August 2016: Hits & Misses

pri

instant hits - curls blueberry bliss leave in, ssi avocado conditioner, mielle organics babassu dc

miss - true made by beautiful leave in and masque, bobeam stimulate condish and cocoa mango cream condish, alikay naturals avocado cream, curls blueberry bliss masque, blue roze beauty strawberrry hibiscus leave in, blue roze beauty strawberrry hibiscus dc

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
New Hit

1. Soultanicals Knot Proof and Sun Drench Leave in for detangling. Boy boy boy, the BIDNESS, ultra slippery and softening upon contact. I will have to rinse this out. Cant leave any of it in.
  2. ACV Clarifying Poo bar, I was able to detangle with the lather, hair felt soft but still cleansed at same time, big enough bar to cut in half

Sort of a Hit
  1. Soultanicals Fro ShadeUV Defense Mask, Hair felt really strong upon washing, creamy and disappeared on contact.

Continued hit

1. APB Ginger Root Hair lotion, after my hair dried hair, this softened it up, subtle sheen and had my hair feeling awesome.
Miss

1. After hair drying with the Knot Proof and Sun Drench leave in , my hair was hard as can be. Just as dry feeling as can be. Not overly dry but the normal coconut and aloe dry.

Last edited:

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Hit:
Canadian weather. Well, not the sweater and rain part, but the weather that works with my hair and doesn't make it feel like an epic fail.

My last cowash combo. Used SM Curling Soufflé and topped with KeraVada Rosemary Hibiscus Oil. So nice. Definitely going to miss this oil when it's done.

Miss:
The oppressive heat in the northeast. Even traveling back through VT, MA and CT, it's like, I crossed the border and my hair was all jacked up.

I've deduced that oils don't work in the summer because the air conditioning hardens the oil and the sun is so hot it doesn't melt the oil but instead heats it on my hair. That the only solution I could come up with.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
HIT
Using Oyin Hair Dew under UFD gel for soft defined curls that go on into the 2nd day!!!

That sounds like a good combo! And second-day hair! Woot!

Hit:
Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Gel's scent and light hold

Miss:
Using Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Gel without sufficient curl definition PRIOR :look: I didn't know it wouldn't help define. It was my first use. :smile:

Aggie

HIT:

HQS Greaseless MOisture is indeed a hit because I did not need a lot of it plus it made my curls wonderfully defined.

HQS Coconut Lime Oil :lick: smells delish plus it was a great sealant/accompaniment to the Greaseless Moisture. They work very well together.

MISS:

HQS Puttiful Anti Gel - My hair didn't like it but my nieces loved it so I gave what I had to them. This had no slip and felt weird plus left my hair looking a little dull :nono: not for me.

Last edited:

Anaisin

HIT:

HQS Greaseless MOisture is indeed a hit because I did not need a lot of it plus it made my curls wonderfully defined.

HQS Coconut Lime Oil :lick: smells deklish plus it was a great sealant/accompaniment to the Greaseless Moisture. They work very well together.

MISS:

HQS Puttiful Anti Gel - My hair didn't like it but my nieces loved it so I gave what I had to them. This had no slip and felt weird plus left my hair looking a little dull :nono: not for me.

Yesss I love that combo!

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Me too. It is truly something I could live with if I never find another combo that works so well together provided the formulas never change.

Oh crap, I just remember this is HQS we're talking about. Smt!

:hand:

:nono2:

:lala:

:ignore:

Uhn uhnnnn! I am NOT listening to all of y'all all over this site praising these various HQS combos. :look:

Tentative though very likely hit:
The moisturizing effects of Shea Moisture's lowpo leave-in and detangler. (I haven't tried to detangle with it, yet.)

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
Continued hit: Aussie Moist as a leave in and detangler underneath Wetline Xtreme Gel. My wash and gos have been consistently defined, shiny, and elongated.

New Hit: banded pineappling. Regular banding left my hair elongated but too flat. A regular pineapple gave me the volume I want but no stretch. So I tried a pineapple and banded the ponytail from mid length to near the ends (which wasn't that long. It required one band, lol). When I take down, I have volume, some stretch, and my curls aren't as distorted as they usually get after regular banding.

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
Hit: Jakeala's Beau Vert Mask :2inlove:
I'll be buying a ton of this. Scalp and hair on point. My curls were poppin' upon rinse out. Smells eucalypt-y/mint-y for anyone that's curious about the smell. However, it's not overpowering. It doesn't smell like feet and paraphernalia, as a previous poster stated. I was scared to use/try it based on that smell review. My nose is sensitive and particular, :look: When I'm not being lazy, I'll look up who said that, so I can e-fight them :catfight:

I was going to post it as a hit last wash day, but I was out of it, and felt I needed to use it again while not tired and exhausted. This mask is ThaBomb.com!

Miss: Bask/Bekura Apple & Sorghum Syrup. I have a Ph.D in Pre-Poo-ology. This isn't a good pre-poo! At least, not for my hair, :nono: It only has one penetrating oil and it's down the list. That's probably why.
Smells lighter than a green apple Jolly Rancher, but on that vein. Too tacky to use as a sealant. I don't know what I'm going to do with the rest of this.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I'll be buying a ton of this. Scalp and hair on point. My curls were poppin' upon rinse out. Smells eucalypt-y/mint-y for anyone that's curious about the smell. However, it's not overpowering. It doesn't smell like feet and paraphernalia, as a previous poster stated. I was scared to use/try it based on that smell review. My nose is sensitive and particular, :look: When I'm not being lazy, I'll look up who said that, so I can e-fight them :catfight:

I was going to post it as a hit last wash day, but I was out of it, and felt I needed to use it again while not tired and exhausted. This mask is ThaBomb.com!

Miss: Bask/Bekura Apple & Sorghum Syrup. I have a Ph.D in Pre-Poo-ology. This isn't a good pre-poo! At least, not for my hair, :nono: It only has one penetrating oil and it's down the list. That's probably why.
Smells lighter than a green apple Jolly Rancher, but on that vein. Too tacky to use as a sealant. I don't know what I'm going to do with the rest of this.

This post made me laugh out loud. I love it!

Thanks for sharing about the mask! My mock Jakeala cart thanks you.

Feet and paraphernalia!!! :eek:

Ph.D.!!! :laugh:

Soooooo glad someone else said it!: I don't know WHAT I'm going to do with this datgum Bekura hair syrup. I keep trying to seal with it. I don't like the smell. At first I was trying to make myself like its richness. Now I'm like :nono:.

InBloom

In my new-growth
Miss

Silicon Mix. No matter how many revolutions of buying, using, getting mad, hiatus, then trying again I go through...this stuff does not agree with my hair! I love the scent. I love the sleek/shiny/bouncy results, but my hair breaks like no one's business after I use it. I've mixed it with oils, tried it as a prepoo, DC, and as a quickie rinse-out. I give up. Finally.

Aggie

Send it to me if you don't want the apple and sorghum. I like that one a lot, especially the smell. Must be our climate down here in the Bahamas:lol:

If its old then I don't think I'd want it though :lol: I noticed that the smell and performance of most products change once expired, so no, I think I change my mind.

Last edited:

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Miss
Soultanicals Summer Fun Protective Serum- Seal, Tuck & Heal
, the smell is awful because of the bolded. Great ingredients but the SMELL is driving me nuts.

INGREDIENTS: Castor Oil, Aloe Vera gel, Sunflower Seed Oil, Palm Oil, Black Seed Oil, Essential Oil Blend of Tea Tree, Geranium, Lemongrass

Last edited: