) and said, "So, just twirl this into my curls and leave it in? And it's great for my hair, huh?" She said, "Oh, yes!"

I strongly feel she was just trying to move product. She didn't even know what the product was. I hightailed it out of there, all money still in my accounts. WOOT!

I've been doing pretty well. I only bought Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo since I needed a clarifier. I'm not going to lie, I do have about 5 mock carts going on. But I don't feel a driving need to try anything new (right now) because I have a lot of stuff I need to use that I haven't even tried yet and I have had for well over a year.

I already gave my sister and her two daughters some DCs and moisturizers and working on bringing my stash down further since my storage room is now starting to close in on me.

I was in there today trying to make some sense of where everything is and organizing them according to how I will be using them, thanks to @YvetteWithJoy. Love you girl. Stay strong - you can do this. Listen to your hubby. He is a source of strength for you. You need him - use him! In a good way of course:look:.

Back