4 Month Ayurveda Newbie Challenge 2010 pt 2

grow

ok, today is the day i re start my Ayurveda post perm!

today i'm gonna mix:
1 tsp of amla
1 tsp of rose powder
1 tsp of moringa leaf powder
1 tsp of kelp powder
1 tsp of neem powder
2 tsp of hibiscus powder
2 tsp of fenugreek powder
2 tsp of brahmi powder
2 tsp maka powder

into a glass bowl with fenugreek seed tea
aloe vera juice
placenta hot oil
evoo, jbco, coconut oils

i will then leave the paste on my hair for 20 minutes, then co wash it off.

Last edited:

grow

the above listed treatment went extremely well!

it's one of the first times that i noticed no drying cakey clay like feeling on my head when using the pastes.

it could have been due to the maka or hibiscus or fenugreek powders or maybe it was the oils. i don't know, but i'm going to do another one tomorrow!

twice a week is what got me off to a good start at the beginning of this year, so i'm going to stick to that schedule for now, too!

hhj ladies!

Nasdaq_Diva

Just received my 2lbs Maka powder yesterday from FNWL!

I made another batch of shikakai co-wash (which I hope is better than the last batch I made)

32oz Tresemme Vitamin E Conditioner
half box shikakai
half box brahmi
10 TBS Maka

grow

Just received my 2lbs Maka powder yesterday from FNWL!

I made another batch of shikakai co-wash (which I hope is better than the last batch I made)

32oz Tresemme Vitamin E Conditioner
half box shikakai
half box brahmi
10 TBS Maka

that is a FABULOUS IDEA, Nasdaq_Diva!

i simply must try that!:lick:

how long does a batch keep?
(i'm thinking you use the Hesh type box size, right?)

THANKS!:yep:

Nasdaq_Diva

Last time I used about 12oz of suave humectant and suave coconut with 7tbs of shikakai and brahmi. I co washed 5x a week with it. It lasted me about a month

Nasdaq_Diva

Here is where I got the recipe from. I saw no point in all the extras as I already oil my scalp a few times a week anyways:
http://www.longhairdontcare.net/lon...ed-20090628-muftz/2008/09/shikai-co-wash.html

This is her recipe:
The ingredients that I use are:
-1 (200g) box Shikakai Powder
-1 (32 oz) bottle Suave Humectant Conditioner
-1-2 cups Virgin Unrefined Coconut Oil
-2 teaspoons Rosemary Essential Oil
-1 teaspoon Peppermnt Essential Oil

grow

Here is where I got the recipe from. I saw no point in all the extras as I already oil my scalp a few times a week anyways:
http://www.longhairdontcare.net/lon...ed-20090628-muftz/2008/09/shikai-co-wash.html

This is her recipe:
The ingredients that I use are:
-1 (200g) box Shikakai Powder
-1 (32 oz) bottle Suave Humectant Conditioner
-1-2 cups Virgin Unrefined Coconut Oil
-2 teaspoons Rosemary Essential Oil
-1 teaspoon Peppermnt Essential Oil

girl, now you've got me thinking about the eo's, too!!!:lachen:
up until now, i had mostly been using them for my shorter, harder to grow areas (in jbco carrier oil), but now, i'm thinking i need to whip those up into my Ayurveda care, too!
that way, i can use them up a little faster....so they don't go bad.....

thanks so much for the recipie and the link!:yep:

Nasdaq_Diva

So, I'm sitting here in 6 plaits with eVCO on them under a shower cap. I have a watery mixture (that has separated lol) that I made last night that I'm going to apply in a few hours

1tsp Aritha
2TBS Maka

I feel like I'm neglecting my brahmi, so I may add her on in there too lol

janda

Just finished oiling my scalp and hair with brahmi amla oil. Will shampoo with shikakai 3 in 1 and DC with Wen Remoist overnight. I need to order some powders.

grow

yes, NasdaqDiva, don't let brahmi feel all left out, lol!

today i'm going to try my first batch of conditioner/Ayurveda!!!!!

i'm just thrilled with it and have found what i believe to be a true staple!!!!

it's the best of both worlds!!!!!!!!

thanks again, NasdaqDiva!!!!!!!

Nasdaq_Diva

yes, NasdaqDiva, don't let brahmi feel all left out, lol!
I ended up pouring out the 'tea' since it got separated and added about 2TBS Brahmi to thicken the paste up some. I love brahmi so much :grin:

My hair feels great, as expected.

janda

I'm going to take the plunge and buy some powders. Would you recommend FNWL (they're having a sale) or AyurNatural Beauty? Any difference in the powders besides the bulk packaging with FNWL?:perplexed

I really want to try the conditioner recipe.

Nasdaq_Diva

I'm going to take the plunge and buy some powders. Would you recommend FNWL (they're having a sale) or AyurNatural Beauty? Any difference in the powders besides the bulk packaging with FNWL?:perplexed

I really want to try the conditioner recipe.
If I were you, I'd start off small and purchases from ayurnatural. You need to experiment and find which powders work best for your hair. It would suck to purchase huge 1lb bags and find out it isn't working out for you.

On a positive note, I just recently made a bulk purchase from FNWL for some Maka! I'm happy with my purchase.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
So, I'm finally going to start with henna and indigo. I placed my order last night and also reupped on some oils. I've added Vatika Oil and Navratna Oil to my list also. We'll see how those work. I'm excited about the prospect of being a hennindigo-head. *sigh* Can't believe my order's not here yet. :grin:

grow

If I were you, I'd start off small and purchases from ayurnatural. You need to experiment and find which powders work best for your hair. It would suck to purchase huge 1lb bags and find out it isn't working out for you.

On a positive note, I just recently made a bulk purchase from FNWL for some Maka! I'm happy with my purchase.

i'm glad you got that brahmi in the mix!
are you going to add some maka when it arrives?
how has your experience been with it? i just started using it this week, so it's my newest addition. i don't know how i'll be able to tell the difference with the ones i already use....:rolleyes:

So, I'm finally going to start with henna and indigo. I placed my order last night and also reupped on some oils. I've added Vatika Oil and Navratna Oil to my list also. We'll see how those work. I'm excited about the prospect of being a hennindigo-head. *sigh* Can't believe my order's not here yet. :grin:

i'm so excited for your henna and indigo! but what's this Navratna Oil??? now that's an oil i've never heard of!

btw, with the cowash jug i made from the longhairdontcare web site, i just thought i'd add that i put mine in a Glass Jar.

i've read that essential oils must be kept in glass jars because their potency can react with the plastic. (which is probably also why they are only sold in glass jars...)

i didn't see that info with the recipie, so i just thought i'd share it here.

i absolutely love love love my raspberry ice cream looking ayurveda conditioner washing!!! (maka, hibiscus, fenugreek, brahmi base to which i plan to add shikakai, amla, neem, kelp and aritha as needed for particular treatments.)

Nasdaq_Diva

i'm glad you got that brahmi in the mix!
are you going to add some maka when it arrives?
how has your experience been with it? i just started using it this week, so it's my newest addition. i don't know how i'll be able to tell the difference with the ones i already use....:rolleyes:
I got the Maka shipped here earlier this week FNWL in 2lbs! I LOVE Maka so much. Outside of Brahmi, it's my 2nd fave powder. It leaves my hair very soft and conditioned..but it doesn't have 'slip' so I don't want anyone to think that. It just seems like to cooperate more. Alot more moisture to my strands when I use Maka.

grow

thank you for that important info! ^^^

i've been thinking about henna and indigo ing my relaxed (texlaxed) hair and the ladies tell me i need alot of moisture if i do it, so i'm glad to know that maka works!

grow

i forgot to add......

i had been reading alot on coffee and tea rinses and how they help activate our hair folicles, but every time i tried them, my hair felt dry afterwards.

well, in my ayurveda conditioner mix, i managed to put in 7 tbsp of pure coffee and i got the tingle vibrant feeling and not the dry hair!

now i'm thinking maybe the maka had something to do with that....hmmmmm.....

Hmmm, I thought that I was making a tea last night, but I ended up making a spritz. So far so good. I mixed together Neem, Amla, Brahmi, vitamin E, a little bit of WGO, and some watered down conditioner. We'll see what happens:)

grow

just checking in......

did my mix of powders, liquids (this time i used nettle tea, coffee, and avj), eo's, cconditioner and oils and have it on under saran wrap right now.

this time, i'm trying a new idea Lavendar taught me which is leaving it on even more than 1 hour.

we'll see how this one goes....!

(it feels good though....it's tingling and all.)

grow

i love the way the leaving them on for longer than an hour turned out!

MY NEW AYURVEDA PACKAGE JUST ARRIVED THIS MORNING!!!

i'm so excited!

next step is to get some oil (evoo and grapeseed oil) because now, i'm thrilled about making my own homemade oils of:
maka
hibiscus petal powder
fenugreek

cannot wait to do it!!!

ETA: in the package was also my order for amla capsules.
i've tried the paste, tea rinses, and made oil, but this will be the first time trying the capsules internally.

Last edited:

Nasdaq_Diva

i love the way the leaving them on for longer than an hour turned out!

MY NEW AYURVEDA PACKAGE JUST ARRIVED THIS MORNING!!!

i'm so excited!

next step is to get some oil (evoo and grapeseed oil) because now, i'm thrilled about making my own homemade oils of:
maka
hibiscus petal powder
fenugreek

cannot wait to do it!!!

ETA: in the package was also my order for amla capsules.
i've tried the paste, tea rinses, and made oil, but this will be the first time trying the capsules internally.

Using EVOO may stink up your mixture. I can't wait to see how your oil turns out though.

I'm still using my Shikakai co-wash (no problems still) I need to get back to my scalp massages though. I was really slipping on that!

grow

Using EVOO may stink up your mixture. I can't wait to see how your oil turns out though.

I'm still using my Shikakai co-wash (no problems still) I need to get back to my scalp massages though. I was really slipping on that!

please explain how EVOO may stink up my mixture?
(meaning, as opposed to grapeseed oil? which do you use?)

i'm glad your shikakai cowashes are working out! remember my mold scare? well, no more! i just mix it fresh every time!

oh, and :naughty: get back on those massages at once young lady! :whip:
you know you're hair loves 'em!:yep:

Nasdaq_Diva

please explain how EVOO may stink up my mixture?
(meaning, as opposed to grapeseed oil? which do you use?)

i'm glad your shikakai cowashes are working out! remember my mold scare? well, no more! i just mix it fresh every time!

oh, and :naughty: get back on those massages at once young lady! :whip:
you know you're hair loves 'em!:yep:
I just heard it doesn't smell as nice. :drunk: Don't want you to have stanky oils :lachen: Yeah man, I check my bottle and my jar (in fridge) for mold. none still.

I'm gonna go get my bottle now and do a scalp massage. It's really been too long.

Oh, I use EVCO, Jojoba and castor in my infusion. It still don't smell that good either lol.

grow

I just heard it doesn't smell as nice. :drunk: Don't want you to have stanky oils :lachen: Yeah man, I check my bottle and my jar (in fridge) for mold. none still.

I'm gonna go get my bottle now and do a scalp massage. It's really been too long.

Oh, I use EVCO, Jojoba and castor in my infusion. It still don't smell that good either lol.

thanks for watching out for the stank with my oils! :lachen:

did i hear you say scalp massage? YAH!:grin: BRAVA!

one day, i'd like to try an infusion with the oils you use (stank or not, lol) because i know they're good, but since i have to send away to order the evco and jbco, i've only used them straight on my hair and scalp so far.

there's always a bit of residual oil that has the grains from the products infused and i don't use that part. those "send away" oils are too hard to come by to let even drop go to waste.

Nasdaq_Diva

^^^i hear you. What are your measurements when you usually do your infusions? My first I was using tablespoons of powder. Dunno how neccessay/unnecessary that was. I may make a new infusion today of maka/brahmi with like 90%evco. I'm running low on castor and I need what's left to do my OCM

Oh yeah, I guess it's been far to long not doing my scalp massages. I went for almost 10min, was massaging and scritching and didn't get a single scalp tingle. That was a first. I'm gonna do another massage shortly. Hopefully I can makeup for lost time

grow

^^^i hear you. What are your measurements when you usually do your infusions? My first I was using tablespoons of powder. Dunno how neccessay/unnecessary that was. I may make a new infusion today of maka/brahmi with like 90%evco. I'm running low on castor and I need what's left to do my OCM

Oh yeah, I guess it's been far to long not doing my scalp massages. I went for almost 10min, was massaging and scritching and didn't get a single scalp tingle. That was a first. I'm gonna do another massage shortly. Hopefully I can makeup for lost time

actually hun, i havn't been really measuring my mixes.
what i do is fill a jar i'm going to use for the infusion until it is 1/4 to 1/2 full of the powder or herb i plan to use.
then i fill the rest up until about 3 centimeters from the top with the oil i plan to infuse it into. that way, i feel like they are strong, but not too much. i never use the residue at the bottom, but the oil on top becomes visibly "infused".

that maka/brahmi infusion sounds yummy! :lick:
i have a brahmi infusion i made earlier this month and it is really dark, which i adore. it makes me think that maybe alot of commercial brands wean their brahmi oils out alot, because those are almost transparent and the only way my brahmi could get that clear is if i added tons of oil. i.e. small amount of brahmi.
however, the dried herbs don't change the oil color as much. only the powders.

what's OCM? i am soooooo glad you are back to doing your scalp massages!!!:grin: that good ol' tingle will be coming right back soon!!!:yep:

grow

i'm still in the "waiting period" post perm, but i cannot wait to get back to my ayurvedic pastes!

are you ladies still using your ayurveda?

grow

gosh, i hope i'm not the only one still loving ayurveda!

well, since i still cannot use the pastes yet, i DID, however, make a fenugreek tea yesterday!

i boiled the seeds for a bit then let it cool.

i believe that tea helped my growth alot, especially during the winter months.

tonight i plan to put the moistened seeds in my soup! yum!