6 Month Ayurveda Challenge

Please set up a newbie challenge! I really wanted in on this one, but I didn't "join" the site until recently. I think I'm going to commit to Ayurveda for life as well, I love the effects so far. I have been using them for a year, but I've only been using them consistently for about 4 months. Grow hair grow!

flowinlocks

I haven't done a treatment with the powders mixed in the cond. in ages. Sooo I'm sitting here with a mixture of Brahmi, Bhringraj, Vo5, and AM.

kasey

Yesterday I did my Veda treatment at the gym again. Yep...Only I tried something new.
Earlier in the week I had some breakage--maybe three dozen bits of hair that broke off at the ends. I decided to try the garlic method. Before going to the gym I mixed up a garlic/ginger paste with my homemade curry leaf oil. I applied it to my hair and scalp, covered with a plastic cap and a scarf, and a baseball cap and headed for the gym. I could smell it faintly during my spinning class but no one seemed to look my way. My bike was directly under the fan so that help dissipate the scent. LOL.

I went to my second class then rinsed out in the shower, put on some ORS Mayo mixed with a bit of raw egg concentrating on the ends, hung out in the sauna for 15 and then rinsed. Unfortunately, I forgot to bring a leave-in. I braided my hair without product and headed home to finish up so I could make it to a holiday brunch.

All in all it worked out okay. My gym's bathroom is very homey. I didn't monitor the hair breakage as closely as when I'm in my own bathroom, but appeared to be very little. I may do a moisturizing DC on dry hair at home this evening.

flowinlocks

FlowinLocks was it as messy as you remember:grin:

You know it's funny, but I never had a problem with messiness. My mixtures were always thick like mud. The reason I stopped with them is because I love :love: the double tea rinse so much I have no reason to turn back.

flowinlocks

Today I prepooed with Amla and Shikakai oil , then cowashed with Vo5. I will airdry and seal with Hairveda Shikakai oil and Afroveda's Shikakai growth elixir.

Amari

You know it's funny, but I never had a problem with messiness. My mixtures were always thick like mud. The reason I stopped with them is because I love :love: the double tea rinse so much I have no reason to turn back.

Can you share your double tea rinse?

Galadriel

I really got into my Ayurveda today! I made a whipped ayurvedic cream with:

-shea butter
-aloe butter
-organic virgin coconut cream
-kola gotu powder
-amla powder
-marshmallow root powder
-organic hempseed oil
-vitamin E (T-50) and Grapefruit Extract (to keep the oils from oxidizing and to act as preservatives)
-raw honey
-grapefruit essential oil
-flavor oil for scent

I'm going to do an overnight baggy with it and rinse in the morning. Will report my results!

ETA: I rinsed this morning and my hair felt so thick and sleek! It was soft and glossy, like the way your hair would feel after deep conditioning with EVOO. I like it! I think I was a bit heavy-handed with it, but I will definitely keep this as a pre-shampoo treatment.

Last edited:

Galadriel

Please set up a newbie challenge! I really wanted in on this one, but I didn't "join" the site until recently. I think I'm going to commit to Ayurveda for life as well, I love the effects so far. I have been using them for a year, but I've only been using them consistently for about 4 months. Grow hair grow!

Welcome! :grin:

Please just jump in and join us! Maybe we can have another 6-month Ayurveda challenge after this one too! I'm so glad I did this b/c it's forcing me not to be lazy with my hair.

Amari

How do you all feel about some of the oils containing mineral oil?I got Dabur Amla, Ancient Shikakai Herbal Oil,and Ancient Jabakusum Herbal Oil. Does anyone use these,if so,for how long?Has the mineral oil affected your hair?

flowinlocks

How do you all feel about some of the oils containing mineral oil?I got Dabur Amla, Ancient Shikakai Herbal Oil,and Ancient Jabakusum Herbal Oil. Does anyone use these,if so,for how long?Has the mineral oil affected your hair?

I don't have a problem with mineral oil. I use both the Dabur Amla oil and the Hesh Shikakai oil. I massage my scalp with the Shikakai oil every morning. I do this even if I don't use my Hairveda or Afroveda oils. For some reason I feel like this oil (along with my double tea rinsing) has help contribute to my growth.

I also use the Dabur Amla and the Hesh Shikakai to prepoo with before cowashing the next day, using the Shikakai bar, or tea rinsing. I love using these oils this way because I like to save my more expensive oils for leave ins. I was just speaking on the reviews of the Shikakai oil on Amazon, this what made me try it. HTH

ETA: I have been using these oils for over a year.

Amari

I don't have a problem with mineral oil. I use both the Dabur Amla oil and the Hesh Shikakai oil. I massage my scalp with the Shikakai oil every morning. I do this even if I don't use my Hairveda or Afroveda oils. For some reason I feel like this oil (along with my double tea rinsing) has help contribute to my growth.

I also use the Dabur Amla and the Hesh Shikakai to prepoo with before cowashing the next day, using the Shikakai bar, or tea rinsing. I love using these oils this way because I like to save my more expensive oils for leave ins. I was just speaking on the reviews of the Shikakai oil on Amazon, this what made me try it. HTH

ETA: I have been using these oils for over a year.

Thanks so much for answering my questions!(And the one about your double rinse) I really want to try the Shikakai bar, but Chagrin Valley has me put off on all poo bars. Its like they stripped my hair.:nono:

flowinlocks

Thanks so much for answering my questions!(And the one about your double rinse) I really want to try the Shikakai bar, but Chagrin Valley has me put off on all poo bars. Its like they stripped my hair.:nono:

Yeah I'm not a fan of the few bar I did try from them. I had the herb garden. Which I now use for my face. The Nettle bar and the new Ayurvedic bar. They didn't strip my hair, but they didn't do much for ut either. Did you oily your hair first? Be sure to do this when using these bars. I actually discovered that I like the traditional Ayurvedic poo bars better, plus they are much cheaper. I use the Swastik Shikakai bar and the Godrej Shikaki bar. The second one is infused with Amla and Bhringraj.

These bars leave a slight coated waxy feeling on the hair. Do not be alarmed by this, it goes away after you dc. My hair feels buttery soft after I poo with them and cond. with AM after. The Swastik bar leaves my hair feeling so strong the strands feel like rope.:drunk:

Ronnieaj

I also don't have a problem with the mineral oil. For me, mineral oil is a problem for leave-in items, but the above products you mention I use to oil my scalp before a rinse, paste, or shampooing, so it's not left in. For leave ins, I either an oil without the mineral oil, or one of Afroveda's.

Amari

Yeah I'm not a fan of the few bar I did try from them. I had the herb garden. Which I now use for my face. The Nettle bar and the new Ayurvedic bar. They didn't strip my hair, but they didn't do much for ut either. Did you oily your hair first? Be sure to do this when using these bars. I actually discovered that I like the traditional Ayurvedic poo bars better, plus they are much cheaper. I use the Swastik Shikakai bar and the Godrej Shikaki bar. The second one is infused with Amla and Bhringraj.

These bars leave a slight coated waxy feeling on the hair. Do not be alarmed by this, it goes away after you dc. My hair feels buttery soft after I poo with them and cond. with AM after. The Swastik bar leaves my hair feeling so strong the strands feel like rope.:drunk:

I have tried everything to make these bars work.I want to get rid of them all.They were horrible and the body ones were just ok for me...I have nothing to lose by trying the Godrej.No more buying home made bars for me though!!!