4 Month Ayurveda "Newbie" Challenge 2010

flowinlocks

I know I'm not in the challenge, just lurking.:peek:. I have used my Ayurveda powders 3 days after relaxing with no problems. Since you just relaxed I would start with the moisturizing/cond. herbs first.:yep: HTH

Eritreladiee

I've been using oils, but I'd really like to start using my powders. Can someone help me?

Here's a list of ingredients I have: brahmi, amla, neem and shikakai powder. I have vatika coconut, shikakai, mahabhringraj, parachute coconut, amla, castor and olive oil.

And I'd like to make a good moisturizing mixture for my ends to combat splits and parchiness. The only powder I've used so far is the brahmi and i've been heating it with coconut/olive oil. I let it cool, sieve, then apply to my ends. It's alright, but I feel it could be better. Does anyone have any good moisturizing or scalp recipes they can post?

Momesque

Checking in...I just massaged shikakai oil into my scalp and put amla oil all over my hair as a quick pre-poo. I then mixed shikakai powder and amla powder into a "tea", added a bit of cold water, and rinsed my hair with it. After about 1 minute, I rinsed the "tea" out. I'm wondering how people leave it in there longer because it's so messy and starts draining and burns like hell if it gets in your eyes. Next, I'll be deep conditioning for 30 min. under a dryer with a moisturizing conditioner.

I have a question about when to shampoo during this challenge. I plan to do my oil & tea rinses twice per week so I was wondering when if at all I should shampoo. Is it even necessary to shampoo while doing the rinses? Also, is there a build up caused by the Ayurveda rinses? :ohwell:

Thanks.

ladybugpurple

I want to join in. I am 4 weeks post relaxing, and not planning to relax again until March. Is there a routine that incorporates ayurveda and self-relaxing?

Kellum

I've been using oils, but I'd really like to start using my powders. Can someone help me?

Here's a list of ingredients I have: brahmi, amla, neem and shikakai powder. I have vatika coconut, shikakai, mahabhringraj, parachute coconut, amla, castor and olive oil.

And I'd like to make a good moisturizing mixture for my ends to combat splits and parchiness. The only powder I've used so far is the brahmi and i've been heating it with coconut/olive oil. I let it cool, sieve, then apply to my ends. It's alright, but I feel it could be better. Does anyone have any good moisturizing or scalp recipes they can post?

Alma and Brahmi are moisturizing. You could either make a pate and adding more of those two powders. Be careful with the Shikakai. It is a cleansing powder and can be drying. Just use a little. If you use it; be sure to use more of the moisturizing ones.

I personally love adding Fenugreek and Hibiscus to my mixes. They are very moisturizing. The only thing is Hibiscus can tint your hair a wine color.

Checking in...I just massaged shikakai oil into my scalp and put amla oil all over my hair as a quick pre-poo. I then mixed shikakai powder and amla powder into a "tea", added a bit of cold water, and rinsed my hair with it. After about 1 minute, I rinsed the "tea" out. I'm wondering how people leave it in there longer because it's so messy and starts draining and burns like hell if it gets in your eyes. Next, I'll be deep conditioning for 30 min. under a dryer with a moisturizing conditioner.

Hold your head back and pour the tea on your head then put on a plastic cap. Thats what I do. Then you will be able to leave it on longer. You still will have to drape a towel around you to control the dripping.

I have a question about when to shampoo during this challenge. I plan to do my oil & tea rinses twice per week so I was wondering when if at all I should shampoo. Is it even necessary to shampoo while doing the rinses? Also, is there a build up caused by the Ayurveda rinses? :ohwell:

Thanks.

I use shampoo sparingly which is like once a month at most when I chelate or before a henna or Emergencee treatment. I also watch my cone usage. I don't have a problem with build up at all. Build up will most likely occur from the products that you use on your hair.

Monitor your hair and see how it is doing. If you use a lot of products with cones then you may need to shampoo more often say every two weeks.

qbfaith

Hi,

Have been lurking for a while and this challenge sounds perfect. I'm now on my first week of Ayurvedic products. Powders: Brahmi, Amla, Tulsi, Aritha, Shikakai, Fenugreek... having the darndest time picking up Maka and Hibiscus from my local Indian markets. They're always out. Go figure :ohwell:

Oils: I have Vatika Coconut and Amla oils. Is the Shikakai oil good to have on hand. Since reading the hundreds of pages on this site, I've broken my budget and become pretty obsessed with committing to the health and growth of my hair. Everyone's success stories and journeys are incredible, motivational, and inspirational. :clapping:

So far, so good. Hair feels a bit stronger. I henna'd for the first time and am in love! :love:

I really like the idea of the spritzes since I went and ordered a whole bunch of stuff from lotioncrafters that I've added to everything I own without knowing much about them :drunk::spinning:

Thanks for turning me into a product/ingredient junkie.... but more importantly, thank you for helping me be the primary assist in my healthy, long hair care journey. Feel ashamed to now be taking charge of this at this late juncture in my life, but better late than never, eh? :yep:

Currently splintered (uneven layers) of neck length hair.

Last edited:

sleek

Hi not in this challenge but new ayurvedic user, my question is I would like to clarify next week would it be ok to do an oil tea rinse after that? If so how long should I prepoo? I usually prepoo the night before and what powders should I use that day or does it matter? does anyone still do protein treatments with their ayurvedic regime?

classychic1908

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by classychic1908
I just bought some amla and brahmi powders today and I have made my first tea spritz of rosemary and peppermint. I think I will use the spritz 3 days a week. And alternate weekly between using my powders and regular moisturizing dc. How does that sound?

How did you mix this up?

I made a tea from dried rosemary leaves and a pure peppermint tea bag. I just put them in a pot and let it steep for like an hour until it was very dark. I sprayed the tea, concentrating on my scalp, and I plan to do that 3 days a week.

I have yet to use my powders, but I plan to make a paste with coconut oil and amla first. When I get a chance I'm going to get some fenugreek.

flowinlocks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by classychic1908
I just bought some amla and brahmi powders today and I have made my first tea spritz of rosemary and peppermint. I think I will use the spritz 3 days a week. And alternate weekly between using my powders and regular moisturizing dc. How does that sound?

How did you mix this up?

I made a tea from dried rosemary leaves and a pure peppermint tea bag. I just put them in a pot and let it steep for like an hour until it was very dark. I sprayed the tea, concentrating on my scalp, and I plan to do that 3 days a week.

I have yet to use my powders, but I plan to make a paste with coconut oil and amla first. When I get a chance I'm going to get some fenugreek.

Please be careful with mixing the powders with oil. It was kinda hard to rinse out when I tried this. Also I noticed in your other post you wanted to leave the powder in for 45mins? like the box stated. For the record I wouldn't follow the instruction on any on the Ayurverda boxes. I think they are geared to Indian hair, and can be to harsh for ours. Why not try mixing the powders with a cheapie cond?

757diva

Let me ask a quick question....I ordered some amla powder but I'm in micros now :( Anyone have a way I can just use this on the scalp or as a spray? I wash once a week.

classychic1908

Please be careful with mixing the powders with oil. It was kinda hard to rinse out when I tried this. Also I noticed in your other post you wanted to leave the powder in for 45mins? like the box stated. For the record I wouldn't follow the instruction on any on the Ayurverda boxes. I think they are geared to Indian hair, and can be to harsh for ours. Why not try mixing the powders with a cheapie cond?

Thanks for the tip! How much powder to conditioner should I use and how long should I leave it on? Should I do this with heat or not? Do I have to shampoo it out and condition my hair again? or can it be cowashed out? Sorry, I have so many questions.... I really want to reap the benefits of ayurveda.

TIA

Kellum

Thanks for the tip! How much powder to conditioner should I use and how long should I leave it on? Should I do this with heat or not? Do I have to shampoo it out and condition my hair again? or can it be cowashed out? Sorry, I have so many questions.... I really want to reap the benefits of ayurveda.

TIA

I don't know the powder to conditioner ratio since I don't use mine this way. When I first started out I left my mix on my head for about 15 minutes with a plastic cap just to see how my hair liked it. Then I started leaving it on my hair longer. Now I leave it on 30 minutes minimum up to an hour if I am really busy. I have not had any adverse effects to my hair at all.

You may want to try leaving it on your hair for maybe 5 to 10 minutes and see how your hair responds to be on the safe side. I wouldn't use shampoo, you can just cowash it out of your hair and the deep condition your hair after wards.

Let me ask a quick question....I ordered some amla powder but I'm in micros now :( Anyone have a way I can just use this on the scalp or as a spray? I wash once a week.

You can make a tea and strain the granules from it and pour it into a spray bottle and spritz your braids and scalp a few times a week. I have done this before with good results and I'm doing it again since I am in braids again.

Here a blog post about how to make the tea spritz.
http://kellumskorner.blogspot.com/2009/10/how-i-make-my-ayurveda-tea-spritzes.html

Last edited:

flowinlocks

TIA

I usually mix about a teaspoon of what ever powder in a cheapie cond. Like Suave Humectant. For moisturizing I would mix a spoon of each: Brahmi and Bhringraj. And since Amla is acidic, I would mix half a spoon of it. Depending on how long your hair is, you could do a tablespoon of the first 2 and a teaspoon of the Amla. I have the best consistency when I put the powders in a bowl first, then slowly add cond. till it turns to thick paste. Beware this mixture grows rapidly. I usually let it sit for at least an hour. You can use heat with a cap if you wish. You don't have to shampoo it out, cowashing is fine. Just make sure you get ALL the powder out and do the treatment on preoiled hair. As far as the Shikakai I personally prefer to use it at a tea, just because I have better results with rinsing, and any left behind grit could cause breakage. Have you read the Ayurveda support thread?

MsSonya

Wow, I am glad I saw this thread in time. I have been wanting to get serious about this for sometime now. I only (brave enough) have Vatika oil and henna, I oil everyday, and I will henna today. :) I will place another order with henna sooq. Last time it took about 3 wks for my order. Oh, I would like to join. :)

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
I think the nxt time I henna I am going to indigo since I loves me some blk hair, but I have been slowly falling in LIKE with my reddish color...... My head is spinning.

MsSonya

I cant sign into hennasooq what's up? :wallbash: Now I have to find another place. Just checking in. I have henna on my hair now. Will keep it on for about 6 hrs.

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
Umm I was trying to see when I could work in my tea rinses, considering that I do the CWC technique? My rinse is just Amla and Brahmi.....

I DC on dry hair, wash with poo, then use a cheap con to soften up again.

4HisGlory

Coming out of lurkdom to post. Sign me up for this challenge. I need to do something about this itchy scalp. One question: Can you apply ayurveda powders while in twists? Will it wash out?

Now off to read the other ayurveda threads . . .

Last edited:

MsSonya

When I rinsed my henna last nite, hair felt strong. decided to deep condish overnite with Miss Keys. Will oil with vatika later today.