Fall/Winter Wash n go challenge

SheenaVee

Love it, what products do you use?

Thank you!

I used Ecostyler olive oil gel. I've been using the Argan oil one for a while and I felt like my wash and gos weren't lasting as long as they used to. So I decided to go back to the olive oil one because I remember my wash and gos would last a good while when I used it.

I was right because the olive oil one has given me 5 day hair. I can even go longer if I want to, whereas with the Argan oil I could only get around 3 days before I'd have to wash and restyle.

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
Does anyone know how to prevent flaking once dry? Every gel I use I get flakes once my hair is dry (ecostyler, KCCC, curly magic, wetline) I've tried everything from not using a leave-in, using oil, mixing the leave in and gel in my hand first to see if they work together, etc, etc. I need help!

KCCC sometimes flakes if you use too much. A little goes a very very long way. Some women even dilute it with water. Ive never had flakes with Curly Magic. What are you pairing it with?

discodumpling

Well my hair is finally at the stage where I don't need to wash everyday. I've been washing every 3-4 days and dealing with the massive shrinkage in between. For this season i've added back my layer of Curl Max in between my leavin (sally's ION until the bottle is done!) & gel (ECO Argan) I'm not even sleeping with a scarf! I sleep on a satin pillow case, wake up and refresh my curls with less than a quarter size of Curl Max. I'm really feeling myself with this method...curls stay on fleek (my 11 yr old would die if he heard me use that word) Soft, sheeny (not shiny!), defined curls for days!
Having said all that...i'll be burining the ish otta my hair this Friday to hit the club :) and be back to my curls by 9 AM on Saturday!

gimbap

I've been washing my hair more often and doing more wash and gos. I like how less tangled my hair is when I wash it more often. Since it's colder now, I wash at night, sit under a hooded dryer, then stretch it out with a blow dryer in the AM.

Lately I've been following this method. It's super easy and quick

Joigirl

image.jpeg image.jpeg Straightened my hair last weekend and was back to my WNG by Tuesday. I decided to shape up my hair now that I've reached my hair goal. I thought I'd cut more, but it looks better after just cutting the top layer. I am very happy with the results in the front, but the back is still a work in progress.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
cooking for the week right now but have my products lined up to do my hair today.

I'll be doing a clay wash, protein treatment, then deep conditioner followed by styling with the sweet soul sista leave in and gel

GGsKin

Does anyone know how to prevent flaking once dry? Every gel I use I get flakes once my hair is dry (ecostyler, KCCC, curly magic, wetline) I've tried everything from not using a leave-in, using oil, mixing the leave in and gel in my hand first to see if they work together, etc, etc. I need help!

I've used KCCC (my baby) and the As I Am and I find that using them fairly diluted helps me avoid flakes with these products. As @stephanie75miller and @uofmpanther suggest, I also work with wet hair when applying. When I wash and go, I don't use a leave in.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
View attachment 341281 View attachment 341279 Straightened my hair last weekend and was back to my WNG by Tuesday. I decided to shape up my hair now that I've reached my hair goal. I thought I'd cut more, but it looks better after just cutting the top layer. I am very happy with the results in the front, but the back is still a work in progress.
Beautiful. My next project is a trim as well. I'm not ready to switch to straight hair just yet but my ends are riddled with ssk's and getting tangly. I can't wait to get them off.

OhTall1

Good news: Today my curls looks really nice. I just started using Kimmaytube's leave in earlier this week, and I'm liking it so far. Other products included V05 kiwi lime clarifying conditioner for cowash, olive oil, Curls Unleashed curl defining creme, and Renpure coconut creme curling jelly.

Bad news: While my curls look great, my style looks crazy. This morning, the curls on one side of my head are more elongated than the other, so my hairstyle looks lopsided! I think I'm going to walk around the office all day today with my head slightly tilted to the side to make it look even. :giggle:

MzRhonda

I just can not get my wash n go's to "curl" so I will practice over Thanksgiving and Christmas break. I don't know if I should be brushing the curls in or using my fingers to coil it or what (I don't have time in the morning to do those individual coils :( ) My back is shorter than my sides and front but I get no hang time from my sides and front like you guys are getting.

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
I just can not get my wash n go's to "curl" so I will practice over Thanksgiving and Christmas break. I don't know if I should be brushing the curls in or using my fingers to coil it or what (I don't have time in the morning to do those individual coils :( ) My back is shorter than my sides and front but I get no hang time from my sides and front like you guys are getting.
For me the brush causes frizz. I just use my fingers. I only style once a week. My curls last all week. What styler are you using? Gel gives me the best results for longevity and curl definition.

For the last week and a half I've forgone using my locsoc. I've been just sleeping on my satin pillow case. My hair isn't squished to my head in the morning and I'm no longer wetting every morning I just let the steam from the shower do its do its thing.

Joigirl

Beautiful. My next project is a trim as well. I'm not ready to switch to straight hair just yet but my ends are riddled with ssk's and getting tangly. I can't wait to get them off.
It's still not where I want it to be, so I will be cutting a little more. Make sure to post your results!

MzRhonda

For me the brush causes frizz. I just use my fingers. I only style once a week. My curls last all week. What styler are you using? Gel gives me the best results for longevity and curl definition.

For the last week and a half I've forgone using my locsoc. I've been just sleeping on my satin pillow case. My hair isn't squished to my head in the morning and I'm no longer wetting every morning I just let the steam from the shower do its do its thing.

I try various stylers and always go back to gels, they work better......my fav is As I Am. I am needing curl definition like you are getting...my wash n go's look like afros...not the look I am going for. :lol:

Guinan

Re-Branding
I'm back to wnging. I very recently decided to stop stretching part of the back portion of my hair with shea butter. I think by keeping the curls intact will help with preventing SSKS and tangles in that area.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I'm under the dryer preparing to do a silk wrap so I can trim then after that I'll be ps eek and destroying a little each day to get all these ssk's. They feel gross and make my hair tangle. As much as I l like the definition from the denman I'm giving it up because my ssk's triple with that thing. And too much shrinkage and tangles too. I'd like to find something to distribute my products and smooth my hair when doing wng's but without the shrinkage. Any ideas?

I'm not sure if I'll be doing wng's for awhile after I put in all this work to get rid of these ssk's, I kinda want to keep my hair stretched awhile. I'll probably either do twist outs or roller sets.

Last edited:

ajargon02

I finally figured out how to do a fake wash-n-go without all the tangles!
I used cheapie aussie moist mixed with melted coconut oil and shingled. It took me about 30 min but it looked great! I only wore my curls for 2 days but it could have lasted a week if I wanted too.
This technique allowed me to not only detangle my hair but gave EXCELLENT definition!

Amarilles

Will everyone be WnGing through the winter? I don't care about going out with damp hair in the cold (doesn't bother me), I see more an issue with the hair canoodling with my coats and DH rubbing up on me with his sweaters and stuff while I resist every urge to push him straight off. Lol.

Does anyone take any measures to protect the hair from rough winterwear? Or is everyone living in a shorts 12 months a year kinda place? :lol:

ajargon02

Will everyone be WnGing through the winter? I don't care about going out with damp hair in the cold (doesn't bother me), I see more an issue with the hair canoodling with my coats and DH rubbing up on me with his sweaters and stuff while I resist every urge to push him straight off. Lol.

Does anyone take any measures to protect the hair from rough winterwear? Or is everyone living in a shorts 12 months a year kinda place? :lol:
I only wng in the warmer months and that's rare. I don't like having wet hair for 2 days and the tangles that follow. However I will do my fake wng this winter since I can avoid all that.

LavenderMint

I wish I lived in a shorts all year climate. The hair breaking from rubbing up on the back of coats & sweaters is a great question. I prefer to wash and go but this will be my first winter with natural hair so we shall see

GGsKin

I wish we had that shorts weather but the days are pretty chilly here:). I'm not WnGing right now but I did last winter. As a newbie, I've been seriously effected by this place and I love it:lol: but I did feel a little barmy when I started wearing my silk scarf around my coat collar like a miniature cape:lachen:.

When I caught myself not trying to look obsessed in front of my friend because she spotted the 'cape' (and already knows I am obsessed lol) I decided wrapping my winter scarf in silk (just the portion touching the back of my neck) looked a little less crazy.

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions

Last winter was my first winter natural, and I wore wash n goes exclusively. With that being said I was a newbie and did not know what I was doing. I was redoing my hair everyday because I couldn't figure out how to get multiple day hair. My hair was wet everyday :lachen:. I now know how to get a whole week out of my wash n go so wet hair really won't be a problem for me. I live in Georgia our winter isn't that cold:cool:. I will be was n going again this winter. I suggest getting some silk scarves or line some scarves like @AbsyBlvd. If your hair long enough pull into a high pony I guess.