New *2010* Transitioners Support Thread!

Platinum

I'm thinking about doing a henna treatment when I remove my twists. I'm not sure if I want to get Senegalese Twists again or try another style. I love micros but Senegalese Twists are much easier to take down.

13StepsAhead

I seal my ends with rosemary oil nightly and would definitely say its breakage rather than shedding.

Do you seal your ends at night? I use castor oil to seal my ends every night and I also use it on my edges and new growth to help with moisture. Is your hair shedding as in having white bulbs on the ends or are they actually broken? Some shedding is normal and expected and should not affect the overall length of your hair, as these are hairs that have reached their final stage in the growing cycle. But breakage is another issue that can either be caused by an imbalance in moisture or protein.
http://www.associatedcontent.com/ar...ing_or_breakage_understanding_pg2.html?cat=69

cch24

Beautiful, beautiful hair, can't wait to see the front. How long are you gonna transition???

Thank you so much! I'm anxious to see the front as well because it is a considerably looser texture. I go back and forth on how long I plan to transition. Realistically I would probably be happy with my length in October, which would make two years. I don't plan on wearing my hair straight so I would like enough hair to be between chin and neck length curly. If I make it to October I will probably wait until March or April of 2011 because then I would be able to experiment with my hair more in the warm weather. This transition has been relatively easy and I hope I am able to reach my goals.

I plan on cutting a small section of hair around May to use that as a visual of how long my hair will be. I'll cut the section in the back as that is where my texture is tightest.

I would consider myself to be a 4a/3c. What do you ladies think?

Neek-a-Nator

Your hair looks more 3c to me and if like you say it's even looser in the crown area, you may be a 3b/3c. But whatever category you're in it's beautiful. You definitely have alot of patience, lol. I agree, if you wait to chop at your 2 year mark you mind as well wait until 2011 when the weather is warmer, your hair is long now, so it will definitely be long enough to experiment with various styles.

aevieal

So last night I decided to go natural. My last relaxer was sadly last week. It was the eye opener because I noted how my hair went from growing okay to breaking off terribly. I'm sure there are a few other reasons behind my hair breakage like my scarf tied too tightly and so forth, but I am just tired of chemically treating my hair. I don't like undergoing the creamy crack, but I did it for so long because I was raised with the idea that going straight would make me accepted in society.

This way of thinking has stopped. :)

So, I'm trying to find decent ways to start transitioning. Right now I wear my hair in a bun using a hair comb, but I think I may want to try something a little more protective than that. I was thinking about getting my hair in braids and stick with that for two years. I'm going to grow out my relaxer and then do the big cut instead of doing it right away. I read that using real hair was better because plastic just ruins it. Braids sounds like the easiest solution, but I'm totally down for hearing any other suggestions you ladies may have! :)

Here's to a 2010 towards healthy and natural hair. Hopefully. So scared I'll mess up somewhere and will give up my long run just to run back to the relaxer.

Black Hoya Chick

straightening every 2 weeks from now through march/april - the winter/dryness was making my hair tangle and ****** up my ends. lol. setting it in 4 braids for a wavy look after the initial straightening. it might only have to be 2 braids afterwards.

Platinum

So last night I decided to go natural. My last relaxer was sadly last week. It was the eye opener because I noted how my hair went from growing okay to breaking off terribly. I'm sure there are a few other reasons behind my hair breakage like my scarf tied too tightly and so forth, but I am just tired of chemically treating my hair. I don't like undergoing the creamy crack, but I did it for so long because I was raised with the idea that going straight would make me accepted in society.

So, I'm trying to find decent ways to start transitioning. Right now I wear my hair in a bun using a hair comb, but I think I may want to try something a little more protective than that. I was thinking about getting my hair in braids and stick with that for two years. I'm going to grow out my relaxer and then do the big cut instead of doing it right away. I read that using real hair was better because plastic just ruins it. Braids sounds like the easiest solution, but I'm totally down for hearing any other suggestions you ladies may have! :)

Here's to a 2010 towards healthy and natural hair. Hopefully. So scared I'll mess up somewhere and will give up my long run just to run back to the relaxer.

Congratulations on your decision! I can't speak for anyone else but braids have been an excellent protective style since I started transitioning.:yep:

Grand Prix

Welcome to the club!
Nice feeling isn't it, deciding you don't need relaxers.

Ltown

Greyland
Thank you so much! I'm anxious to see the front as well because it is a considerably looser texture. I go back and forth on how long I plan to transition. Realistically I would probably be happy with my length in October, which would make two years. I don't plan on wearing my hair straight so I would like enough hair to be between chin and neck length curly. If I make it to October I will probably wait until March or April of 2011 because then I would be able to experiment with my hair more in the warm weather. This transition has been relatively easy and I hope I am able to reach my goals.

I plan on cutting a small section of hair around May to use that as a visual of how long my hair will be. I'll cut the section in the back as that is where my texture is tightest.

I would consider myself to be a 4a/3c. What do you ladies think?

I think you are 3b/3c like me. My hair is really straighter in the front this is why when i cut the rest of this relaxer I got to be careful not to cut too much. I was looking at old picture when I was trying to sport afro and it was very floppy in the front.l

MummysGirl

:welcome:

Braids sound like a good idea, make sure you keep an eye on your edges... maybe take a break of a couple of weeks between each installation to get used to your hair as it grows. Also make sure you take care of your hair while in braids - washing, deep conditioning, moisturising :yep:

MzK

10 months and some days so far....the back (which is like, completely natural) is growing in well. Loving my bush/curlies :)) Itching to BC, but I promised my mother I wouldn't until after her wedding day...lol. May get hair braided up again, I dunno--tired of styling it every week and a half.

Lexib

Still havent decided whether I'm officially transitioning or just on a very long term stretch but I'm 6 1/2 months post as of 2 days ago! :D

Surprisingly, I have NO desire to relax - 1/2 due to sheer laziness, 1/2 b/c I'm just loving my texture and very curious to see what I would look like with a head full of 4b/z waves.

We'll see how this goes but I think I can definitely make it to one year in July!!

So far, I'm retaining all my length and recently discovered a reggie that keeps my hair moisturized. All I need to do now is figure out how to make wash day less of a pain in the butt and I'll be set. Suggestions welcome!! :)

Shay72

Natural, 4A
I've noticed I have some breakage in the crown area. For some reason I'm not that upset about it. I more upset about the frizziness of my hair. I had it parted down the middle today and it was so frizzy.

Uniqzoe

I am 5 months post, looking to transition for possibly 1yr to 1.5 yr. I want my hair to be long enough for more styling options.

OhmyKimB

I was really going to come in here and tell y'all I was relaxing my hair. But I'm gonna start crochet braiding my hair to keep it outta my way with work and school plus trying to workout. I do plan on maintaining it with regular rinsing/washing and oiling/greasing up my scalp

I'm now 5 months post relaxer yay!!!!

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ
my bantu knot out was the bomb yesterday and today. too bad it decides to be foggy outside every time i wanna wear one.

i found my snipped piece, and my hair is still super short at 11 months post. i'm just ready for the rest of this transition to pass. ♥

MummysGirl

All I need to do now is figure out how to make wash day less of a pain in the butt and I'll be set. Suggestions welcome!! :)
:hiya: Try this method quoted below out... :yep:

I swear by this method, I am 12 months post, and washing in sections has allowed me to hang onto my relaxed ends, avoid splits, and my "detangling" time is around 5-10 minutes for my entire head.

I usually wear my hair straight so pre-wash it is already detangled. I part my hair down the middle of my head (hairline to nape), and then further divided those halves into 3 sections each. This leaves me with 6 sections. I have experimented with smaller sections, but 6 seems to be the magic number to allow me to adequately get to my scalp, smaller braids tend to be too tight for this.

I leave my braids in for the entire washing process, prepoo, shampoo and deep condition. This is key! My hair never ever gets a chance to tangle through the entire process, so combing at the end is so easy! I was skeptical at first about DC'ing in braids, I wasn't convinced that the product would thoroughly coat my strands, but it works! I use an applicator bottle with a nozzle to get down near the roots, and I always DC with a hooded dryer so this may help the product to adequately reach the inner strands.

In the end because my hair never had a chance to tangle, "detangling" is as simple as running the comb through each section to get rid of any minor tangling, and then I run my knock-off denman through to remove any shed hair. It takes 5-8 minutes, at the most 10 if I had been wearing a textured style the previous week.

MummysGirl

Did you take any pictures?
my bantu knot out was the bomb yesterday and today. too bad it decides to be foggy outside every time i wanna wear one.

i found my snipped piece, and my hair is still super short at 11 months post. i'm just ready for the rest of this transition to pass. ♥

MummysGirl

13 months post :yay: This is week 3 of my hair in pixie braids... they are so good as a transition style although I miss my hair.

I just took a couple of pictures today, I cowashed this morning after my workout.

When I took a couple of braids out, my hair was still damp - SHRINKAGE!:

Length check (kinda), haha! I used my pen to check the length of my natural hair:

I guess I can use the whole length of the pen as my minimum BC (or SC) length for my braid :)lol:) not my loose hair (as my loose hair stretches out more).

I'm taking my braids out this weekend and I'll work on video tutorials for my youtube channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/MummysGirl81)... Most of next week, my hair will be in cornrows or a braidout... And maybe the week after, I'll have my hair in flat twists or cornrows before putting my hair back in pixie braids (w/o extensions) on the 7th of February, for 3 weeks.

Last edited:

LoveCraze

Naturalista
I seal my ends with rosemary oil nightly and would definitely say its breakage rather than shedding.

I would try upping the moisture first, then maybe sealing with castor oil to see if you have any change. Solving breakage issues is a trial and error thing until you get the right combination together. Oh and when you use rosemary oil, are you diluting it with a carrier oil. Natual oils should not be used alone on your hair because they are too potent and can cause hair/scalp damage. If you like the rosemary oil, try combining it with a carrier oil like castor, almond, olive, ect. and see how that works.

HTH

Alta Angel

Tomorrow (01/21) I will officially be 8 months post relaxer. But why do I feel so blah? I am tired of my transition style, I am tired of detangling, and I don't know if my hair is growing. I know this is just a phase, but I am just ready to be all natural...

dr.j

^^^^ I feel you, Alta Angel. I'll be 7 months post this weekend and I've been feeling blah. My transitioning styles are bunning and braidouts. I was complaining to my friend (who's natural) about the little straight hairs that stick up by the end of the day whenever I bun. When she saw me, she was like: it looks fine. That made me feel a little better.
You're right - it's just a phase. We have to take it one day at a time.

Stay encouraged!

Lexib

:hiya: Try this method quoted below out... :yep:

Hello to you too and thanks!

I just started doing this on my last wash day but used 4 sections/braids. I will attempt 6 and see how it goes. :yep:

That's the thing I miss most about relaxed hair - I actually used to enjoy washing my hair b/c I could get my fingers through the stuff. Now??? Lord help me. lol. It's all a part of the learning process I guess. :drunk:

MzK

I feel the same about my hair (10 months)--I did a mini bc at the crown...and I was excited, but disappointed. So SHORT!:wallbash:
And like you, I can't wait until I reach my transiton goal.:yep: