August 2016: Hits & Misses

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Hit: Aussie Moist Conditioner

I don't know what came over me but after watching JeweJeweBees 100 pumps video, I decided to try Aussie Moist. Though I fretted for awhile about the single silicone it has, I reminded myself that silicones aren't the Devil and if I didn't like it I could shampoo it out. I shampooed, applied the Aussie Moist liberally to detangle, rinsed leaving a bit in, then applied WetlineXtreme in large sections, raking through. A fast and easy process because I didn't have the time or desire to shingle.

Ya'll I was instantly suspicious because even though I didn't shingle, my hair was elongated, frizz free, with no white spots. I say "suspicious" because it seemed too good to be true. My experience says that only silicone free products and practiced technique can give me results like that. But who knows what it would look and feel like dry. Well, after airdrying for a few hours (much faster than it usually takes) my hair was still elongated and frizz free, but it also had shine and softness. :eek: *MINDBLOWN*

View attachment 369789 My hair about 80%dry. It was even better the next day when I had some volume.

If it had been any other silicone free conditioner, I would have just gone about my day, posted about it here, and added it to my HG list. But it has a SILICONE! I feel like my entire hair care world has shifted. Extra, I know, but I'm serious. So serious that it took me 3 days (hair is still fabulous by the way) to admit here, on LHCF, that I tried it and loved it.

So now that I've outed myself, I'm going to build a bridge and get over it; proclaiming my love for Aussie Moist proudly.

I see @IDareT'sHair also does R/O's too. Im wondering if that might help with my dryness. This is my first summer as a natural. The other months, Ive had no issues with dryness, but even with relaxed and texlaxed hair, I have always had an issue with dryness in the summer solely because of the sun. Im wondering if this will help for just the summer months.

NaturallyATLPCH

For me, the APB Refresher Sprays are light but very moisturizing and my hair loves the oils in it (meadowfoam seed & kukui nut). I can use it daily without weighing my hair down or worrying about build up.

What she^^^^^^ said @YvetteWithJoy . Plus my hair loves glycerin. I get mine with glycerin. They are light yet moisturizing and do not cause any build up.

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
I see @IDareT'sHair also does R/O's too. Im wondering if that might help with my dryness. This is my first summer as a natural. The other months, Ive had no issues with dryness, but even with relaxed and texlaxed hair, I have always had an issue with dryness in the summer solely because of the sun. Im wondering if this will help for just the summer months.

It worked great as a R/O and just using a little bit as a leave in but, I don't think it is actually absorbing into my hair enough for real moisture. My hair is very low po and I have to heat DC 2-4x a month to keep my hair truly moisturized. I'd suggest DCing more often rather than using a R/O.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
It worked great as a R/O and just using a little bit as a leave in but, I don't think it is actually absorbing into my hair enough for real moisture. My hair is very low po and I have to heat DC 2-4x a month to keep my hair truly moisturized. I'd suggest DCing more often rather than using a R/O.

I've observed @IDareT'sHair wash days and she dc's then r/o. So I'm wondering if that might help. Meaning, retaining the moisture

Nightingale

What else do you love? and I saw that 100 pumps video and was thinking about trying it one early Saturday morning~

I'm not a PJ so I don't have a plethora of products I love but that short list includes:

1. Rhassoul Clay washing. Works great between shampoos, gives definition and my hair feels clean.
2. GVP Conditioning Balm. Perfect as is for a moisture DC and detangler, I can add Neutral protein filler for protein. silicone free)
3. Wetline Xtreme Gel (no protein, low glycerin)
4. AHA liquid in Silk Elements PreCleanse Scalp Rx has been a Godsend for my scalp issues and makes shampooing less a possibility.
5. Aussie Moist. Great RO and better leave in than GVP Balm.

That's it and its pretty much everything I'm using in my regimen right now. I'd like to add a moisturizer to the list which is why I'll be testing out your Curling Souffle rec at some point.

Nightingale

I've observed @IDareT'sHair wash days and she dc's then r/o. So I'm wondering if that might help. Meaning, retaining the moisture

That could work. Unlike my silicone free DC, Aussie leaves a little residue behind which I think gave me the softness I liked but, it could also help to seal in moisture too. One thing that CG taught me is that its better to cleanse and DC without silicones so the moisture gets into the hair. After that using silicones, butters, oils, etc to seal will work better. Id been experimenting with heavy sealing oils lately and they didn't work for me. That's part of the reason why I went ahead and tried Aussie. I really like the little bit of heaviness and slickness my hair had after using it.

Last edited:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I would not recommend this as a moisturizer or styler. It works well has a heavy butter sealer.

Thanks, @Saludable84!

LOL! Oh, no! That's the only reason I even MADE a Bekura order, because the Lazy Natural (love her hair!) recommended it as very moisturizing. She wrote here at this link:

The Good:
  • Great hold! It is called a buttercream, but know that it has a 'whipped’ consistency. I’d compare it to Oyin Handmade’s Whipped Pudding. Same consistency and quality ingredients. I was expecting a creamier product because of the 'cream’ part, I guess, lol. It has really awesome hold. I didn’t even need to use my gel to get defined curls, and that is saying something coming from a natural that always has frizz.
  • Moisturizes Like a Pro This product is super moisturizing for this type of cream. I personally have to use a leave-in and a lighter curl cream underneath (I use Curls Creme Brule) for more 'whippy’ creams, but it sealed everything in great.
  • Seals like a champ You won’t need a sealant with this product, It’s moisturizing and heavy enough to seal it in.

Anaisin

Miss: Karen Body Beautiful- Sweet Ambrosia Leave In Conditioner
While it has a nice scent, I don't like how liquidy it is. It's really easy to over spill with the bottle. It also doesn't do anything to moisturize my hair. I feel like after a few hours I'll be back to dry hair. Not a repurchase for me.

Same. Did nothing for my hair. It's like water. Actually I won't even give it that because my hair loves water. I remember buying this over Darcy's pumpkin conditioner & now I regret it because there are few raves about KBB while people are still loving Darcy's.

Last edited:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Tentavie Super Duper Rockin' Hit

Marc Anthony's Strictly Curls -- the Stretch and the Lotion products

Details:
So far, UBER-DEFINITION, light springiness and separation, and shine. It's not drying my hair like many other stylers, but I do want more moisture than these products provide alone. So next time I will layer a leave-in beneath it. (I didn't want to do so this time so that I could just see what these products themselves do for my hair.)

I "heard" about the products from Curly Nikki here, this blogger's review, and this YouTube demo. The ONLY drawback: I do not prefer the ingredients or the GoodGuide ratings of these products.

I do still need to one day purchase and trial a few samples of the Komaza puddings and cremes as well as the Shea Moisture hibiscus line custard because of the reviews and the superior ingredients. However, with these two Marc Anthony products (and now I'm curious about the conditioner and the stronger curling products or serum), my wash-and-go- styler search just might . . . be . . . over. Phew! We shall see! :smile:

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Becoming a Hit:
My last wash day. I made 10 dookie twist after placing deep conditioner in my hair. Then I rinsed my hair with all the twist in and then rinsed them one by one if there was too much conditioner left over. Applied my APB Cherry and Kukui Lotion, SM Curling Soufflé, put hair back in same twist and sealed with castor oil.

I usually hate castor oil and it made my hair hard after it dried (also a humectant and I should have gone with my instincts and used safflower oil) but whatever. Two days later and the castor oil is easing up and I can feel the softness. I think my hair will last til Friday.

Definitely liking the less washing.

toaster

I hope it's okay to drop this question in this thread:

So far, my QB Amla something or other is a hit. I used it after yesterday's cowash, did two Bantu knots. Smoothed my hair into a bun (used the twist butter to smooth, loving that too) and went to work. After my workout I took my bun down and my hair was dry (as in not wet) but felt very soft and moisturized. Yeah!

The dilemma: I had to use a lot of product yesterday and today. I don't think the 8 ounce jar will last more than 2 weeks. Maybe 2.5. I know I have very dense and long hair, but that seems ridiculous?

I've been applying on towel dried hair so tomorrow I'll try on hair right out of the shower.

Any other suggestions?

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
I hope it's okay to drop this question in this thread:

So far, my QB Amla something or other is a hit. I used it after yesterday's cowash, did two Bantu knots. Smoothed my hair into a bun (used the twist butter to smooth, loving that too) and went to work. After my workout I took my bun down and my hair was dry (as in not wet) but felt very soft and moisturized. Yeah!

The dilemma: I had to use a lot of product yesterday and today. I don't think the 8 ounce jar will last more than 2 weeks. Maybe 2.5. I know I have very dense and long hair, but that seems ridiculous?

I've been applying on towel dried hair so tomorrow I'll try on hair right out of the shower.

Any other suggestions?

Whoa. Really? Its so rich for me I have to cut it with another QB product. I can never use it alone unless I'm sealing with it. One jar last around 8 months or so.

toaster

Whoa. Really? Its so rich for me I have to cut it with another QB product. I can never use it alone unless I'm sealing with it. One jar last around 8 months or so.
Unfortunately yes. Often a hairdresser will tell me I have four heads of hair on my hair, and it's probably true density wise. And it's past hip length. I tried using a small amount but my hair was like :lachen: Now when I used a good amount, my hair was :2inlove:

I can't spend $40+ on my hair every month. Does she have sales often? I know I can get 20% off at Sephora in November and 15% off in April. I suppose I could stock up.

Any idea what the shelf life is on her products?

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Unfortunately yes. Often a hairdresser will tell me I have four heads of hair on my hair, and it's probably true density wise. And it's past hip length. I tried using a small amount but my hair was like :lachen: Now when I used a good amount, my hair was :2inlove:

I can't spend $40+ on my hair every month. Does she have sales often? I know I can get 20% off at Sephora in November and 15% off in April. I suppose I could stock up.

Any idea what the shelf life is on her products?

Years. Ive had product for 3 or 4 years and had it work. I used to stockpile QB. It just might not smell as good as day one,but it will still perform.

Last edited:

Beamodel

I've been trying to see which moisturizer I like better out of:

SSI Green Tea Coconut Milk or
Bekura Honey Latte

They are very close and provide excellent moisture but my hair likes the SSI Green Tea Coconut Milk a tad bit more. My hair is ultra picky and with this milk, it remains so soft and moisturized.

Definitely a winner...

Napturallypretty1908

Same. Did nothing for my hair. It's like water. Actually I won't even give it that because my hair loves water. I remember buying this over Darcy's pumpkin conditioner & now I regret it because there are few raves about KBB while people are still loving Darcy's.

So true! It was a impulse buy at target. Won't make that mistake again.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Years. Ive had product for 3 or 4 years and had it work. I used to stockpile QB. It just might not smell as good as day one,but it will still perform.
@shawnyblazes
This is true, true, true!:up:

I use to get it all the time on Swaps (but I was Relaxed at the time and never really appreciated the true nature of the performance of this Line).

I wish I knew then what I know now.:ohwell: Especially now that I have to pay for it myself.:cry3:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Otherworldly, make-you-go-slap-KCKT-in-the-mouth HIT :boxing::

NaturelleGrow's Protein Free Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Cinnamon Deep Cond for hair growth

I just used it for the first time this morning, and right now I (almost ;)) have no words. I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone or an alternate universe or something--this deep conditioner's SLIP is OTHERWORLDLY and UNREAL.:abducted:

This deep conditioner unknots tangles and knots that before I would have had to snip out after much -- ultimately fruitless -- effort to resolve the knot. This morning I had about 4 knots that I was SURE were "goners" (i.e. were so tiny and tight that they were going to have to be snipped). Somehow . . . SOMEHOW . . . using this product and my finger detangling methods, those knots were resolved! I honestly don't see how.
Ah-mazing! :clapping: