Fall/Winter Wash n go challenge

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Afternoon, all!

Today I've decided to wash, DC, and try an LCO with a product I've been wondering about for a looooong time: Wave by Design Define and Shine 2 n 1 Dry Finishing Lotion (link goes to Amazon reviews).

So the steps and products this time include:
  1. Prepoo: Ghee
  2. Shampoo: DevaCurl Decadence No Poo
  3. DC: NaturelleGrow Coconut and Mango Deep Conditioner
  4. (L) Conditioner: DevaCurl Decadence One Condition (I'm going to leave it in)
  5. (C) Styler: Wave by Design Define and Shine Lotion
  6. (O) Sealant: Grapeseed oil (purchase and use jojoba oil next time)
  7. Let dry for 1 hour
  8. Band the hair in sections
  9. Air dry
  10. Shape, fluff, and style
I'll report back!

ETA #1:
Below is a pic after conditioner (leave-in), cream, and oil . . . but before hour-long drying (after which I'll band).

It looked like the crown was going to be undefined again, so I got a little paranoid and added tons more Wave by Design Define & Shine lotion.

(enlarges upon click, then upper-right arrow enlarges it even more)
upload_2016-8-26_15-21-28.png
ETA #2:
Picture at 90% dry, just before banding:
upload_2016-8-26_19-58-38.png

ETA #3:
Picture with hair banded:
upload_2016-8-27_6-45-41.png
ETA #4
Picture of hair just after bands removed but before I started separating the hair sections for styling. And a picture of the final result.
upload_2016-8-27_9-26-41.pngupload_2016-8-27_9-27-24.pngupload_2016-8-27_9-28-21.png

Last edited:

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
I went to my watched threads today, and realized I haven't been in here in awhile. I had about 3 pages to catch up on. I'm still doing my wash n gos. I even started wearing them to work. I got a ton of compliments, and one of my co-workers kept raving about my hair and telling me I look like I'm in my 20s to the point that I wondered if I normally look crazy at work...

Last week, I did Oyin Hair Dew as my leave-in and tried wetline extreme gel for the first time. I love it! The wetline reminds me of my pink eco styler, but with a stronger hold; and reminds me of the krystal eco styler hold but without the flakes. It's the best of both worlds. The only problem is that it still takes forever to dry because it is so thick. I've gotten it down to 2 days drying time. I'm going to see if I can get it down to 1 by using less gel. If so, this may be right up there with my Camille Rose Curl Maker and Uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Magic.

Picture on left is wet hair. Picture on right is dry hair.

Attachments

• Collage 2016-08-26 20_29_29.jpg
    Collage 2016-08-26 20_29_29.jpg
    424.2 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I went to my watched threads today, and realized I haven't been in here in awhile. I had about 3 pages to catch up on. I'm still doing my wash n gos. I even started wearing them to work. I got a ton of compliments, and one of my co-workers kept raving about my hair and telling me I look like I'm in my 20s to the point that I wondered if I normally look crazy at work...

Last week, I did Oyin Hair Dew as my leave-in and tried wetline extreme gel for the first time. I love it! The wetline reminds me of my pink eco styler, but with a stronger hold; and reminds me of the krystal eco styler hold but without the flakes. It's the best of both worlds. The only problem is that it still takes forever to dry because it is so thick. I've gotten it down to 2 days drying time. I'm going to see if I can get it down to 1 by using less gel. If so, this may be right up there with my Camille Rose Curl Maker and Uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Magic.

Picture on left is wet hair. Picture on right is dry hair.

Nice! Love it!

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
I shampooed with Aussie Moist shampoo, conditioned/detangled w/ Infusium 23 Moisture Replenisher condish and deep conditioned w/ Shea Moisture Manuka Honey Masque. I trimmed my ends as I applied the DC let it sit for maybe an hour.

Wash and go w/ Shea moisture raw shea detangler, Olive Oil Eco styler gel and spritzed w/ Carol's Daughter Hair Milk refresher spray and the Black Vanilla leave in spray in that order lol.

my complicated hurr today

Luscious850

It's Wash Day! :drunk:

Since my hair has been responding so well. I found it necessary to simplify things.

------
Cleansing process:
1. Cowash: SM JBCO conditioner
2. Deep Condition: SM JBCO masque (x30min)
3. Oil Rinse: Homemade JBCO mix

------
Styling:
4. Leave in: SM JBCO
5. Moisturizer: SM JBCO lotion
6. Styler: Eco Styler Gel

------
Results:
Layering the styler on top of my leave in and moisturizer was a bit difficult since I was working with thicker products. I air-dried 85% then sat under a hooded dryer. My hair is feeling very soft to the touch I don't even feel the need to oil my ends.

-----
Final thoughts:
I don't really know how to feel about this combination yet.
  • Pro: This combination is extremely moisturizing
  • Pro: I was able to finger detangle throughout the process
  • Con: I like for the products under my styler to have a lot of slip and this JBCO combo didn't do it for me
-----
Random Hair Thoughts:
I need to even out my hair layers. Im growing out a tapered cut and now its in an awkward stage because now that its longer I'm rocking it as a devacut. :spinning: I need to get it together lol. I told myself that when I grow it out a few more inches I can visit a professional salon and have my 1st deva cut.

-----
Pictures:
My hair was not yet fluffed out and was still damp in some areas

Attachments

• IMG_2657.JPG
    IMG_2657.JPG
    894.3 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_2661.JPG
    IMG_2661.JPG
    643.9 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_2668.JPG
    IMG_2668.JPG
    486.3 KB · Views: 62

Luscious850

I used a combo of curl keeper and kinky curly knot today. My hair was flat and ashy looking. Knot today never worked for me before but I was hoping it was just a fluke. Good thing I bought this in store so I can easily return.

What did you end up doing to salvage the style?

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
So much lurking and got enough tips, I'll post here.

I washed with DevaCurl No Poo, conditioned with SM JBCO Masque and applied Aussie Moist over it and detangled a little. Fully rinsed and applied SM LP Leave In and then applied the Curl Keeper Original, all in sections and shingling each section as I did it.

My hair normally look choppy when wet but the shingling allowed it to look like a U-shaped WNG. I did it the night before, pulled it to the front and tied it up. The next more I shook my head and it still had the WNG look. Threw it in a pony.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 65
Last edited:

uofmpanther

I did another wetline wash n go yesterday, but I used Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion and my oil mix, instead of Oyin Hair Dew. This dried faster and looked just as good, but I can't use it year-round because of the glycerin. Left is wet hair, right is dry, but not scrunched out.

Attachments

• 20160827_164505.jpg
    20160827_164505.jpg
    1,016.8 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

planters

View attachment 372087 My no gel wash-n-go. I used Shea Moisture Low Porosity Detangler and Curls Blueberry Bliss pomade. I didn't have any gel while on vacation so I had to improvise. This is super huge day two hair. I love it, but I will need to calm down the volume for work.

ughhh!!! This is the type of beauty that keeps me going with my journey. I use to think Your fullness can only be bought. Not anymore!!!

planters

I did another wetline wash n go yesterday, but I used Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion and my oil mix, instead of Oyin Hair Dew. This dried faster and looked just as good, but I can't use it year-round because of the glycerin

I want my hair texture similar to yours when texturize. Are you natural?

planters

@planters I'm pretty sure everyone who is in this thread is natural. Welcome to the we thread. Why do you feel you would need to texturize to wash n go

I know I can do a wng without a texturizer but I would have to prepare for a trim the next day from ssk and tangles. My hair must remain stretched at all times to avoid knots. Aside from that I also want length.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
i tried using a heavier gel today. i wanted something i was sure would last a week so i used wet line gel. my shrinkage is out of this world. i haven't seen my neck with a wash n go in quite some time! LOL

my hair is super defined. i cant wait for it to fluff up during the week.

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
So I just had to try the curl keeper leave in and gel. So far I like it. The leave is very runny I'm use to a thicker leave in. The runniness actually seemed to help me styling. I didn't need to use my spray bottle with water. I just sectioned in ponytails applied leave in and then the gel throughout each section. It went faster than normal. I sat under dryer for an hour and fifteen minutes. My hair is soft and not crunchy. The true test be tomorrow evenings spin class. Based on my results right now I will repurchase. image.jpeg

uofmpanther

I want my hair texture similar to yours when texturize. Are you natural?

Yes, I am natural. I am not sure if they are visible in the picture, but I have mostly pen sized to pen spring sized coils, with frizz around the edges. Certain gels give me more definition than others. I also had more curls at the crown when my hair was short, so your texture could change as your hair grows.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
How are you ladies modifying your regimen for the upcoming fall and winter? I'm thinking of adding avocado butter to help seal in mousture

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Afternoon, all!

Today I've decided to wash, DC, and try an LCO with a product I've been wondering about for a looooong time: Wave by Design Define and Shine 2 n 1 Dry Finishing Lotion (link goes to Amazon reviews).

So the steps and products this time include:
  1. Prepoo: Ghee
  2. Shampoo: DevaCurl Decadence No Poo
  3. DC: NaturelleGrow Coconut and Mango Deep Conditioner
  4. (L) Conditioner: DevaCurl Decadence One Condition (I'm going to leave it in)
  5. (C) Styler: Wave by Design Define and Shine Lotion
  6. (O) Sealant: Grapeseed oil (purchase and use jojoba oil next time)
  7. Let dry for 1 hour
  8. Band the hair in sections
  9. Air dry
  10. Shape, fluff, and style
I'll report back!

ETA #1:
Below is a pic after conditioner (leave-in), cream, and oil . . . but before hour-long drying (after which I'll band).

It looked like the crown was going to be undefined again, so I got a little paranoid and added tons more Wave by Design Define & Shine lotion.

View attachment 371883
ETA #2:
Picture at 90% dry, just before banding:
View attachment 371925

ETA #3:
Picture with hair banded:
View attachment 371939
ETA #4
Picture of hair just after bands removed but before I started separating the hair sections for styling. And a picture of the final result.
View attachment 371941View attachment 371943View attachment 371945
Looks great! You got a lot of stretch from the banding.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
How are you ladies modifying your regimen for the upcoming fall and winter? I'm thinking of adding avocado butter to help seal in mousture
I usually switch to roller sets during fall/winter but I don't think I'll do it as much this year so I'm trying to decide if I'll just keep wng's or go to twist outs. I usually don't change anything product wise. I'll probably just drop the curl maker to save it mostly for the summer months since I really only use it for the humidity control. I'll just go back to using wetline or edens body works curling jelly.