Fall/Winter Wash n go challenge

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Today I styled my wash-and-go with the Pantene Natural Defining Curls Custard (it has a MUCH longer name, but I can't remember all of that right now). Nice hold. I was really heavy-handed, and it did not flake. No elongation. No additional definition. Not the best ingredients. Nice price ($4).

I'm going to commit to four consecutive wash-and-go's using the SM Souffle. This because it's not DC-ing, cleansing, or conditioning that are my issues. My issue is sealing moisture and styling.

Next wash-and-go I just want to see what my hair does with just a truly sealing oil:
Clarify: clay wash
Seal: Jojoba oil

After that, for SM Souffle Wash-and-Go #1:
Cleanse: DevaCurl No Poo if needed
Condition: DevaCurl Decadence One Condition (leave it in)
Style: SM souffle

After that, for SM Souffle Wash-and-Go #2:
Condition: DevaCurl Decadence One Condition (rinse it out)
Moisturize: Oyin Hair Dew

I'll design the 3rd and 4th SM Souffle Wash-and-Go's based on the results of the first two.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
If any ladies are having an issue with pineappling try these

I bought a big bag a while ago and I didn't know how to use them. They are supposed to hold your hair without leaving a dent. I personally prefer the cloth covered ones to the plastic ones.

I wanted to try pinappling again so I dug these up and used them. The shape of the bands kind of grip the hair so you can have a secure but loose pony tail.

I split my hair in two high pony puffs and cover with a satin bonnet. Now I get multiple days without needing to refresh. I'm going for 7!

ajargon02

I am starting wng's again. It's just too hot outside and it keeps me cool.
I just use Garnier coconut and vanilla condish, and put wetline xtreme over it. My hair has good definition, but a LOT of shrinkage. I don't mind that though. We'll see how it goes.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas

I bought a big bag a while ago and I didn't know how to use them. They are supposed to hold your hair without leaving a dent. I personally prefer the cloth covered ones to the plastic ones.

I wanted to try pinappling again so I dug these up and used them. The shape of the bands kind of grip the hair so you can have a secure but loose pony tail.

I split my hair in two high pony puffs and cover with a satin bonnet. Now I get multiple days without needing to refresh. I'm going for 7!
I have a plastic one but in so scared my hair is gonna get all tangled in it if I try to sleep in it.

OhTall1

@Napp Where did you find these? I bought some plastic ones from a Chinese vendor on eBay but I've never seen cloth ones.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Today I styled my wash-and-go with the Pantene Natural Defining Curls Custard (it has a MUCH longer name, but I can't remember all of that right now). Nice hold. I was really heavy-handed, and it did not flake. No elongation. No additional definition. Not the best ingredients. Nice price ($4).

I'm going to commit to four consecutive wash-and-go's using the SM Souffle. This because it's not DC-ing, cleansing, or conditioning that are my issues. My issue is sealing moisture and styling.

Next wash-and-go I just want to see what my hair does with just a truly sealing oil:
Clarify: clay wash

After that, for SM Souffle Wash-and-Go #1:
Condition: DevaCurl Decadence One Condition (leave it in)

After that, for SM Souffle Wash-and-Go #2:
Condition: DevaCurl Decadence One Condition (rinse it out)
Moisturize: Oyin Hair Dew

I'll design the 3rd and 4th SM Souffle Wash-and-Go's based on the results of the first two.

Eek. I'm pretty sure I have a bad/old jar of that SM soufflé. It's like a hard/tough jello. My hair does not look good today.

LavenderMint

This weeks wng is working HARD!!
Before anything else, I made sure to thoroughly wet my hair. I washed with DevaCurl Decadence No-Poo & used One Condition. Tangles melted right away. My hair was also super-super soft, I don't know if I like that or not. It may not be so bad on protein weeks. Used Garnier leave-in in the back & KCKT top, front and sides. Styled with Wetline.
The definition is awesome & it's actually evident that my hair grew this summer. I'm fairly sure I can claim armpit length. It shrinks to just shoulder length now.
I was planning to get a trim in October but I don't want to lose too much length. Decisions, decisions.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I have a plastic one but in so scared my hair is gonna get all tangled in it if I try to sleep in it.

I find the plastic ones slip too much for me. The hair stays in place with the cloth and I'm a wild sleeper. Only thing is I have to stretch to open the band before pulling it off. I tried yanking it out very quickly and broke a few strands. Other than that I have no issues!

@Napp Where did you find these? I bought some plastic ones from a Chinese vendor on eBay but I've never seen cloth ones.

I bought them on Amazon. The seller doesn't sell what I bought anymore but I found some that are similar

https://www.amazon.com/cloth-wholesale-telephone-rubber-headdress/dp/B01DYAGEUW

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HNIBRYA/ref=twister_B00HNIBRUY?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

YvetteWithJoy

On break
My 3-month No-Buy starts tomorrow!

So I was sharing at the No-Buy thread my wash-and-go plans.

upload_2016-8-31_18-34-8.png

My plan is to use the pictured products in my core routine (I'll start using the NurCreations clay wash once the Naturalicious clay wash runs out . . . and I'll toggle back and forth between the CRN Curl Maker gel and the Uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Magic gel).
I'm still determining this, but I think I'm going to proceed over the next three months in the following way:
  • Do TWO wash-and-go's using my core routine/products
  • Then do ONE wash-and-go switching things up using other products/techniques in order to try to improve my wash-and-go
  • Etc.
I feel like after conditioning with the DevaCurl One Condition, I need to apply a moisturizer/leave-in BEFORE applying the jojoba oil. I have a little bit of Oyin Hair Dew to play with there, and the CRN Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (not really a gel) to play with there.

I got a compliment on my hair today, and I used 3 of the products above. I feel I need to focus less on elongation and more on incremental styling improvements and on length retention. I will be SO EXCITED if end up 2 inches beyond APL by December 31st! :yep:

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
How are you ladies modifying your regimen for the upcoming fall and winter? I'm thinking of adding avocado butter to help seal in mousture
I can keep using oyin as my leave-in, but I can't use Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Smoothing Lotion. When real Michigan winter comes, I may have to stop doing wash n gos altogether because my hair will freeze. I hate blowdrying, and I can't do loose hair under my hood dryer.

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
Ok I need some help ladies. I know @Pokahontas @Napp and @Saludable84 have all used the curl keeper. I used it on Sunday and loved it for the most part however my hair feels dry to me. I used the curl keeper leave in and gel. It looks beautiful but feels dry to me not really crunchy but dry. Has anyone else noticed this.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Ok I need some help ladies. I know @Pokahontas @Napp and @Saludable84 have all used the curl keeper. I used it on Sunday and loved it for the most part however my hair feels dry to me. I used the curl keeper leave in and gel. It looks beautiful but feels dry to me not really crunchy but dry. Has anyone else noticed this.

I tried Curl Keeper in the past and had the same issue. Lovely definition, shine and bouncy looking curls but my hair felt like it sucked all the moisture out.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Today I used:
-- DevaCurl Decadence No Poo
-- SM High Porosity Masque
-- Oyin Hair Dew
-- Grapeseed oil (because I forgot to put the new bottle of jojoba oil in the shower)
-- Uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Magic

Unless it was a technique issue, I definitely like Camille Rose Naturals Curl Maker (gel) better than UFD Curly Magic (gel).

On another note: I purchased an $18-dollar shower mirror from Bed, Bath, and Beyond yesterday and used it this morning. I looooove it. I felt so encouraged looking at my wet hair and watching the effect of products on my strands. My wet hair is so pretty! I am inspired to grow this pretty natural hair out and get closer to capturing its wet look.

Napp

Ms. Nobody

What leave in did you use?

Curl keeper has a slight cast for me but I scrunch it out and my hair is soft and touchable. I haven't used the gel yet though

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly

I just wrote a review in August Hits and Misses. I used the Original and my most successful use was when I used on soaking wet hair on top of a humectant. I have not used the gel, might experiment tonight, but I dont think it will have hard hold for me. The Original does not leave me with hold and using with a humectant was the only time it left me with soft hair.

bhndbrwneyes

My 3-month No-Buy starts tomorrow!

So I was sharing at the No-Buy thread my wash-and-go plans.

View attachment 372405

My plan is to use the pictured products in my core routine (I'll start using the NurCreations clay wash once the Naturalicious clay wash runs out . . . and I'll toggle back and forth between the CRN Curl Maker gel and the Uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Magic gel).
I'm still determining this, but I think I'm going to proceed over the next three months in the following way:
  • Then do ONE wash-and-go switching things up using other products/techniques in order to try to improve my wash-and-go
  • Etc.
I feel like after conditioning with the DevaCurl One Condition, I need to apply a moisturizer/leave-in BEFORE applying the jojoba oil. I have a little bit of Oyin Hair Dew to play with there, and the CRN Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (not really a gel) to play with there.

I got a compliment on my hair today, and I used 3 of the products above. I feel I need to focus less on elongation and more on incremental styling improvements and on length retention. I will be SO EXCITED if end up 2 inches beyond APL by December 31st! :yep:

I feel like that stash would last me approximately 2 weeks. I cannot get multiday use out of WnGs it's very sad and very expensive.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I've noticed a slight dryness but nothing major. I've never used the leave in. Maybe try a leave in that you know is more moisturizing for you then seal with oil then curl keeper. The gel seems to pair well with the leave ins I've tried. Now the curl keeper original I'm just getting around to using. I tried it yesterday under another gel and my hair turned out really well but I haven't wore it out yet.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I feel like that stash would last me approximately 2 weeks. I cannot get multiday use out of WnGs it's very sad and very expensive.

Awww! Hugs! This is maybe a fifth of my stash. I'm going to see how long I can last with using the pictured bottles/jars for 2 out of every 3 wash-and-go's.

What are your favorite products to use? What is your length? Are you heavy-handed? (I tend to be. :smile:)

bhndbrwneyes

Awww! Hugs! This is maybe a fifth of my stash. I'm going to see how long I can last with using the pictured bottles/jars for 2 out of every 3 wash-and-go's.

What are your favorite products to use? What is your length? Are you heavy-handed? (I tend to be. :smile:)

Still trying to find best products for me. My favorite line though is NaturelleGrow and I also had a lot of success with HairVeda. I was following MHM for a while so there is a microscopic list of approved products. Because of those restrictions, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle and any sort of flaxseed mositurizing gel have been my primaries for a while. Got a few leave'ins and conditioners from SheScentIt recently and had pretty good success with those.

I am heavy handed. I go through about 2 oz per product per style, otherwise, it just does not get applied. I have been working on diluting products though which is why I like MHM and TJ TTT.

My lenght is WL when stretched, fine-medium strands, medium density, low porosity.