New *2010* Transitioners Support Thread!

yeswecan

Thank you for the welcome Mummysgirl, Shay72, Platinum. My peeps be like :rolleyes::wallbash::yawn::spinning::perplexed when I talk hair because its not happening to them. I have much to learn about hair and this site (just found it a few days ago) I love it. Appreciate your wonderful posts. Know my hair's potential looking forward to our ( me n my hair's) future. Gotta go try to make my hair decent, goin out tmo afternoon. Check back later.

MummysGirl

:hiya:
I'll be one year post on the 20th of December :yep:
1. How far into your transition are you?
I will be 12 months on 12/19.

2. What's your transition goal?
BSL natural hair. I have been doing minor chops throughout my transition. I was SL length but now I am neck length.

MummysGirl

I think you'll know what you want to do when you get to 1 year post... earlier on in my transition, I started to wonder about BC'ing @ 6/7 months post... but changed my mind (after realising I had mega shrinkage :lachen:) then I wondered about one year post, I quickly changed my mind when I realised I'd have 2ce the length I had at 6 months post (which won't be enough)... which is why now I've decided to re-evaluate @ 18 months post.

Just set little milestones and decide when you get there :yep:

I was talking to my mom on the phone and although I couldn't see her I felt she was like this :spinning:. I'm always talking about my hair and I am really trying to decide if I will just bc after a year or do a mini chop at a year and another at 18 months :wallbash:.

Ltown

Greyland
I was talking to my mom on the phone and although I couldn't see her I felt she was like this :spinning:. I'm always talking about my hair and I am really trying to decide if I will just bc after a year or do a mini chop at a year and another at 18 months :wallbash:.
Gradually trim of the relax ends, so you can still retain the length you want. Since it getting colder bunning will help so you don't have to bc.

Shay72

Natural, 4A
I think you'll know what you want to do when you get to 1 year post... earlier on in my transition, I started to wonder about BC'ing @ 6/7 months post... but changed my mind (after realising I had mega shrinkage :lachen:) then I wondered about one year post, I quickly changed my mind when I realised I'd have 2ce the length I had at 6 months post (which won't be enough)... which is why now I've decided to re-evaluate @ 18 months post.

Just set little milestones and decide when you get there :yep:
I will check in at 1 year and 18 months. We'll see how it goes.

Gradually trim of the relax ends, so you can still retain the length you want. Since it getting colder bunning will help so you don't have to bc.
Bunning has been my main protective style the entire time. I did take a break to grow my edges back in :blush: but now I'm really careful and am working on strengthening my edges.

drea_b

24 months post... im waitin out till new years.. honestly i could go longer if i wanted to, but the eagerness is taking over. so i think the time is perfect.

OhmyKimB

1. How far into your transition are you? almost three months just decided to not relax anymore, still fighting the urge a lot.
2. What's your transition goal? I plan on transitioning until my hair is bsl natural...so I'll be at this for a while

My mom is really against my doing this, she feels as though since I'll be entering into the corporate world that it'll give ppl more reason to be afraid of me, even though I've explained to her that I do not plan on wearing my hair in any type of afro, and that I'll mostly be keeping it doobied or in curly rollerset.

Does anyone know of a couple twist out tutorials in a fotki or anyway else because I feel like that's another style that I'll be rocking a lot.

Last edited:

SunnyHoney

I'm completely new to LHCF, and am SO glad to be here! I'm lovin' the support expressed between all the ladies.

I'll really need it on my hair journey. I'm 6 weeks post and not planning on a BC if I can avoid it (big head issues!) Hoping I can just trim off relaxer.
My whole goal is to gain some length.

Hey, is there a thread that explains what all these acronyms are? I managed to figure out a few, but I'm not feelin' like I know the LHCF lingo!:perplexed Also, how do y'all put those ticker tapes in your siggy to track your transition time?

One more thing, I just gotta say all the pics of all the different hair lengths, styles, textures are BEAUTIFUL! :grouphug:

hairsothick

Black and Magical
Soooo Aveeno has a haircare line. I must have the products to test. :look:

I think I'm gonna try their soothing shampoo, their nourish + revitalize conditioner, and their leave in. I sniffed them all in the store and they smell goooood. I can't wait.

lady djm

My last perm was in April 2009 and I'm trying to make it to at least April of next year. It's been an interesting journey. The creamy crack has tried to get me and I was tempted to do the big chop because these different textures are getting on my nerves.

determineddiva

1. 11 months post
2. 18 months (minimum)

Hi I'm new to this site and really need help transitioning. Here's my story, my last relaxer was Oct 2008. My hair has grown but I'm noticing that my hair line is thinning really bad and ihave breakage in the top of my head. I'm so discouraged! I use creme of nature shampoo and motions cpr, and moisture conditioner. I was washing and conditioning weekly. I moisturize daily with shea butter, glycerin, water mixture. I keep ends trimmed. I wear protective styles braids, sewins, and half wigs. I believe my hair type is 4b/c. Neck length hair. I would love to have my shoulder length, thick healthy hair back, but don't want to go back to a relaxer. Any suggestions, regimen would be greatly appreciated. I flat ironed my hair and almost cried because it's so thin. Please help.
Thanks in advance

LoveCraze

Naturalista
I'm completely new to LHCF, and am SO glad to be here! I'm lovin' the support expressed between all the ladies.

I'll really need it on my hair journey. I'm 6 weeks post and not planning on a BC if I can avoid it (big head issues!) Hoping I can just trim off relaxer.

Hey, is there a thread that explains what all these acronyms are? I managed to figure out a few, but I'm not feelin' like I know the LHCF lingo!:perplexed Also, how do y'all put those ticker tapes in your siggy to track your transition time?

One more thing, I just gotta say all the pics of all the different hair lengths, styles, textures are BEAUTIFUL! :grouphug:

Try this one HoneyMama

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=410138

moriahar

Hello Everyone and Welcome Newcomers!

Thx Mummy for starting this thread.

1. How far into your transition are you?

I am almost 7 months post.

2. What's your transition goal?

As for my transition goal I'm not totally sure but I'm thinking somewhere around 18 months.

I had my hair cut 2 weeks ago to about neck length. I've been wearing my hair out for a while but I plan to get zillions or a sew in in January to help me from overstyling my hair.

I'm so glad to have a whole community here that is on this hair journy with me. Thx ladies.

Grand Prix

24 months post... im waitin out till new years.. honestly i could go longer if i wanted to, but the eagerness is taking over. so i think the time is perfect.

Woah, 24 months!

I checked out your fotki and ohh :lick:!
Could you share some details on how you've kept your hair so manageable and healthy? It looks really great.

MummysGirl

:hiya: AND :welcome:

Try this thread: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=20774

Make sure you check in often and feel free to ask questions, there are soooo many of us here :yep:

MummysGirl

I watched this video 2ce and knew how to flat twist! It's REALLY good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYKugFF04jI

I don't use her products (my leave in then airdry to 80% dry, I apply lustrasilk shea butter cholesterol to each section before flat twisting, I use a flexirod on the ends or I put them in bantu knots.

My left siggy pic is a twistout.

1. How far into your transition are you? almost three months just decided to not relax anymore, still fighting the urge a lot.
2. What's your transition goal? I plan on transitioning until my hair is bsl natural...so I'll be at this for a while

My mom is really against my doing this, she feels as though since I'll be entering into the corporate world that it'll give ppl more reason to be afraid of me, even though I've explained to her that I do not plan on wearing my hair in any type of afro, and that I'll mostly be keeping it doobied or in curly rollerset.

Does anyone know of a couple twist out tutorials in a fotki or anyway else because I feel like that's another style that I'll be rocking a lot.

MummysGirl

:hiya:

Your edges might be thinning cos of your braids, weaves and tight bunning... Give your edges a break, try to stay away from these styles...

1. Try not to comb your new growth when it's completely dry, if you must, comb very lightly with a wide tooth comb.
2. Check out my hairstyle album (fotki): http://public.fotki.com/mummysgirl/transition-to-natural/hairdos-while-trans/
99% of my hairstyles are very kind to my edges because I need that.

Hi I'm new to this site and really need help transitioning. Here's my story, my last relaxer was Oct 2008. My hair has grown but I'm noticing that my hair line is thinning really bad and ihave breakage in the top of my head. I'm so discouraged! I use creme of nature shampoo and motions cpr, and moisture conditioner. I was washing and conditioning weekly. I moisturize daily with shea butter, glycerin, water mixture. I keep ends trimmed. I wear protective styles braids, sewins, and half wigs. I believe my hair type is 4b/c. Neck length hair. I would love to have my shoulder length, thick healthy hair back, but don't want to go back to a relaxer. Any suggestions, regimen would be greatly appreciated. I flat ironed my hair and almost cried because it's so thin. Please help.
Thanks in advance

yeswecan

Hey ladies, already had a short haircut, (4c 14 wks new growth) tried a braidout last nite, packed it with miss jessie's curly puding because I had it in the house and I like the way it smells curled it tight on sponge roller frames no sponges cause that's what I had in the house (gotta get up on products and tools) so now I have the twa my head is too big for and I'm gonna rock it cause I'm not startin over at least it looks healthy and shiny and I could have sat under the dryer just a little cause I want to avoid heat as much as possible but I used so much product my hair is a little greasy no one should be touching my hair today anyway ttyl

yeswecan

oops didnt know to quote determineddiva, well its okay, I'm still learnin, Welcome, I'm new too, havin the time of my life, check the stickies, spend all my free time reading this site, happy and excited about growin back my hair 4c, researchin the info I need to be successful with my natural hair, happy days are here again and I say to myself what a wonderful world soon I'll have more time for other self improvement projects hooray I'm just silly happy okay I'll take it down a notch later...

Last edited:

eternalsotsm

Hi. I'm kinda nervous to do a BC, so i'm transitioning for 20 months...maybe longer. It's been 5 months now and it's not bad at all. i've been transitioning with curl formers and bantu knots. I'm also using pure shea butter, and my hair absolutely loves this stuff, it soaks it up like a sponge and it keeps the curls so nice and soft. My family are kinda against me going natural...so i want to show 'em that being natural is very beautiful.

dorko

1. How far into your transition are you? uhhh 4months 3 weeks in
2. What's your transition goal? until i'm at least at my current length natural. i'm BSL... soooo i dunno how long lol :look:

Platinum

Here is a thread that explains a few acronyms. Hope this helps. http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=20774
Hi. I'm kinda nervous to do a BC, so i'm transitioning for 20 months...maybe longer. It's been 5 months now and it's not bad at all. i've been transitioning with curl formers and bantu knots. I'm also using pure shea butter, and my hair absolutely loves this stuff, it soaks it up like a sponge and it keeps the curls so nice and soft. My family are kinda against me going natural...so i want to show 'em that being natural is very beautiful.

:welcome4::newbie: You're among friends here.:lots:

Last edited:

Skiggle

Question!!!
As you ladies are getting alot of new growth
as each month goes by..are you guys having a harder time
doing old style like braid outs/twistouts...
I have a good amount of new growth but the relax hair is just
thin and nasty and doesn't blend well.
I want to do a nice style for X-mas
after I take out my kinky twists...

LuyshuZ

19 Months and 3 weeks post!! I was originally planning to transition for 30 months, but now I'm planning on chopping in August (28 months) 2 weeks b4 Finals.

Last edited:

determineddiva

Thanks mummysgirl! I will definitely take your advice. Looking at your hair reminds me a little of mine, except yours is thicker and longer. I will have a challenge with finding protective styles that i can wear to work. My goal for 2010 is to be shoulder length or longer. With all you guys help and encouragement I'm sure I can achieve it.

SunnyHoney

Hey DigitalRain,

I get those moments of weakness looking at new growth, too, and that's when I need someone to talk me down from the relaxer "ledge". (We're within 2 weeks of each other's transition time.) I don't know if I'll love it when it's all natural, but I know I'm gonna hate the transition. :pullhair:

Since we're around the same transition time, let's help each other get to at least a year! :cheers:

I'm going to wear mine straight through the whole transition to keep the temptation to relax away. I think it's better for me when I don't see the stark difference. What about you? How are you styling for the transition?

I think we can start by stating:
1. How far into your transition are you? 8 weeks.
2. What's your transition goal? At this point 6 month. Really would love to go a year.

Im looking at my 4b newgrowth, and Im having a moment of weakness. Im gonna need divine intervention to make it to 6 months. :look: