Fall/Winter Wash n go challenge

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I did a wash n go with cream of nature Argan Oil products. The twirling custard did nothing for my hair, but the pudding clumped my curls so well. I paired the pudding with clear Eco Styler because the pudding wasn't enough on its own. The cream of nature smell gave me a headache at first, but it is dissipating.

I don't know what I did with the other pictures. All I have left is pic collage of first day hair. The side with the one long Curl is just pudding and Eco. The other side has custard, pudding and Eco.

Your skin!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gooooooooooooorgeous!

What is your skincare regimen?

YvetteWithJoy

On break
The look really nice. I'd just have to muster up the energy/enthusiasm to spend a few hours on my hair. Maybe I could do them while watching TV.

ETA: Wooooo! Ignore the below, I guess, based on this thread: https://longhaircareforum.com/threads/my-spiral-rod-nightmare-long.22855/#post-346903

-------------------------

I was able to achieve the finger coil look on a patch of hair in the following (shortcut???) way:

Take a small section of barely damp hair.

Apply setting lotion/foam/styler.

Twist section into a rope, as if you are going to make a Bantu knot but are leaving the rope un-knotted.

Take the hair rope and wrap it around a spiral rod.

Air dry or dry under a hooded or bonnet dryer.

This might constitute even MORE work, I dunno! :lol:

But I was PLEASANTLY surprised by the shiny fingercoil-looking result that fell into a pretty curl as the days went on.

Last edited:

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
ETA: Wooooo! Ignore the below, I guess, based on this thread: https://longhaircareforum.com/threads/my-spiral-rod-nightmare-long.22855/#post-346903

-------------------------

I was able to achieve the finger coil look on a patch of hair in the following (shortcut???) way:

Take a small section of barely damp hair.

Apply setting lotion/foam/styler.

Twist section into a rope, as if you are going to make a Bantu knot but are leaving the rope un-knotted.

Take the hair rope and wrap it around a spiral rod.

Air dry or dry under a hooded or bonnet dryer.

This might constitute even MORE work, I dunno! :lol:

But I was PLEASANTLY surprised by the shiny fingercoil-looking result that fell into a pretty curl as the days went on.
Yeah that sounds like too much work. Finger coils are super easy. They just take time to put in.

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
Your skin!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gooooooooooooorgeous!

What is your skincare regimen?
Thanks! I hate to say I don't have a face regimen, but I really don't. I'm terrible at remembering to use facial cleaners, so I just scrub my face really well with a wash cloth every few days in the morning. I like to tell myself it counts as "exfoliating." I also slather on a really good cream or butter on my face first thing in the morning and at night before I go to sleep to keep my skin soft and moisturized. The Body Shop butters are my current favorites.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
so i tried camille rose curl love and curl maker. its the first time im using a non heavy gel to style my hair. i decided to try it because i think the wet line is too heavy for my fine and low density hair. it has been giving me ramen noodle hair recently. Here are my 90% dry results:

so far i like the combo. my hair smells good and is very touchable. i just wish it had more hold. i purchased the camille rose lavender products as well to compare. review on that coming soon

YvetteWithJoy

On break
so i tried camille rose curl love and curl maker. its the first time im using a non heavy gel to style my hair. i decided to try it because i think the wet line is too heavy for my fine and low density hair. it has been giving me ramen noodle hair recently. Here are my 90% dry results:

so far i like the combo. my hair smells good and is very touchable. i just wish it had more hold. i purchased the camille rose lavender products as well to compare. review on that coming soon

I felt exactly the same way about the Curl Maker. Awesome moisture, shine, and smell. However, I recently applied it to almost-dry hair (instead of soaking wet hair), and wow: I got hold . . . and even more shine than usual.

SheenaVee

I have the Camille Rose Curlmaker but I haven't tried it yet. Might try it over the weekend.

I also have fine, low density hair but I find that the heavy gels make my hair clump a lot. It's the light ones and curl creams that give me ramen noodles.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I have the Camille Rose Curlmaker but I haven't tried it yet. Might try it over the weekend.

I also have fine, low density hair but I find that the heavy gels make my hair clump a lot. It's the light ones and curl creams that give me ramen noodles.

I decided to try out this phenomenon and put the thicker mirta de perales gel over the curl maker wash n go and my curls popped way better than the curl maker alone! I still think the wet line is too heavy for my hair but i guess something like the mirta de perales does the trick. plus its pretty cheap compared to curl maker.

Hair is 80%dry

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I was at target and I couldn't resist buying KCNT and KCCC. I've read so many good things about them and they work with MHM. But I am NOT planning on becoming a PJ. Yell at me if I mention buying more stuff.

Affirmation: In my trying-to-move-back-from-the-product-junkie-cliff-edge opinion, that's a good investment when you are in the process of honing the wash-and-go method, IMO. ESPECIALLY if you are doing the MHM, whether full or modified. :smile:

ETA: MahoganyCurls's video on the Kinky Curly products helped me to understand that it takes trial and error with those products, but once you figure out how your hair likes them, they can be fabulous!

GettingKinky

Affirmation: In my trying-to-move-back-from-the-product-junkie-cliff-edge opinion, that's a good investment when you are in the process of honing the wash-and-go method, IMO. ESPECIALLY if you are doing the MHM, whether full or modified. :smile:

ETA: MahoganyCurls's video on the Kinky Curly products helped me to understand that it takes trial and error with those products, but once you figure out how your hair likes them, they can be fabulous!

OMG MahoganyCurls has BEAUTIFUL hair!!!! Her hair looked good even before she added the kinky curly products. I think I really need to focus on getting moisture in my strands. When I get back from vacation I'm going to try MHM.

VictoriousBrownFlower

I was dying to try the curls blueberry bliss control gelly so I bought some. I washed my hair the other day and used my reg leave in, and sealants. I really wasn't sure if it would work on my hair from looking at other naturals with hair similar to mine. I thought it would either come out undefined or I would have to use alot to get the look I was going for but I was so wrong.

I only used maybe 1/6th of the bottle which shocked me because I felt like I used alot. Day one was awesome. It was the first time I actually had a really cute wash and go on day 1.

My hair came out defined to the Gods but fluffy and natural looking. My hair is super moisturized and it only shrunk a little more in the front than it would with eco. Now lets see how long the wash and go lasts. If it lasts 3 or more days I'm sold.

It's very similar to the old kiss my face upper management gel which was my one true love until they changed the formula.

This is day 2 hair.

It's super fluffy so I don't know how long it will last but I'll keep my fingers crossed.DSC03775.JPG DSC03776.JPG

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I was dying to try the curls blueberry bliss control gelly so I bought some. I washed my hair the other day and used my reg leave in, and sealants. I really wasn't sure if it would work on my hair from looking at other naturals with hair similar to mine. I thought it would either come out undefined or I would have to use alot to get the look I was going for but I was so wrong.

I only used maybe 1/6th of the bottle which shocked me because I felt like I used alot. Day one was awesome. It was the first time I actually had a really cute wash and go on day 1.

My hair came out defined to the Gods but fluffy and natural looking. My hair is super moisturized and it only shrunk a little more in the front than it would with eco. Now lets see how long the wash and go lasts. If it lasts 3 or more days I'm sold.

It's very similar to the old kiss my face upper management gel which was my one true love until they changed the formula.

This is day 2 hair.

It's super fluffy so I don't know how long it will last but I'll keep my fingers crossed.View attachment 404621 View attachment 404623

You and your hair! Beautiful!!!

GGsKin

This is day 2 hair.

It's super fluffy so I don't know how long it will last but I'll keep my fingers crossed.View attachment 404621 View attachment 404623
You and your hair! Beautiful!!!

I agree. Beautiful! @BronxJazzy

YvetteWithJoy

On break
You're beautiful: inside and out. Your hair looks great! What do you mean by "does not fall?"

Thanks, true! Same to you!!! :smile:

Well . . . When my hair is soaked with water, I love the way it looks. But it won't dry like that. You'll see threads sometimes or Anthony Dickey YouTube videos on "how to capture your wet hair look." I can't seem to. As my hair dries, it not only shrinks, but it seems to 'fro up and reach for the sky. LOL.

I wasn't expecting that, and I don't like it because it decreases my "length" and I prefer to have my hair hanging down so that it can frame my face. I am working to accept this characteristic of my hair. It is the only thing I don't like about being natural. Everything else . . . curl pattern, coils, the versatility, not feeling compelled to apply something that breaks my hair down every 8-10 weeks, etc. . . . everything else about it I love.

trueheartofgold

Well . . . When my hair is soaked with water, I love the way it looks. But it won't dry like that. You'll see threads sometimes or Anthony Dickey YouTube videos on "how to capture your wet hair look." I can't seem to. As my hair dries, it not only shrinks, but it seems to 'fro up and reach for the sky. LOL.

I wasn't expecting that, and I don't like it because it decreases my "length" and I prefer to have my hair hanging down so that it can frame my face. I am working to accept this characteristic of my hair. It is the only thing I don't like about being natural. Everything else . . . curl pattern, coils, the versatility, not feeling compelled to apply something that breaks my hair down every 8-10 weeks, etc. . . . everything else about it I love.

Does banding help?

pinkchocolatedaisy

I used to be the same way. Now I'm annoyed that it doesn't look as big as I'd like. Lol. Another issue I'm working on is accepting that my hair doesn't have to be perfectly coiffed, super defined. Learning to embrace the shrinkage, frizz, different curl patterns. Also I used to have this weird thing where I felt it wasn't a "real" wng if I had to use pins or clips to have my hair lie or fall a certain way.

We all have our hangups I suppose. But there is some seriously gorgeous hair in this thread!

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Does banding help?

Banding does help! :yep:

Sometimes my banding technique results in hair that is TOO stretched and has lost definition (especially if I didn't apply enough gel or my hair is not dry enough; it takes a long time for my hair to air dry). If tonight's banding works for tomorrow's hair, I'll snap a photo or two and upload!

I think what could help me is the finenaturalhairandfaith.com's lady's twist-out wash-and-go method, where you basically chunky twist your hair after applying twisting cream and gel, let it dry a lot, and then untwist it and let it finishing drying.

I also think it might work to strategically place huge bobby pins on my wet, gelled hair . . . like Naptural85 does to make hers dry less 'fro-y.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I used to be the same way. Now I'm annoyed that it doesn't look as big as I'd like. Lol. Another issue I'm working on is accepting that my hair doesn't have to be perfectly coiffed, super defined. Learning to embrace the shrinkage, frizz, different curl patterns. Also I used to have this weird thing where I felt it wasn't a "real" wng if I had to use pins or clips to have my hair lie or fall a certain way.

We all have our hangups I suppose. But there is some seriously gorgeous hair in this thread!

:smile: Chuckle.

Agreed.

trueheartofgold

Banding does help! :yep:

Sometimes my banding technique results in hair that is TOO stretched and has lost definition (especially if I didn't apply enough gel or my hair is not dry enough; it takes a long time for my hair to air dry). If tonight's banding works for tomorrow's hair, I'll snap a photo or two and upload!

I think what could help me is the finenaturalhairandfaith.com's lady's twist-out wash-and-go method, where you basically chunky twist your hair after applying twisting cream and gel, let it dry a lot, and then untwist it and let it finishing drying.

I also think it might work to strategically place huge bobby pins on my wet, gelled hair . . . like Naptural85 does to make hers dry less 'fro-y.

I'll look out for the pics!