Summer 2010 Growth Challenge

Loveygram

Thank you for adding me :yep:!

Length has not changed much from my siggy of June,2009. Since I just put in twists I'll post now w/ my last loose pic taken a week ago.

5'6" from nape mbl stretched natural .
Regimen;
Co wash 1 - 3 x a week using honey w/conditioner anything good on sale.
Shampoo 1 - 2 x monthly - Chagrin Valley soaps/ Dr Bronner.
Rinses ACV or Nettle tea.
Deep Condition 1 - 2 monthly - Coconut oil, cream or milk/honey mix.
Moisturize - mostly water w/essential oils.
Oil/Butters - EVOO, Argan, coconut, shea, cocoa or any combo of the 4.
Protective styling - twists, braid, etc.

Starting pic

April 2010

Last edited:

lucea

I'm in!

1. Post a starting picture by the last week of May. If you're getting a sew in or braids please post a pic before then. Will post in May.
2. State number of inches and body measurement mark of your longest layer of hair. So if the hair along your nape is 10" and reaches APL state so. Longest layer - nape is APL.
3. Mention your Regimen. This includes wash routines, staple products, vitamins and how you plan to wear your hair during the summer. I'm not placing restrictions. If you want to flat iron your hair everyday and change the color every week that's on you. However, don't feel bad if others are two inches longer and you're two inches shorter. Wash once a week w/Elucene MB, DC with steam - Jane Carter Nutrient Enriching Conditioner, henna every 4-6 weeks, seal with avocado butter. ACV rinse.
4. Also, mention if you're relaxed or natural. I don't think hair type is important but you can mention it if you want to. Transitioning.

I hope to be on my way to BSL by summer's end, wouldn't mind an inch every month! Starting Gueye's vitamins as soon as they come in the mail, and currently taking chlorella and Biosil nightly.

ETA: PIC Not the best length shot, but oh well :grin:.

Last edited:

NJoy

Here I grow again!
Man! Gotta remember to come back and post my info in May. Uh, I might need a lil help.

augiemoment

ooh please add me, i'm in braids right now but will be taking them off next week, will post my pics by second week latest
i am so excited cos this is my first challenge

eta
i think i'll post everything fist week of may because i honestly dont know how long my hair is cos ive been stretching for more than 16 weeks now and will prolly be 5 months post before i relax .
so i will post my pics after fresh relaxer so i can really record and measure my progress.

My regimen:
Co-wash hair 2 days a week with cheapie conditioner, pre poo with Evoo and cheapie condish and then shampoo on Saturdays with moisturising shampoo and dc. Rinse and apply leave in condish and air dry. Then apply oil moisturiser and seal with castor oil, applying extra on ends. Bun hair loosely and at night take down and tie with scarf to bed. Moisturise and seal every day. Clarify once and use heavy protein once. Do not, I repeat do not wear hair down except at night and must cover hair with satin scarf.

Work out four days a week for 70 minutes and rinse hair (co-wash) afterwards. Take daily vitamin to aid hair growth. Do garlic treatments every two weeks when shedding is noticed. Use colour hair mask for hair colouring, no permanent hair dye

Last edited:

grow

Shampoo 1 - 2 x monthly - Chagrin Valley soaps/ Dr Bronner.
ACV or Nettle tea rinses.

hi Loveygram! i'm glad you joined! could you tell us some more about your experience with Chagrin Valley soaps?
i've seen their awesome products and have been thinking about trying them, but have always thought soap poo would be too drying.
(at least the one i tried from Longhairlovers was!:sad:)

also, please explain how you wash with Nettle.
i've been using it in my tea rinses and have even considered starting to drink it because of a thread where it's said to improve hair growth, but i've never considered it as a sole ingredient for shamppoing. that's new.

Can't wait til we all grow this summer:lick:

/QUOTE]

i totally agree with you, Janei!

hhg ladies!

Loveygram

hi Loveygram! i'm glad you joined! could you tell us some more about your experience with Chagrin Valley soaps?
i've seen their awesome products and have been thinking about trying them, but have always thought soap poo would be too drying.
(at least the one i tried from Longhairlovers was!:sad:)

also, please explain how you wash with Nettle.
i've been using it in my tea rinses and have even considered starting to drink it because of a thread where it's said to improve hair growth, but i've never considered it as a sole ingredient for shamppoing. that's new.
hhg ladies!

hI Grow!

Thank you. This should be great fun :yep:!
I love those soaps! I started by getting some samples and settled on a few diff ones I liked best. Currently I'm using Marsh mallow babassu . I only soap poo when I DC so I'm not experiencing the drying effect.

They have developed an extra moisturising bar called butter bar conditioner but I haven't tried it yet and right now its sold out.

No, I just use the nettle tea as a rinse. Sorry for the miss direction :look:.
HHG !
BTW These soaps have wonderful natural smell.

Mad Scientist

I want in!!
1. I don't know if I'll straighten my hair again before the start of the challenge so I'll post this as my starting pic. I may change it if I straightten my hair again.

2. My hair's between 6 and 8 inches long. And it's APL.

3. My reggie: cowash daily. Rotate styles between wash n go & protective styles (buns, etc). Shampoo once a week and DC afterward. NO HEAT until August.

4. I'm natural

KSand

I would like to join! My starting pics are attached, I just took them and got a trim today. I'm not sure how to measure but its almost APL. I will be starting early (May 1st) and my regimen will be:

- preepoo, wash, DC and rollerset weekly
- NO FLAT IRON
- 2500mcg MSM, 5mg Biotin and a B50 daily
- Kenra poo and con, AOHSR poo and dc, Aussie Moist, Aphogee 2 minute, NTM leave-in, castor &c oconut oil (prepoo)

I'm natural with heat damage so hopefully I can perfect this rollersetting technique. Hoping to see lots of new growth in 4 months. HHG!

Attachments

• DSCF0022.jpg
    DSCF0022.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCF0025.jpg
    DSCF0025.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 17

divastyle2010

Yayyyyyyy! I am in the first challenge I joined, sorry I am A newbie and excited!!!!:grin: I hope I can remember to post my May starting pic even though I am moving to Virginia Beach this Thursday!!! But I will make sure I do...
MY LONGEST LAYER IS NECK LENGTH, I AM ALSO RELAXED![/B]
My Regimen::lick:
Wash 1x a week(hello hydration or organix smooth shea butter)
deep condition after every wash(Ors mayonaise or replenishing conditioner)
Protein treatment every six weeks (aphrogee)
baggy 5-6 days a week
keep my hair french braided under my half wig
moisturize and seal daily(scurl,ors lotion, and so on)
Scalp treatments( sulfur solutions hair serum complex)
hair growth aides(mn mix, megatek, sulfur solutions hair serum complex)
No Heat till october (my next relaxer 6 month stretch)
every other day alternate with mn mix or mega-tek mix
VITAMINS: ONE A DAY FOR WOMEN
MSM, BIOTIN, <<I NEED TO START BACK TAKING THESE..

I'M ALSO IN THE HEALTHY ENDS CHALLENGE I THINK IT WILL HELP WITH RETAINING LENGTH HOPEFULLY!!!

I JUST WANT TO SAY THAT YOU LADIES ON HERE ARE AN INSPIRATION AND A REASON WHY I DECIDED TO FINALLY SUBSCRIBE. I HAD UTERUS CANCER A FEW YEARS BACK AND WOKE UP TO MY MBL HAIR ALL OVER MY PILLOWS BEFORE I KNEW SOMETHING WAS WRONG. I BELIEVE I AM NOW NL AFTER MUCH NURSING FROM LURKING ON THE HAIR CARE BOARDS I MEAN I ALMOST WANTED TO GIVE UP BUT DIDN'T!!! THANK YOU TO ALL!!!:yep:

Last edited:

detroitdiva

Count me in beautiful. I'll post my pics n regimen later on today! I'm already doing my own 160 day hair challenge with restrictions bt I would love to see how I do in just a couple of weeks! Good luck ta all my beautiful ladies!!! Go Go Go!!!

divastyle2010

I decided that i will be doing a 6 month stretch also , so it will be no heat till october 10,2010<my next relaxer....:grin: I am so excited about this challenge... I am ready...deep conditioning as we speak!:lachen: My starting pic will be in my siggy or profile pic. My hair is just a tad bit longer than that... but I may still do another pic end of may...

Last edited:
I'm in, i've had a sew-In for 7 weeks and I'm trying to keep it in for 3 more....after that, I'm going to braid the front and put a sew-in in the back.... I'll post my starting pics in 3 weeks.... :)

divastyle2010

so excited..............i opened up a photobucket account to set up pics for when the challenge starts! can anyone pls tell me which code to copy and paste to be able to post pics and not links?

Last edited:

Shana'

I'm in. Ill be back sometime this weekend to add my info. OP, this is a great challenge. Thanks.

JunesChapeau

I'm new but I would absolutely love to join this challenge! I actually decided to stop lurking and subscribe so I could do this challenge. I am approximately a little past shoulder length but I will put more definite answers, regiments and pictures toward the end of May.
Thanks LovelyNaps26 for doing this! :grin:

xyra

I'm getting a head start on this challenge and spent an hour today trying to figure out a protective bun style without using pony tail holders. I was able to do a bun with bobby pins only, so this will be my main style with some tweaks added along the way (pics included in this post). It is really windy today so I did a test run out in the wind, and minus a few pieces here and there, it held pretty well.

I'm tweaking my regimen though. I will be shampooing with Mane and Tail and deep conditioning with Queen Helene Cholesterol for an hour every 2 weeks. I will also clarify with Suave Clarifying shampoo once a month. I will be applying Boundless Tresses on my scalp daily or every other day (still deciding) and will moisturize the length of my hair daily with Care Free Curl Gold. For classes and work I will be doing my pinned up bun, otherwise I will quickly put my hair up with a claw clip. Absolutely no pony tail holders will be used by me at all. Unless a special occassion arises, I will only flat iron my hair once every two weeks. I realize that for my sanity, I cannot completely eliminate heat from my regimen.

Will post an actual length shot soon.

(Please excuse the water spot on the mirror and the piece of fly away hair that I fixed:) )

Attachments

• Image002.jpg
    Image002.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 25
  • Image009.jpg
    Image009.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Image014.jpg
    Image014.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 21

divastyle2010

I'm doing well, keeping my hair cornrowed under my half wigs, applying my mn,mt,sulfur 8 mix on my scalp, and moisturizing and sealing with s-curl and evoo oil.... did it today and taking care of my ends, with baggying.... I am also in the healthy ends challenge and mn, and oct/mt challenge so I can't wait to see what happens!!!

30something

Sign me up!
The only thing I can add to my regimen to increase growth is taking vitamins and exercising, I'm skeptical how much exercise increase hair growth, was going to do it for my health

My Regimen will be, Co wash frequently, DC twice a week, Shampoo once a week, moisturize 4-7 times a week. Air dry.

Platinum

:curtain: I wanna join!:look: I BC'd on April 28 and this challenge is a great way for me to see if I have a growth spurt in the summer.

Shampoo with Creme of Nature Ultra Moisturizing Shampoo (old formula) once a week
Cowash Daily or every other day with Suave Humectant or any other moisturizing condish
Moisturize Daily with Worlds of Curls moisturizer or Sta Sof Fro
Seal with Vatika oil or Castor oil (clear or black)

I may also go back to MN or Megatek mixed with Sulfur.

Here's a link to my BC thread for starting pics. http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=465242

Last edited:

divastyle2010

checking in, i applied my mn mix and moisturized and sealed!!! and baggied looking good, my hair still in braids and my ends are great i think i learned a trick to applying my rubberbands above my ends for less damage and i can moisturize them! i'm relaxed so my braids will unravel other wise.:grin:

Katherina

I'm in! :grin:

Starting picture by the last week of May. (will do)

Number of inches: ~26
Body measurement mark: APL

3. Regimen:

~ 1-2x per week:

Put EVCO & water on hair & pull shed hairs / detangle
make 8 braids
shampoo in braids
rinse & towel blot excess water from hair
apply ao white camelia, dc 2 hours, leave in (or just HEHH)
rebraid & roll ends

sometimes i do additional braidouts during the week.

4. I'm natural, fine, & 4a.

EDIT: starting pics in album

Last edited:

Aggie

Okay I'm in. Please add me. Here's my starting pics:

Attachments

• 100% Natural Hair April 30, 2010.jpg
    100% Natural Hair April 30, 2010.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Natural Hair Length Check Rear.jpg
    Natural Hair Length Check Rear.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 13