3 Month "no Buy" Challenge

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Story about my prep for the upcoming no-buy:

All three of my online orders of hair products (ordered on vastly different days) arrived on the same day -- today! -- while I was with baby at The Little Gym.

I get back home and hubby walks out the door to greet me. The three packages are sitting on the porch. He says: "I don't think your no-buy is working. This upcoming no-buy is making you go-buy. What y'all NEED to do is create a hair product budget . . . say $20/month . . . with a 'no-buy after budgeted funds gone.' How much did this cost, anyway?"

That's when I explain to him that instead of spending like crazy for each of 3 months, I'm spending this month only and will be "forced" to see if what I have works instead of being free to just buy, buy, buy all those 3 months. THAT'S the benefit. Plus the peace of mind of knowing I have on hand all I need to work on nailing my regimen. THAT is a LOVELY feeling! Much better than the anxiety of spending on buying, buying, buying products. without sufficiently trying, trying, trying products.

$20/month, though! :smile:

Aggie

Story about my prep for the upcoming no-buy:

All three of my online orders of hair products (ordered on vastly different days) arrived on the same day -- today! -- while I was with baby at The Little Gym.

I get back home and hubby walks out the door to greet me. The three packages are sitting on the porch. He says: "I don't think your no-buy is working. This upcoming no-buy is making you go-buy. What y'all NEED to do is create a hair product budget . . . say $20/month . . . with a 'no-buy after budgeted funds gone.' How much did this cost, anyway?"

That's when I explain to him that instead of spending like crazy for each of 3 months, I'm spending this month only and will be "forced" to see if what I have works instead of being free to just buy, buy, buy all those 3 months. THAT'S the benefit. Plus the peace of mind of knowing I have on hand all I need to work on nailing my regimen. THAT is a LOVELY feeling! Much better than the anxiety of spending on buying, buying, buying products. without sufficiently trying, trying, trying products.

$20/month, though! :smile:
@YvetteWithJoy

Your hubby want us to die eh? :lachen: That was too funny. $20! Ha!

YvetteWithJoy

On break
@YvetteWithJoy

Your hubby want us to die eh? :lachen: That was too funny. $20! Ha!

:laugh:

I had to make sure my eyes didn't bulge when he said that! 'Cause then he would have been like, "Wait. Why is that shocking to you? How much DO you spend on hair care per month?"

So I played it cool while inside I was straight gasping! "$20 a . . . How in the . . . "

*faints

Lol!

:lachen:

Last edited:

Aggie

:laugh:

I had to make sure my eyes didn't bulge when he said that! 'Cause then he would have been like, "Wait. Why is that shocking to you? How much DO you spend on hair care per month?"

So I played it cool while inside I was straight gasping! "$20 a . . . How in the . . . "

*faints

Lol!

:lachen:
Girl I know right! I ain't married yet but that man, whoever he is, gon die when he sees how much hair products I own...:rofl:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I'm pretty sure I'm going to purchase these products in prep for the no-buy:
http://beautynaturallyfrugal.blogspot.com/2013/10/marc-anthony-stretch-curl-cream.html

I'm kind of sad that I found out about them (Nikki Curly raves about the Stretch product), but I'm not: If they do me good, I definitely won't purchase the Tree Naturals Whipped Curling Cream (or whatever it's called). That'll save.

They are not CG -friendly, though! :( One contains mineral oil, and so I'm off to read about that. Sigh . . .

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Y'all bet not be spending all y'all pay check during this free month of our no buy!!! :lachen::lachen:

I haven't purchased anything YET, however I'll do a lil shopping today for some conditioners. I've been running through those like water since I'm out of that sew in and washing more frequently....(every 5 days or so) I really just need a few more deep conditioners and I'll be set for the next no buy starting in a few weeks.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Y'all bet not be spending all y'all pay check during this free month of our no buy!!! :lachen::lachen:

I haven't purchased anything YET, however I'll do a lil shopping today for some conditioners. I've been running through those like water since I'm out of that sew in and washing more frequently....(every 5 days or so) I really just need a few more deep conditioners and I'll be set for the next no buy starting in a few weeks.

LOL!

I'm glad you'll be set soon! :yep:

Oy, I'm so hair-care fatigued right now. I'm going to run into the arms of this no-buy like Baby ran into Patrick Swayze's character's arms!

YvetteWithJoy

On break
@YvetteWithJoy Welcome to the forum! :bighug:

Hope you are enjoying yourself so far.

Don't have your husband coming after us :bat:. We are trying to keep you from becoming a PJ with this challenge. That's a trap you don't wanna fall into. It's a deep hole to crawl up from.

Oh, thanks so MUCH for the warm welcome, @lulu97.

For the first two years of my natural hair journey, I just wouldn't buy stuff: I just dealt with dry hair and was afraid of becoming a PJ. Now, three years in (I think!), I'm close to re-relaxing my natural hair.

So I (and my husband, too), have given myself permission to kind of just "go at it" and try to figure this out before throwing away three years of work to transition, go natural, etc.

I'm uber sensitive and it makes me sad and makes me feel bad that I come across as a PJ or even a border-line PJ because of the above. Once I find a very good product or HG product, I don't keep looking and buying just for fun or variety. If my hair wasn't dry and tangly, I wouldn't purchase a THING!

I've made a lot of strides in the past month. Detangling is INFINITELY better. Moisture is much better. I'm close to having my staples and HG's figured out. I just don't think I can go into year 4 frustrated.

I know that it's NOT JUST ABOUT products but also about technique, but I gotta tell ya: Having the wrong product for your hair's properties can cause problems, and finding a product that does your hair very good saves so much drama, pain, length, time, etc.

Last edited:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Oh, thanks so MUCH for the warm welcome, @lulu97.

For the first two years of my natural hair journey, I just wouldn't buy stuff: I just dealt with dry hair and was afraid of becoming a PJ. Now, three years in (I think!), I'm close to re-relaxing my natural hair.

So I (and my husband, too), have given myself permission to kind of just "go at it" and try to figure this out before throwing away three years of work to transition, go natural, etc.

I'm uber sensitive and it makes me sad and makes me feel bad that I come across as a PJ or even a border-line PJ because of the above. Once I find a very good product or HG product, I don't keep looking and buying just for fun or variety. If my hair wasn't dry and tangly, I wouldn't purchase a THING!

I've made a lot of strides in the past month. Detangling is INFINITELY better. Moisture is much better. I'm close to having my staples and HG's figured out. I just don't think I can go into year 4 frustrated.

I know that it's NOT JUST ABOUT products but also about technique, but I gotta tell ya: Having the wrong product for your hair's properties can cause problems, and find a product that does your hair very good saves so much drama, pain, length, time, etc.

It sounds like you are making progress in the products department. So what area are you left to nail down?

YvetteWithJoy

On break
It sounds like you are making progress in the products department. So what area are you left to nail down?

Thanks for asking!

I'm having THREE problems and have TWO needs.

Problem #1: My hair won't elongate in water to the wonderful extent it used to. So now my wash-and-go's make me feel very self-conscious because my hair hardly frames my face anymore. I think the cause is a DC I did with the SM 10-in-1 Masque. It may be that before the DC, my hair was limp because it was unhealthy, and I didn't know it and was just appreciating the hang. Since that SM DC, man! My hair is UBER shrunken. Also, I'm wondering if it's the protein in my DevaCurl Decadence Poo and Condition One are causing even MORE shrinkage. Whatever the cause, my lovely No Poo shrinks my hair up. :( It is weird: I used to leave the shower with defined, elongated hair. Now I'm leaving with very shrunk up hair.

I've been giving myself moisture treatments to see if my protein is just really high or something (thus the uber shrunkenness) and simply needs to be balanced out with moisture. I'll have to see if it's getting better over time. RELATED: I have a sample product I just tried yesterday that allowed me to elongate and literally shape my wash and go: The Original Moxie Shape Shifter (it's just an elongating, shaping, moisturizer). I skipped gel so I could analyze its effects alone. My hair was fluffy though elongated. Strange! The product creator says I need to use their gel over it if I don't want fluffy but want sleek. I have samples. We'll see.

Problem #2: I have a little less definition in my crown after I shower. Strange. So now I'm trying to figure out how to define it and capture it with a gel or styling cream. However . . .

Problem #3: Gel dries out my hair. Like, in 5 hours, I'm starting to feel the dryness. I've tried leave-in under it, butter over and under it, oil over and under it. SIGH!!!!!!! Some Marc Anthony Strictly Curls Stretch and Lotion combo was less drying than anything I've tried, but I hate hate hate the ingredients. Makes me want to clarify, and that's a bad cycle to get into.

NEED: A super detangling, defining, moisturizing cowash.
NEED: A moisturizing, moisture-trapping gel.

I think I might have found the cowash. If I can't make the gel work, then I'm just going to rock a fluffy afro for a while and let it go. I do have several gels to play with . . . to combine with different leave-ins during the no-buy. Maybe I'll find a winning combo.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Thanks for asking!

I'm having THREE problems and have TWO needs.

Problem #1: My hair won't elongate in water to the wonderful extent it used to. So now my wash-and-go's make me feel very self-conscious because my hair hardly frames my face anymore. I think the cause is a DC I did with the SM 10-in-1 Masque. It may be that before the DC, my hair was limp because it was unhealthy, and I didn't know it and was just appreciating the hang. Since that SM DC, man! My hair is UBER shrunken. Also, I'm wondering if it's the protein in my DevaCurl Decadence Poo and Condition One are causing even MORE shrinkage. Whatever the cause, my lovely No Poo shrinks my hair up. :( It is weird: I used to leave the shower with defined, elongated hair. Now I'm leaving with very shrunk up hair.

I've been giving myself moisture treatments to see if my protein is just really high or something (thus the uber shrunkenness) and simply needs to be balanced out with moisture. I'll have to see if it's getting better over time. RELATED: I have a sample product I just tried yesterday that allowed me to elongate and literally shape my wash and go: The Original Moxie Shape Shifter (it's just an elongating, shaping, moisturizer). I skipped gel so I could analyze its effects alone. My hair was fluffy though elongated. Strange! The product creator says I need to use their gel over it if I don't want fluffy but want sleek. I have samples. We'll see.

Problem #2: I have a little less definition in my crown after I shower. Strange. So now I'm trying to figure out how to define it and capture it with a gel or styling cream. However . . .

Problem #3: Gel dries out my hair. Like, in 5 hours, I'm starting to feel the dryness. I've tried leave-in under it, butter over and under it, oil over and under it. SIGH!!!!!!! Some Marc Anthony Strictly Curls Stretch and Lotion combo was less drying than anything I've tried, but I hate hate hate the ingredients. Makes me want to clarify, and that's a bad cycle to get into.

I think I might have found the cowash. If I can't make the gel work, then I'm just going to rock a fluffy afro for a while and let it go. I do have several gels to play with . . . to combine with different leave-ins during the no-buy. Maybe I'll find a winning combo.

Preface: Just my opinions...you know your hair better than me. Maybe this will help, maybe it won't

Problem 1: Doesn't sound like a product issue...moreso technique...keep in mind shrinkage is good...it's a sign of hair health. What about stretching your wash and go's to elongate them? I've seen people use the concentration nozzle on their blow dryer (stretching the roots), ponytails, buns, a pineapple, banding. Search for a technique, not a product.

Problem 2: I think crown issues are pretty common...most of us have issues with that area being dry due to it having the most exposure to the sun. Try adding extra product to that area. If it's well moisturized, you may have better luck with definition.

Problem 3: I feel you on this. I hate gel in my hair. I hate the way it feels and that fake plastic look it gives. I use it every now and again on my edges...I prefer Camille Rose Aloe Whip butter gel. It's a very moisturizing cream with a slight hold. I have been using that for my edges lately instead of the gel.

***I have tried and liked Eden BodyWorks Coconut cowash as well as Curl Junkie cleansing conditioner. I'm not big on cowashing though. I now alternate between just using shampoo OR just appling my deep conditioner on dry hair for 20 to 30 minutes, rinsing it out and styling.

***I have no recommendations for this area. Like I said upthread, I prefer Camille Rose Aloe Whip but the gel I use on my edges only is the Eco Styler Argan oil...I wouldn't dare put it throughout my hair though. I don't have time for no brick hard hair. :lachen:Nor do I have time to be scrunching out some crunch with a butt load of oil only to end up with greasy semi hard hair. My hubby's hands be in my hair too much for all of that. (When we are watching a movie or just doing nothing...I'll ask him for a scalp massage) LOL
I like my hair to be soft and flowy, moisturized yet hands are product free once they have touched it.

Last edited:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Preface: Just my opinions...you know your hair better than me. Maybe this will help, maybe it won't

Problem 1: Doesn't sound like a product issue...moreso technique...keep in mind shrinkage is good...it's a sign of hair health. What about stretching your wash and go's to elongate them? I've seen people use the concentration nozzle on their blow dryer (stretching the roots), ponytails, buns, a pineapple, banding. Search for a technique, not a product.

Problem 2: I think crown issues are pretty common...most of us have issues with that area being dry due to it having the most exposure to the sun. Try adding extra product to that area. If it's well moisturized, you may have better luck with definition.

Problem 3: I feel you on this. I hate gel in my hair. I hate the way it feels and that fake plastic look it gives. I use it every now and again on my edges...I prefer Camille Rose Aloe Whip butter gel. It's a very moisturizing cream with a slight hold. I have been using that for my edges lately instead of the gel.

***I have tried and liked Eden BodyWorks Coconut cowash as well as Curl Junkie cleansing conditioner. I'm not big on cowashing though. I now alternate between just using shampoo OR just appling my deep conditioner on dry hair for 20 to 30 minutes, rinsing it out and styling.

***I have no recommendations for this area. Like I said upthread, I prefer Camille Rose Aloe Whip but the gel I use on my edges only is the Eco Styler Argan oil...I wouldn't dare put it throughout my hair though. I don't have time for no brick hard hair. :lachen:Nor do I have time to be scrunching out some crunch with a butt load of oil only to end up with greasy semi hard hair. My hubby's hands be in my hair too much for all of that. (When we are watching a movie or just doing nothing...I'll ask him for a scalp massage) LOL
I like my hair to be soft and flowy, moisturized yet hands are product free once they have touched it.

@lulu97, thank you so much for your post. It's super helpful!

Problem 1: Stretching! Yes! I definitely plan to try banding and drying in pony tails soon. I've used a diffuser to stretch, and that helps some, depending on what product is in my hair. I have a consultation tomorrow at Huetiful, and one of the questions I'm going to ask my star stylist is how to make my wash-and-go look cute even when shrunken. If I can look cute with a wash-and-bobby-pin-and-gel-the-the-edges-and-go . . . I'll just deal with the shortened length. Cute is cute. :smile: On the other hand, not cute is NOT CUTE. :look: ;)

So, yes, you are right: I can reduce that to a technique/styling issue, and that'll help a lot!

Problem 2: :yep: Makes sense! Helpful.

Problem 3: Mmm! That CR Aloe Whip has been on my mid-priority list! Thanks! Definitely worth a try before opting to get a relaxer.

Need: :yep: I realize that I'd been cowashing with the SM Hipo Masque without even realizing. Just every time I got into the shower I'd end up reaching for it to detangle and elongate and soften and so forth. Thank you for the two mentions you shared. Etsy's NaturelleGrow's DC did my hair SO AMAZINGLY WELL that I'm going to try her detangling cowash. If it's not a good cowash, I can't imagine it not being an excellent detangler. We'll see! I'll add your two mentions to my after-the-no-buy list! :grin:

Need: Ahhh, it's sweet about your hubby loving to have his hands in your hair. Going without gel but somehow also avoiding the gradual poofball my hair slowly becomes as the day progresses would be an epic win! I wonder if once I gain a little length, this might become less of a problem.

P.S. I'm going to try that coconut flour in a mug recipe at your blog! (Your profile pic sent me to your blog to see if I could learn about your regimen and products, and I was surprised to find those great recipes and book hauls!)

Take care, lady! And thanks ever so much, again. Very helpful AND extremely encouraging.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
@lulu97, thank you so much for your post. It's super helpful!

Problem 1: Stretching! Yes! I definitely plan to try banding and drying in pony tails soon. I've used a diffuser to stretch, and that helps some, depending on what product is in my hair. I have a consultation tomorrow at Huetiful, and one of the questions I'm going to ask my star stylist is how to make my wash-and-go look cute even when shrunken. If I can look cute with a wash-and-bobby-pin-and-gel-the-the-edges-and-go . . . I'll just deal with the shortened length. Cute is cute. :smile: On the other hand, not cute is NOT CUTE. :look: ;)

So, yes, you are right: I can reduce that to a technique/styling issue, and that'll help a lot!

Problem 2: :yep: Makes sense! Helpful.

Problem 3: Mmm! That CR Aloe Whip has been on my mid-priority list! Thanks! Definitely worth a try before opting to get a relaxer.

Need: :yep: I realize that I'd been cowashing with the SM Hipo Masque without even realizing. Just every time I got into the shower I'd end up reaching for it to detangle and elongate and soften and so forth. Thank you for the two mentions you shared. Etsy's NaturelleGrow's DC did my hair SO AMAZINGLY WELL that I'm going to try her detangling cowash. If it's not a good cowash, I can't imagine it not being an excellent detangler. We'll see! I'll add your two mentions to my after-the-no-buy list! :grin:

Need: Ahhh, it's sweet about your hubby loving to have his hands in your hair. Going without gel but somehow also avoiding the gradual poofball my hair slowly becomes as the day progresses would be an epic win! I wonder if once I gain a little length, this might become less of a problem.

P.S. I'm going to try that coconut flour in a mug recipe at your blog! (Your profile pic sent me to your blog to see if I could learn about your regimen and products, and I was surprised to find those great recipes and book hauls!)

Take care, lady! And thanks ever so much, again. Very helpful AND extremely encouraging.

So glad I could offer some help.

Ahhhh yes...you have discovered the two things on my tumblr that bring me the most pleasure. Reading and eating! LOL

I'd be happy to share my regimen/products with you. I'll put everything together and PM you later. (It's not a secret..I share it throughout the forum...just don't want to deter the thread) The forum changed a while ago and the forum blogs/albums are no longer available. It used to be posted in those. Anyway... we will chat by PM! Ttyl

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse

I actually haven't bought anything this month, although I need a new wig/protective style.

I did spend a pretty penny at the casino last night. It's ok. I'm back to saving and snowballing next month. I will start a new thread in a week or so.

Last edited:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I actually haven't bought anything this month, although I need a new wig/protective style.

I did spend a pretty penny at the casino last night. It's ok. I'm back to saving and snowballing next month. I will start a new thread in a week or so.

Thanks.

How should we post during the no-buy? Are we "allowed" to discuss what we're doing with our hair, how we're faring, etc.? Do we post to confirm that we aren't buying?

TIA!

Aggie

Thanks.

How should we post during the no-buy? Are we "allowed" to discuss what we're doing with our hair, how we're faring, etc.? Do we post to confirm that we aren't buying?

TIA!
I just pop in to mention that I have or haven't purchased anything, so what no-purchase challenges I'm having and my successes of sales I saw but didn't bite, etc... You can post stuff like this here.

Some of us have other vices that we are dealing with like nail polish or skin care products, etc that we tend to focus our attentions on and we'd sometimes post those.

Then again, there are some of us that post how much money we are saving as a result of the no-buy challenge, that is buying nothing else to replace the purchase of hair products of course.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Afternoon, ladies!

Today I had my consultation at Huetiful. $15 plus tip.

To prep, I clarified and clay washed (to condition and add moisture back in). I let my hair air dry. I wanted the consultant to be analyzing hair with no product in it. It didn't look to bad! :laugh: It was definitely a little frizzy at the roots, but it was defined and coily all over (with the exception of that tricky crown area).

The Huetiful consultant doesn't think my hair will ever really do well with gel. She advises . . . surprise, surprise . . . a Huetiful oily foam. I can kind of see where she's coming from by suggesting an oily foam. But, I've had SO MANY stylists in the past to tell me: "If you just use OUR products . . . and OH! We just HAPPEN to have some right here you can buy today . . ." She didn't say that or anything, but I'm just such a skeptic about so much, now. :smile:

She recommends that I steam to boost moisture and train my hair to have a little more definition at the roots. There was a Huetiful steamer there for $115. I told her about the reviews and how the height of the steamer was quite annoying -- how some say putting the steamer on an ironing board is annoyingly the best option they found. She wouldn't tell me not to buy the table top steamer, but she told me to pay attention to reviews. She says she has one at home but uses the standing version in the shop.

I feel like for $115, I can get a standing steamer that works with a reg'la ol' chair.

I really liked her. She was reallly nice. However, for the consultation, she really didn't tell me much! She said that once she wets my hair she can tell me more. :confused: :rolleyes: Well, there's the sink! Let's go! :smile: She couldn't tell me my porosity level. I was expecting to be able to find that out for sure. Of course, once I purchase a service that involves wetting the hair, she can tell me more. :look:

CodeRed

I really liked her. She was reallly nice. However, for the consultation, she really didn't tell me much! She said that once she wets my hair she can tell me more. :confused: :rolleyes: Well, there's the sink! Let's go! :smile: She couldn't tell me my porosity level. I was expecting to be able to find that out for sure. Of course, once I purchase a service that involves wetting the hair, she can tell me more. :look:

Dang. All she needs now is a crystal ball and a sparkly head wrap.