Fall/Winter Wash n go challenge

Alma Petra

Whoa, I use a lot of stuff on wash days!

DevaCurl NoPoo Decadence
DevaCurl One Condition Decadence
DevaCurl Melt into Moisture mask

Kenra Curl leave in
DevaCurl Super Cream
Trader Joe's Organic Argan Oil
The Mane Choice gel

I loved your wash and go!

Which of the products you listed is most responsible for the moisture? And which for the killer definition?

faithVA

Not hijacking the thread, just wanted to update you ladies on the previous conversation.

@Sharpened, @YvetteWithJoy

I tested out the Mane Choice 24K and its a win for me. So here's the backstory.

After my rollerset, I flat twisted with Alikay Naturals Creme Brulee and TGIN gel. I always use the Alikay Naturals for my flat twist outs. It gives me a nice, shiny and smooth twist out but it has very little hold. So I tried using the TGIN gel on top because it is pretty stiff to give it more hold. The first picture is my hair after taking out the twist. I wasn't crazy about the TGIN. My hair seemed dryer than it should be, more frizzy and a little dull. By the time I walked down stairs and ate breakfast my hair was turning into a frizz ball.

So I retwisted it with the Mane Choice 24 Karat but I didn't have enough time to let it completely dry before I had to roll out. I tried drying it with a blow dryer which helped some. Even though my hair wasn't dry, my flat twist out was still sort of cute and my hair looked moisturized and felt really good. That is picture #2. My hair was blowing in the wind which was fun. It was wild looking but not so wild that I couldn't wear it out. Later that day I put it in a puff which still felt soft.

Last night I retwisted again with the Mane Choice 24K and it dried completely overnight I took out the flat twist and I had a nice defined, moisturized, soft twist out. That it picture #3. I wore it all day and kept checking in the mirror to see if it had gone anywhere but it lasted all day.

At 9 pm this evening I took picture #4. My twist out is still holding strong. I couldn't get a 2nd day twist-out because my hair doesn't hold moisture that long. But I could get by with a puff on the 2nd day. I think for a person with normal porosity hair it might hold moisture better.

This is a win for me. Anything that can give me definition all day, make my hair look moisturized and still stay soft wins for me. I don't wear my hair out often so this is enough.

This gel is a bit lighter than the Biotin infusion in the way it feels. Supposedly you can use it for a twist out as well. If I try it for that it probably won't be until next year.

Hope this helps.

PhotoPictureResizer_170930_092039482_crop_538x390.jpg PhotoPictureResizer_170930_135118098_crop_583x583.jpg PhotoPictureResizer_171001_100024843_crop_583x583.jpg 20171001_201753_crop_583x583.jpg

Last edited:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Not hijacking the thread, just wanted to update you ladies on the previous conversation.

@Sharpened, @YvetteWithJoy

I tested out the Mane Choice 24K and its a win for me. So here's the backstory.

After my rollerset, I flat twisted with Alikay Naturals Creme Brulee and TGIN gel. I always use the Alikay Naturals for my flat twist outs. It gives me a nice, shiny and smooth twist out but it has very little hold. So I tried using the TGIN gel on top because it is pretty stiff to give it more hold. The first picture is my hair after taking out the twist. I wasn't crazy about the TGIN. My hair seemed dryer than it should be, more frizzy and a little dull. By the time I walked down stairs and ate breakfast my hair was turning into a frizz ball.

So I retwisted it with the Mane Choice 24 Karat but I didn't have enough time to let it completely dry before I had to roll out. I tried drying it with a blow dryer which helped some. Even though my hair wasn't dry, my flat twist out was still sort of cute and my hair looked moisturized and felt really good. That is picture #2. My hair was blowing in the wind which was fun. It was wild looking but not so wild that I couldn't wear it out. Later that day I put it in a puff which still felt soft.

Last night I retwisted again with the Mane Choice 24K and it dried completely overnight I took out the flat twist and I had a nice defined, moisturized, soft twist out. That it picture #3. I wore it all day and kept checking in the mirror to see if it had gone anywhere but it lasted all day.

At 9 pm this evening I took picture #4. My twist out is still holding strong. I couldn't get a 2nd day twist-out because my hair doesn't hold moisture that long. But I could get by with a puff on the 2nd day. I think for a person with normal porosity hair it might hold moisture better.

This is a win for me. Anything that can give me definition all day, make my hair look moisturized and still stay soft wins for me. I don't wear my hair out often so this is enough.

This gel is a bit lighter than the Biotin infusion in the way it feels. Supposedly you can use it for a twist out as well. If I try it for that it probably won't be until next year.

Hope this helps.

View attachment 412479 View attachment 412481 View attachment 412483 View attachment 412485

Oooo, thanks for the VERY informative review. I love it! Your hair looks very defined and moisturized. :yep:

faithVA

Faith, you really keep me encouraged about my hair via the way you proceed on your hair journey. Thanks for all you do on the forum, and thanks for the positivity you spread via example and your responses.
Aw your welcome. I don't really think I do anything at all.

You have every right to be encouraged about your hair. Your hair is beautiful and growing nicely. It responds well to a lot of things so you just have to keep doing what you are doing.

I'm just over here trying to be patient. Maybe one day I will reach a length goal :lol: I've been here FOREVER :ohwell:

niknakmac

View attachment 412667 View attachment 412669

Today's wash n go. How is everyone battling tangles and ssks before was day? How long you stretch your wash n go?

My hair doesn't seem to tangle with my wash n go but that may be because I have cut my hair. I am working out a lot and I sweat alot in my hair (main reason why I cut) so the max I go is 2 days before I wash n style again. I finger detangle in the shower with conditioner. I rarely use a comb and only pick the roots for volume.

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
View attachment 412667 View attachment 412669

Today's wash n go. How is everyone battling tangles and ssks before was day? How long you stretch your wash n go?
Looks good. I am not really plagued by ssks. Only detangle on wash day in the shower with conditioner wide tooth comb and my fingers. I usually only wash once a week. My was N goes last at least 7 days. I will refresh every 2-3 days in the shower. For refresh I wet my hair in shower in sections I apply conditioner and gel raking and shaking. I preserve at night by wearing my bonnet. I don't pineapple it doesn't work for me.
What products are you using and how are you applying them? You want to make sure you are applying enough product to coat all your strands so that when it dries your curls are not trying to come together and make knots.

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density
Looks good. I am not really plagued by ssks. Only detangle on wash day in the shower with conditioner wide tooth comb and my fingers. I usually only wash once a week. My was N goes last at least 7 days. I will refresh every 2-3 days in the shower. For refresh I wet my hair in shower in sections I apply conditioner and gel raking and shaking. I preserve at night by wearing my bonnet. I don't pineapple it doesn't work for me.
What products are you using and how are you applying them? You want to make sure you are applying enough product to coat all your strands so that when it dries your curls are not trying to come together and make knots.

I use the following (in order of application):
KCNT
True by Made Beautiful Hydrating Butter
Oil concoction
4 Naturals Curly, Wavy Serum

I was reading through the thread and noticed you only use two products. Is the old saying "less is more" better? Am I using too many products?

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
I use the following (in order of application):
KCNT
True by Made Beautiful Hydrating Butter
Oil concoction
4 Naturals Curly, Wavy Serum

I was reading through the thread and noticed you only use two products. Is the old saying "less is more" better? Am I using too many products?
Of the products you listed I'm only familiar with kckt. Are you not using a gel for any particular reason? What was your reasoning for using the combo you used. I'm of the philosophy that less is more. Get yourself a good leave in (kckt is one of my favorites) and a good gel (kccc is a one of my favorites). That's all you really need. A gel would greatly cut down on your ssks. Since it would provide some type of hold. Also when I pick my products I prefer to stick to matching leave in and gel.

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density
Of the products you listed I'm only familiar with kckt. Are you not using a gel for any particular reason? What was your reasoning for using the combo you used. I'm of the philosophy that less is more. Get yourself a good leave in (kckt is one of my favorites) and a good gel (kccc is a one of my favorites). That's all you really need. A gel would greatly cut down on your ssks. Since it would provide some type of hold. Also when I pick my products I prefer to stick to matching leave in and gel.

My goal was to maintain moisture in my hair without CWing multiple times a week. The 4 Naturals Serum is a gel for wavy/curly hair. I think I may have to go back to KCCC to maintain hold and accept the fact that I may have to CW 2x a week.

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
My goal was to maintain moisture in my hair without CWing multiple times a week. The 4 Naturals Serum is a gel for wavy/curly hair. I think I may have to go back to KCCC to maintain hold and accept the fact that I may have to CW 2x a week.
Try the refreshing technique I mentioned upthread.

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
On a quite impulsive whim, I obtained and tried a Cantu gel labeled as a sulptor for beyond mega hold.

My hair is crunchy. It still is fro-like despite my efforts :lachen:, but maybe the crunch means protection against tangling.
I haven't seen that yet. When I first bc'd I used Cantu curl activator and their curling custard I also used their curl cream occasionally. I would get mega snowflakes so I had to stop using it. I'm sure I have some unopened jars in my stash. :lachen:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I haven't seen that yet. When I first bc'd I used Cantu curl activator and their curling custard I also used their curl cream occasionally. I would get mega snowflakes so I had to stop using it. I'm sure I have some unopened jars in my stash. :lachen:

:lol:

It was a sheer fatigue whim buy. Lol. Cantu in general is HORRIBLE on my hair.

Anaisin

I'm going to try this again. I think the issue is I did it at night and slept without a bonnet. My hair is frizzy in lot of parts I smashed by sleeping. The hold isn't strong enough for the overnight wng that I can do with Eco or Wetline. It's really soft though. Imo even curl creams don't make my hair this soft. They either aren't moisturizing enough or just make your hair feel crispy and lack definition

Also it's still summer weather, I think this will be good for when the fall decides to show up and the winter

I believe this wng (pic below) from last week was with SM JBCO styling lotion or Qhemet's Burdock Root Cream & Eco styler argan gel. I really don't remember

111B27A5-2201-44DE-ABA4-0F19462D1C10.jpeg

GGsKin

Fully dry day 2 wng, after refreshing on Sunday night by wetting, smoothing in a little more APB Creamy Hair Pudding (a trim), and diluted KCCC.

Last night before bed, I added a little Jojoba oil on my length and ends, before clipping in a banana clip and tying down with a damp silk scarf.2017-10-10_23.22.51.jpg

niknakmac

I bought some TGIN leave in and the curl bomb gel. I tried it this morning.....total fail. I have some curl definition but a lot of frizz. I am totally not impressed. I bought this stuff at target, can I return it? Someone please say yes...this crap was $30!!!

ETA I just checked. I can return it. I will be returning it today.

LovelyRo

I’m currently air drying my WNG. I’m out of the conditioner I usually use for my wng so I used Auntie Jackie’s Curl La La, coconut oil, and wetline gel.

Attachments

• D7D42628-9BB2-4F19-9973-1A77A61B3633.jpeg
    D7D42628-9BB2-4F19-9973-1A77A61B3633.jpeg
    355.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 0C918316-CE58-4622-A97E-8DC7794A35D8.png
    0C918316-CE58-4622-A97E-8DC7794A35D8.png
    912.8 KB · Views: 35

Anaisin

So I used the Mane Choice Egyptian gel again

I think it finished at around 4:30 or 5

Still wet. I refuse to touch my hair so I don't really know how wet it is, it's not dripping though. I predict it will be dry tomorrow night so like 65% wet. I did it on soaking wet hair in the shower. I didn't use a leave in, I conditioned then used some of the oil from the same line. Also I'm pretty sure I used too much, you can see the chunks of product in my hair. Hoping this doesn't flake up

8000E608-B7A2-4AF3-A2FF-5F26ED40692D.jpeg
131E4002-F2D1-470B-A0DB-12DDF9DF60F2.jpeg

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
So I used the Mane Choice Egyptian gel again

I think it finished at around 4:30 or 5

Still wet. I refuse to touch my hair so I don't really know how wet it is, it's not dripping though. I predict it will be dry tomorrow night so like 65% wet. I did it on soaking wet hair in the shower. I didn't use a leave in, I conditioned then used some of the oil from the same line. Also I'm pretty sure I used too much, you can see the chunks of product in my hair. Hoping this doesn't flake up

View attachment 413643
View attachment 413645
I find using my shower mirror a must when I'm doing my hair in the shower. I usually do my initial styling outside the show but during the week I will refresh in the shower.

niknakmac

I bought some TGIN leave in and the curl bomb gel. I tried it this morning.....total fail. I have some curl definition but a lot of frizz. I am totally not impressed. I bought this stuff at target, can I return it? Someone please say yes...this crap was $30!!!

ETA I just checked. I can return it. I will be returning it today.

Update I returned the tgin. I did like the conditioner but the gel was not heavy enough for my hair. Target had the mane choice on sale so I picked up the leave in conditioner ($10) and the gel ($11). I will report back how it does after my wash in the morning.