3 Month Ayurveda Challenge

Platinum

I used coconut and bringraj oils on my hair last night. Now I'm sitting here with my brahmi cowash mix in, then will DC. I love with Ayurveda's doing for my hair.:grin: I miss using my blow dryer though.

flowinlocks

I have been doing my cowashes with my powders a least 4 times a week, I have really been kicking it up, making sure I massage my hair & scalp daily with my homemade oils. Last night I did a Hendigo and this morning I did a seperate Indigo treatment. I wanted to see if this would yeild darker results, and I'm pleased to say it did.

Platinum

I have been doing my cowashes with my powders a least 4 times a week, I have really been kicking it up, making sure I massage my hair & scalp daily with my homemade oils. Last night I did a Hendigo and this morning I did a seperate Indigo treatment. I wanted to see if this would yeild darker results, and I'm pleased to say it did.

Congratulations!:up:

Faith

I'm not part of the challenge...I'm using heat weekly but I wanted to ask some questions.
I did a paste today of amla, henna, brahmi, shikakai and some DPR11. It all went well except it was really hard to rinse out and I still have some herbs in my hair now..lol. Is there a way to "melt" the herbs? If I used hot tea to mix it up would that dissolve the herbs a bit?

Oh and I have to add, my hair feels really GREAT afterwards. I did a pre-ayurvedic treatment of coconut oil then I applied the paste, massaged it in and left it for 1hr and after I rinsed my hair was really soft. I will try it without any conditioner next time.

Hey I get away with not using standard shampoos if I'm using shikakai, right?

Last edited:

MissMusic

^^^^ Yep you can get away with not using standard shampoo. You can't really melt the powder out of the hair, but I use conditioner to give it something to hold on to. Using water alone really doesn't get it all out. I co-wash two to three times when rinsing a paste out, always works for me. I use Vo5 Moisture Milks Strawberries and Cream or Suave Humectant. HTH!

flowinlocks

I'm not part of the challenge...I'm using heat weekly but I wanted to ask some questions.
I did a paste today of amla, henna, brahmi, shikakai and some DPR11. It all went well except it was really hard to rinse out and I still have some herbs in my hair now..lol. Is there a way to "melt" the herbs? If I used hot tea to mix it up would that dissolve the herbs a bit?

Oh and I have to add, my hair feels really GREAT afterwards. I did a pre-ayurvedic paste of coconut oil then I applied the paste, massaged it in and left it for 1hr and after I rinsed my hair was really soft. I will try it without any conditioner next time.

Hey I get away with not using standard shampoos if I'm using shikakai, right?

I notice you have a nice amount of length to your hair, I have a hard time getting some of the herbs out of my hair and I'm only grazing SL, what has worked for me is only doing the paste when I'm no more than 6 weeks post. After my ng gets too out of hand it's teas only for me. Also making my pastes out of cheapie cond. only (no water) HAS HELPED A LOT, I also read where some members sift their herbs to get out more of the big pieces, and also filling up the kitchen sink & letting the bits kind of float out of your hair.Please don't try it without cond.:nono: I believe that's one of the things that's help keep my hair moist and kept me from having excessive dryness from the powders. And yes you def. can get away without shampoo:yep: As a matter of fact I'm getting to the point where I like shampoo less & less. I do it (shampoo) about once a month. HTH

Noir

You can get 16 ounces of brahmi/gotu kola @ www.herbco.com for $4.60 :grin:
That is NOT vedic Brahmi :)

Ayurvedic brahmi (Bacopa monnieri) is not the same as gotu kola (Centella asiatica) however some books/sites ref to Brahmi as Gotu kola. In ayurveda they are both used but are 2 completely different herbs, although it is suggested that they are related. I have both and use both for hair.

Here is some more info.

Note: brahmi is not Gotu Kola (Centella asiatica) although some reference books may say that gotu kola is called brahmi in Sanskrit. Both brahmi and gotu kola are esteemed Ayurvedic herbs.
http://www.herbsarespecial.com.au/free-herb-information/brahmi.html

Note, some herb books may refer to Gotu kola which is Centella asiatica, as Brahmi, and it is sometimes given this common name, but note, Gotu kola is not Bacopa monnieri, the plant which this article is written about
http://www.riverhouse.com.au/products/brahmi.htm

You can also read in more depth about each herb here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacopa_monnieri
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centella_asiatica

Noir

OP I'm gonna have to bow out of this challenge. I WILL be sticking to my vedic regimen but I don't plan on doing any length checks until the summer and I can't keep up with all these challenges lol.

I'll just watch from the sidelines, cheering ya'll on :yep:

Platinum

OP I'm gonna have to bow out of this challenge. I WILL be sticking to my vedic regimen but I don't plan on doing any length checks until the summer and I can't keep up with all these challenges lol.

Awww... Stay with us!:look:

MissMusic

Ahh man.:sad:

MissMusic

That is NOT vedic Brahmi :)

Ayurvedic brahmi (Bacopa monnieri) is not the same as gotu kola (Centella asiatica) however some books/sites ref to Brahmi as Gotu kola. In ayurveda they are both used but are 2 completely different herbs, although it is suggested that they are related. I have both and use both for hair.

Here is some more info.

Note: brahmi is not Gotu Kola (Centella asiatica) although some reference books may say that gotu kola is called brahmi in Sanskrit. Both brahmi and gotu kola are esteemed Ayurvedic herbs.
http://www.herbsarespecial.com.au/free-herb-information/brahmi.html

Note, some herb books may refer to Gotu kola which is Centella asiatica, as Brahmi, and it is sometimes given this common name, but note, Gotu kola is not Bacopa monnieri, the plant which this article is written about
http://www.riverhouse.com.au/products/brahmi.htm

You can also read in more depth about each herb here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacopa_monnieri
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centella_asiatica

yep, that's why I decided to keep buying this powder from the store in 100g increments. However the others I have stocked up on.

Eisani

I haven't been posting much in this thread because well, I haven't been doing much :spank:! I always oil my scalp w/Bhringraj oil, even if I'm not about to wash but I haven't used my powders and stuff in about a month I'm guessing...I think it's because I'm out of hibiscus flowers and I keep forgetting to go get more. I don't know why, but nothing feels complete w/o hibiscus. My hair loves it! Wait, I've been doing green tea rinses that include methi (fenugreek) and amla so that counts, right :look:?

Platinum

:bump:

I'm wearing braids for a few weeks so I won't be able to do my Ayurvedic cowashes. I may try the tea rinses when I have time. I'm thinking about making a scalp oil with Neem, Brahmi, and Maka when I get home.

Faith

Platinum, I decided to continue my ayurvedic regimen while in braids. I made some tea and added some amla and brahmi powders, let it "cook" for a while then strained it to get the grit out then I added a couple EO and some leave in conditioner and made a braid spray. So far so good :) Maybe you can still use thos powders?

Platinum

Platinum, I decided to continue my ayurvedic regimen while in braids. I made some tea and added some amla and brahmi powders, let it "cook" for a while then strained it to get the grit out then I added a couple EO and some leave in conditioner and made a braid spray. So far so good :) Maybe you can still use thos powders?

I didn't think about using the leave-in with this. That's a good idea. Thanks.

Prose Princess

I did my first ayurveda tea rinse yesterday! I made a "tea bag" out of some too-big tights that my boyfriend's mother gave me for christmas :giggle: and put 2 parts fenugreek powder, 1 part amla, and 1 part brahmi powder in it, boiled some water, put it in a cup, then let my tea bag sit in it for about an hour. (Is this a good way to do it, or will I reap the benefits better doing it a different way?) I prepooed with Dabur Amla oil for about an hour, then poured my mixture over my head, put a plastic cap on, sat under the dryer for about 20 minutes, and continued with my regular wash and DC routine. I must say I really liked the way my hair felt after I rinsed the tea out and would have left it in longer had I not been pressed for time. This is definitely going to be a part of my regimen from now on, except next time I think I will try to use my Shikakai bar after the tea rinse instead of CON shampoo. I'm too chicken to use the actual shikakai powder in my mixes instead of shampoo cuz for one, my hair dries out VERY easily, and for two, I'm terrified of product build-up if it doesn't really cleanse with the tea rinse (I'm too lazy to fool with the paste).

Aaaanyway, I'm really glad I tried this stuff out. I love my Vatika oil too! :yep:

flowinlocks

I just tried Vatika oil for the first time a few weeks ago & I'm hooked!!!I'm going on 9 wks. post & it keeps my ng sooooo soft, I love the smell & if my mind isn't playing tricks on me , it seems to be making my hair grow also. I have been doing the teas a bit more because they are easier than the pastes at this stage in my relaxer. The cond. mud packs are also working wonders for helping me stretch. I did a cowash with Suave Humectant, Aritha, Neem, & Shikakai. Then followed up with a dc ORS, NTM, Aphogee BM spiked with Fenugreek, Bhrami, Bhringraj, & Amla. I let this sit for an hour with a plastic cap then rinsed. My hair feels soft, thick, & moist. & it's still feeling soft even as it air dries:yep: When it dries I'll oil my scalp with Bhrami oil & follow up with my beloved Vatika:love4:

msde13

For the ladies straining their powders to make tea...use the leftover sediment as a facial...when I was in India this is what they do and it really pulls all the junk out of your skin and the benefits in the herbs works wonders for your skin...also...I know some people to put their powders in a caste iron kettle, pouring hot water over it, and brewing it overnight...has anyone ever tried this...my only concern is that it will make a blend that is too strong...too much of anything could be bad...but I guess as your hair get use to it you could do this...hmmm...

Jaxhair

Right - from page 1,2,3 to 11 to last page - I need to read this thread well - I do some ayurveda but the info here is .... wow!

I tell you, reading up on these challenge threads and other LHCF threads etc - I could so happily be a nerd, lol! I need a full time job just researching and reporting on things I love doing, lol!

Subscribing!

MissMusic

I made a tea using kiesha8185's way to see if it would work the same as the paste. Let me say that it certainly does and it is way less messier than the paste. For the actual mix and process check out my blog. I may never use the paste again.

ladycage

Maybe its just me but I think Vatika oil stinks. I use it with Amla oil but it doesn't smell like coconuts at all. I think my hair likes it though so I will continue to use it.

Faith

I don't like Vatika's smell either but like you said it works. I'm going to use it more as a prepoo than a daily moisturizer.