Fall/Winter Wash n go challenge

Have you thought of incorporating gel? That may help with the longevity of your wash n go.

:yep: Good point, and thank you. I've never been a gel person, but I've got to remember that I've never (since a child) had natural hair before, either. :laugh:

My hair now feels a little dry, as if the Bel Nouvo Castor pudding has worn off in the last couple of hours. I have reapplied, but I'm giving myself permission to purchase two products later today as a reward if I get all done what I need to today: KCCC and Argan Eco styler gel. THAT'S gonna make for an interesting experiment! :D

Joigirl

Oh, I love it. What was your process? What products do you use?

That's my goal wash and go a few years from now. :)

Thank you! I follow a modified Curly Girl method. I cowash (Tresemme Naturals) once or twice a week and shampoo monthly or as needed. I also faithfully deep condition weekly for at least 30 minutes. I used Darcy's Botanicals leave in and Hello Curly gel. Hello Curly is defunct, but Uncle Funky's Daughter makes the same gel. It's expensive, but effective. How long have you been natural?

Thank you! I follow a modified Curly Girl method. I cowash (Tresemme Naturals) once or twice a week and shampoo monthly or as needed. I also faithfully deep condition weekly for at least 30 minutes. I used Darcy's Botanicals leave in and Hello Curly gel. Hello Curly is defunct, but Uncle Funky's Daughter makes the same gel. It's expensive, but effective. How long have you been natural?

Hi, @Joigirl.

Thanks for the speedy reply, and thanks for asking.

I had my last relaxer in September of 2013 and did the big chop around September of 2014. Then I wore crochet braids for a while as my hair grew out from a TWA to the current, so-called "awkward-stage" length. I had NO IDEA what I was doing in September 2013 and didn't necessarily WANT to transition, but I was just so perplexed at and outdone by the new damage relaxers were doing to my hair in Atlanta versus Dallas.

With relaxers, I (involuntarily) went from this

to this

in a few years. :( I went to all kinds of stylists who claimed to be able to stop the damage and still ended up with that much loss in length, thickness, health, etc.

So I finally just stopped getting relaxers. I have never been a "hair-doing" person, so when I (basically inadvertently) transitioned, I googled "how to deal with natural hair." The advice to use coconut oil kept coming up, so I went to Trader Joe's, purchased some coconut oil, and my sweet mom oiled my scalp with it while my hair was in two textures for about a year. :laugh: I told her, "They said to do this!" :laugh:

I did the big chop and this was the result:

Joigirl

Hi, @Joigirl.

Thanks for the speedy reply, and thanks for asking.

I had my last relaxer in September of 2013 and did the big chop around September of 2014. Then I wore crochet braids for a while as my hair grew out from a TWA to the current, so-called "awkward-stage" length. I had NO IDEA what I was doing in September 2013 and didn't necessarily WANT to transition, but I was just so perplexed at and outdone by the new damage relaxers were doing to my hair in Atlanta versus Dallas.

With relaxers, I (involuntarily) went from this

to this

in a few years. :( I went to all kinds of stylists who claimed to be able to stop the damage and still ended up with that much loss in length, thickness, health, etc.

So I finally just stopped getting relaxers. I have never been a "hair-doing" person, so when I (basically inadvertently) transitioned, I googled "how to deal with natural hair." The advice to use coconut oil kept coming up, so I went to Trader Joe's, purchased some coconut oil, and my sweet mom oiled my scalp with it while my hair was in two textures for about a year. :laugh: I told her, "They said to do this!" :laugh:

I did the big chop and this was the result:
Congrats! It's definitely a journey, but I love it.

Friday morning = Third-day hair.

Left = how I woke up after sleeping on a satin pillowcase.
Right = how my hair looked after a spritz with water+AVJ followed by an application of Giovanni Light Leave-in. My hair REALLY stretches out once it gets dry and holding product loses its effect.

And no matter HOW much I cut out the straight parts, they always reappear! I'm starting to wonder if it's truly heat damage or just how my hair does after being lain on.

Joigirl

Right = how my hair looked after a spritz with water+AVJ followed by an application of Giovanni Light Leave-in. My hair REALLY stretches out once it gets dry and holding product loses its effect.

And no matter HOW much I cut out the straight parts, they always reappear! I'm starting to wonder if it's truly heat damage or just how my hair does after being lain on.

They curl with product, so I don't think so. It may just be less defined curls.

Guinan

Re-Branding

I 2nd that. I wouldn't cut anymore, unless it's scabbed hair.

@mysblossom I wouldn't cut them anymore. I still had straight pieces after my chop, but the more hydrated my hair got the less I saw. I don't think I have any staight pieces now. Did you pick up the kinky curly and Eco yesterday?

No, I didn't pick them up yet. My anemia + special time of month + working on a paper all day = wiped out! I knew I wasn't going to wash my hair yesterday.

But OMG thanks for asking! I just realized: Tomorrow is Saturday and that means the nephews (now in my care) are with me tomorrow! I'm still getting used to this! Must do hair today!

Target is right down the street. I'll skip trying out the Aphogee 2-step today, but I must try SOMETHING new. It'll be the KCCC.

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
No, I didn't pick them up yet. My anemia + special time of month + working on a paper all day = wiped out! I knew I wasn't going to wash my hair yesterday.

But OMG thanks for asking! I just realized: Tomorrow is Saturday and that means the nephews (now in my care) are with me tomorrow! I'm still getting used to this! Must do hair today!

Target is right down the street. I'll skip trying out the Aphogee 2-step today, but I must try SOMETHING new. It'll be the KCCC.
Make sure you have a water in a spray bottle handy and work in sections. Here is a mahogany curls video where she uses KCCC. She has some really great points
  1. Hair needs to be clean and naked (you may want to clarify. Suave has a nice cheap clarifying conditioner)
  2. Work in sections
  3. Work on wet hair
  4. A little goes a long way (make sure hair is wet use spray bottle if hair gets dry) it spreads fairly easy on wet hair
  5. You should pair it with kckt

Make sure you have a water in a spray bottle handy and work in sections. Here is a mahogany curls video where she uses KCCC. She has some really great points
  1. Hair needs to be clean and naked (you may want to clarify. Suave has a nice cheap clarifying conditioner)
  2. Work in sections
  3. Work on wet hair
  4. A little goes a long way (make sure hair is wet use spray bottle if hair gets dry) it spreads fairly easy on wet hair
  5. You should pair it with kckt

Awwww, @stephanie75miller !!! :thankyou:

Welp ;) , I purchased the KCCC and will use it with the bit of KCKT that I have left.

I'm a little tired tonight so I'll have to wait until tomorrow night (maybe even Sunday morning) to try the the two. But I have been looking forward ALL DAY to wetting my hair. So I'm going to wash (Shea Moisture Professional "Clean Start) and deep condition for an hour or so (Shea Moisture JBCO mask) while creating a "movie theater" experience with my little six-year-old nephew. Poor baby. He misses him mom so much. I hope he has a fun night tonight. :)

To the shower I go (finally!)

G'night, all!

LavenderMint

I picked up some Alikay Naturals Creme Brulee Curling Delight. It's only a dollar cheaper than KCCC but I'd feel better with an alternative. I would like to try a new leave-in as well.
I want to try new products but I'm apprehensive because this is the longest my hair has behaved itself..... ever.

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
Y'all what is wrong with me! I still haven't tried the curl maker gel and I just picked up some Curls Blueberry Bliss curl control jelly *hangs head in shame* I'll come back with a review later :sekret: