6 Month Ayurveda Challenge

Cassandra1975

Count me in - I am loving Ayurveda! This will be my first official LHCF challenge. Products in my stash:

Powders:
Maka
Brahmi
SHikakai
Kalpi Tone
Hibiscus flower
Amla
Karishma Henna

Oils:
Vatika
HairVeda Vatika Frosting
HairVeda Cocasta Shikakai
Brahmi Amla
Bringraj
Maha Brhingol
Coconut Oil

Shampoo/conditioners:
Swastik Shikakai bar
HairVeda Amala Shampoo (contains shikakai oil)
HairVeda Moist Condition 24/7 (contains coconut oil)

I'll have to get back to you with the actual regimen...but I know I will henna 1 - 2x per month 'cause I am loving that my grays are covered. :yep:

MissMusic

Awh man!!!!!! I was all set to join the challenge this time, I followed the last one, but after I looked at the rules I see I won't qualify, I use the oils, shampoo bar, and I finish my wash with a nettle tea rinse, I don't' do well with the powders so I stay away from them.

Well good luck ladies, I'm subscribing to the thread so that I can follow all of your progress. So I'll be there with you all in spirit.

Go Girls!! Woot Woot! :)

I count the bar because it has several powders in it. So, if you want to you can join.

Last edited:

hurricane

Ohhh, me, me, me.....:lachen:

August will be my 1 year anniversary of ayurveda. I'm striving for MBL by the end of this year. Can I join, too.

Powders:

Shikaki
Amla
Brahmi
Aritha
Methi
Henna

Oils:

brahmi
coconut

Will post regi later.

beauti

Hi! i'd like to join this challenge. I've been on the ayurvedic wagon for a while now anyway. I mostly use Candy C's method twice a week. Here's my regimen:

*oil hair with Keo Karpin hair oil, Dabur Vatika Olive hair oil, and Amla oil
* The next day I use a mixture of three powders. I have the following powders: Amla, Brahmi, Maka, Aritha, Mehandi, Neem, Tulsi, and Shikakai. Right now I'm using Amla, Brahmi, and Maka (or Mehandi instead).

Once I follow Candy C's method of rinsing then applying conditioner, etc., I apply Vatika coconut oil throughout my wet hair and air dry in a ponytail.

My avi is my current length.

hurricane

Hi! i'd like to join this challenge. I've been on the ayurvedic wagon for a while now anyway. I mostly use Candy C's method twice a week. Here's my regimen:

*oil hair with Keo Karpin hair oil, Dabur Vatika Olive hair oil, and Amla oil
* The next day I use a mixture of three powders. I have the following powders: Amla, Brahmi, Maka, Aritha, Mehandi, Neem, Tulsi, and Shikakai. Right now I'm using Amla, Brahmi, and Maka (or Mehandi instead).

Once I follow Candy C's method of rinsing then applying conditioner, etc., I apply Vatika coconut oil throughout my wet hair and air dry in a ponytail.

My avi is my current length.

I have been using Candy C's method too and will continue.

tori_mama

Im in!
Powders: Shikaki and Amla
Oils: Vatika and coconut oil
I am also stretching my relaxers and doing a personal no heat challenge. This is gonna be good!

Zsugar

I'm in!

I have totally fallen in love with the powders.Have been using for about a month already.Next texlax in December.
Had to figure out how to use them as a tea with my braids....

I take a large glass measuring cup(the one that is safe for baking)
Put one coffee filter inside.
Spoon in a few teaspoons of whatever powder.
Boil my water and pour on top.
Pour slow to make sure the filter doesn't collapse on itself.
Stir slightly and let it sit to cool a little.
Once warm or cool, slowly lift out the filter and gather the filter edges together, forming a little pouch.
After the tea has dripped out, squeeze the last water out of the filter.(it will be soggy and full of the powders,like a wet tea bag.
Throw the filter away and all you have left is tea.
I pour the tea in one of those plastic bottles and squeeze all over my braids, then rinse.

Hope this helps someone.

simcha

I'm in!

I have totally fallen in love with the powders.Have been using for about a month already.Next texlax in December.
Had to figure out how to use them as a tea with my braids....

I take a large glass measuring cup(the one that is safe for baking)
Put one coffee filter inside.
Spoon in a few teaspoons of whatever powder.
Boil my water and pour on top.
Pour slow to make sure the filter doesn't collapse on itself.
Stir slightly and let it sit to cool a little.
Once warm or cool, slowly lift out the filter and gather the filter edges together, forming a little pouch.
After the tea has dripped out, squeeze the last water out of the filter.(it will be soggy and full of the powders,like a wet tea bag.
Throw the filter away and all you have left is tea.
I pour the tea in one of those plastic bottles and squeeze all over my braids, then rinse.

Hope this helps someone.

Great idea - the coffee filters! I'll have to try that.

flowinlocks

Yesterday I did a tea rinse with Fenugreek, Amla, Brahmi, Bhringraj and Nettle. Then I dced with AM, TJ Nourish spa & Bhringraj. I sealed with Hairveda Shikakai & Gro Aut.
Today I pooed with my Skikakai bar, cond. with AM, and sealed with Navratna oil (forgot to add this one to the list), plus it stinks so I'm trying to use it up. I'll be cowashing it out tomorrow with Suave Humectant.

Galadriel

I'm in!

I plan to use:

- vatika oil
- Henna (w/ amla and other Ayurvedic goodies)
- tea rinses

I will co-wash 3-4x per week using condish infused w/ a mix of Ayurvedic herbs
I will wash 1x per week w/ my amla shampoo
I will Henna probably 1-2x per month
I will use my vatika oil for moisturizing and sealing.

No heat will be a breeze! Thank goodness for the two passes though.

joib

l would like to join again. Now that I fixed the computer I can check-in daily. I plan to touch-up in a week and back to my Ayurveda.

Powders:
Amla
Brahmi
Maka
Hibiscus (Looking for this)
Shikaiki

Oils:
Amla
Shikaiki
Coconut oil

I plan to add tea rinses to my regi.

Last edited:

25Nona

I count the bar because it has several powders in them. So, if you want to you can join.

Woot Woo I'm in!!!! I'm in Yessssssssss!

Thanks MCrzy!

I'll post my starting pic and steps to my regi tomorrow, the items I use are listed in my siggy

Last edited:

Kellum

Count me in. I've been using Ayurveda as apart of my regimen since around late December. Here's my regimen.

Powders:
Amla, Hibiscus, Shikakai, Fenugreek, Maka, Brahmi,
Oils: Vatika, Coconut

My regimen:
Once a week:
Oil hair and scritch scalp with EVCO and Vatika oil

Make mixture of : tsp:Shakakai, Fenugreek, Maka, Brahmi, 2 tsp: Amla, Hibscus

Mix it with hot water, let it sit for about 15 mins and then add cold water. I don't remove the granules.

Rinse my hair for a few mins in the shower and the pour it all of my head. Put on a plastic cap and let it set for 30 mins to an hour.

Rinse and co-wash hair.

DC, apply leave ins spray hair with my tea of: Amla, Hibiscus, Fenugreek, Brahmi. Seal with EVCO and Castor Oil.

Daily: spray hair/braids with tea and seal.

That's it for me. My hair is doing well. Ayurveda will be apart of my regimen for a long time.

ETA: I can't post a current pic of my hair since I'm in the Hide Your Hair Challenge. I'll post my pic when it ends in Dec. I hope this is okay. My current length is APL. Hopefully I will be BSL almost MBL by Dec.

Last edited:

Aspire

I am so in. Starting pic in siggy

I will be using the following powders:
Amla
Kalpi Tone
Brahmi
Maka
Cassia
Henna

The following oils:
Amla
Shikakai
Mjbharhajani (sp)

Shikakai or Amla bar if I find them

Since I am getting braids tomorrow, I will also be using a tea spritz with Amla, Kalpi Tone, cassia and/or maka.

Not sure of regi yet since I am getting the braids. Will post later this weekend.

Last edited:

swalker31

Has anyone ever heard if you use to many powders it cancel out the effect of another powder? I don't remember where I read it but I wanted to know if its true? Thanks

flowinlocks

Has anyone ever heard if you use to many powders it cancel out the effect of another powder? I don't remember where I read it but I wanted to know if its true? Thanks

I think I read it somewhere also. I think the key is finding a balance & knowing what the powders do. The more cleansing powders like Shikakai, Neem, Aritha can be drying and are usually cut with Amla. or one of the more cond. herbs, but not so much that it takes away the cleaning process. On the flip side Brahmi, Bhringraj, Fenugreek, Hibiscus leave the hair soft, moist & strengthened so IMO I would use these without the cleansing powders to cond.

Cassandra1975

l would like to join again. Now that I fixed the computer I can check-in daily. I plan to touch-up in a week and back to my Ayurveda.

Powders:
Amla
Brahmi
Maka
Hibiscus (Looking for this)
Shikaiki

Oils:
Amla
Shikaiki
Coconut oil

I plan to add tea rinses to my regi.
I got my hibiscus from Ruchita Ayurveda...haven't used it yet, though.

MissMusic

For all of the ladies using teas, I find it easiest to put the powders in a tea bag, so straining is unnecessary. When I first tried that method I just opened one of my lipton tea bags with a staple on it, emptied the contents, refilled and re-stapled. Now that I know it works I bought 50 iron seal able tea bags from From Nature with love: http://www.fromnaturewithlove.com/product.asp?product_id=teabagsm&searchflag=1 for $4. Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Shay72

Natural, 4A
For all of the ladies using teas, I find it easiest to put the powders in a tea bag, so straining is unnecessary. When I first tried that method I just opened on of my lipton tea bags with a staple on it, emptied the contents, refilled and re-stapled. Now that I know it works I bought 50 iron seal able tea bags from From Nature with love: http://www.fromnaturewithlove.com/product.asp?product_id=teabagsm&searchflag=1 for $4. Hope this helps!

I LOVE these! I bought 100 :look:! It helps for lazy people like me. I bought some mason jars and plan to put some up in the window like sun tea. I believe Aggie said when you make it in bulk like that it is usually good for about 3 weeks in your fridge.

beans4reezy

I really, REALLY, REALLY, want to try this challenge, but I read the "get started" threads and the tea rinses, powders, and oils are making my head spin.

MissMusic

I really, REALLY, REALLY, want to try this challenge, but I read the "get started" threads and the tea rinses, powders, and oils are making my head spin.

lol, it can be quite confusing. Try starting with two oils and maybe a shampoo bar or two oils and a tea. Candyc has good instructions with pictures on creating a tea in her fotki.

beans4reezy

You can count me in...I will be taking it really slow though. I have an Indian Market right next to my job, I will stop there today for a shampoo bar, tea, and an oil.

SilverSurfer

Please add me to the list.

I will be using Shikakai, aritha and alma powder as a paste every other week. Once I buy the tea bags and make them into a tea then I will use once or twice every week

I will use the Shikakai soap bar once every other week (one week paste/other week soap bar)

I will use Alma and Brahmi oil mixed into my Gro Aut conditioner to condition my hair once or twice weekly. Wash out and reapply conditioner alone as leave in

I will use Vatika oil to seal and moisturize my hair

( I plan to keep my hair out in a twa, twists, twist outs or maybe extension braids throughout)

Last edited:

swalker31

I've never used the shampoo bars, do you just lather them up in your hand first and apply the suds to your head?

hurricane

Please add me to the list.

I will be using Shikakai, aritha and alma powder as a paste every other week. Once I buy the tea bags and make them into a tea then I will use once or twice every week

I will use the Shikakai soap bar once every other week (one week paste/other week soap bar)

I will use Alma and Brahmi oil mixed into my Gro Aut conditioner to condition my hair once or twice weekly. Wash out and reapply conditioner alone as leave in

I will use Vatika oil to seal and moisturize my hair

( I plan to keep my hair out in a twa, twists, twist outs or maybe
extension braids throughout)

The recommended formula would be:
Shikaki, amla, brahmi ( or another moisturizing powder )
OR
Aritha, amla, brahmi ( or another moisturizing powder )

Both the shikaki and aritha together would be too drying