3 Month Ayurveda Challenge

rhapsdyblu

I want to be on this challenge but I don't know how to use my ayervedic stuff with my KCCC.:ohwell: Anyone got any tips?:sad:

I haven't joined the challenge yet, but I do use KCCC & oils. However, I rinse out KCCC at night, use my MegaTek or OCT & then add moisturizer & oils & baggie over night. Add more oil in AM & then cowash with my Denver Girl Shikaki Cowash or Laddy Aggie's cowash recipe, condition or dc ( also add oils to my con & dc's), rinse then apply leave in & KCCC for styling. Since I cw daily, my KCCC gets washed out every day. I may start cw every 2 days - not sure yet. Anyway, my hair comes out nice and soft. I henna about once a month.

Eisani

Umm, have yall seen Aggie's growth updates? :grin: She's had some great progress, I'm so happy for her! Anyhoo, I had to pull out the big guns today and chelate then I DC'd w/a non-ayurvedic product (Jessicurl WDT :lick:) then oiled my scalp w/Bhringraj oil. I did two strand twists w/Afroveda Shea-Amla Whipped Cream. I *heart* this stuff. Truly.

PuffyBrown

Still going strong on this challenge. I ran out of
my Kalpi Tone powder :wallbash:and I am sad because I cannot find anymore:sad:. My indian store does not carry it. I found some on line but I refuse to pay $8 for 100g. + shipping. That is a rip off! Wish me luck on my search ladies. In the meantime I have Amla, Neem, Shikakai, and Aritha, Tulis, Brahmi all mixed together. There is another powder that my indian grocer carries that has a mix blend of several powders. It may be compatible with the Kalpi Tone but it has henna in it, and I did not really want to use henna. :ohwell:I am looking up some of the other powders to see what I can find ie. Maka. I amhat going to check out From Nature with Love and see what they have.

PuffyBrown

Sounds great.
I am running out of everything. Conditioner, leave ins, shampoo. I need to whip out my pj card and stock up.

Umm, have yall seen Aggie's growth updates? :grin: She's had some great progress, I'm so happy for her! Anyhoo, I had to pull out the big guns today and chelate then I DC'd w/a non-ayurvedic product (Jessicurl WDT :lick:) then oiled my scalp w/Bhringraj oil. I did two strand twists w/Afroveda Shea-Amla Whipped Cream. I *heart* this stuff. Truly.

PuffyBrown

Yes her hair is growing like a weed. Bahama mama.

PuffyBrown

I did a hot oil treatment today with Brahmi/Amla oil & Nilibhringadi mixed together. I DC'd with Elucence and porosity control. Rinsed added leave ins and airdried. My hair is so soft and silky right now.

Platinum

I'm thinking about making a homemade Shikakai oil today. What kind of oil do you think I should use as a base? Olive, coconut, or any other kind of oil?

Eisani

I'm thinking about making a homemade Shikakai oil today. What kind of oil do you think I should use as a base? Olive, coconut, or any other kind of oil?
I like to use sesame, jojoba, jojoba/coconut mixed, sweet almond or castor oil when I do herbal infusions.

Platinum

I like to use sesame, jojoba, jojoba/coconut mixed, sweet almond or castor oil when I do herbal infusions.

Sounds great! Thanks!:kiss: I'm out of Jojoba :sad: but I was thinking about trying Sesame seed oil. I may run to the Indian store to get some since I don't have a load yet.

Dee Raven

Can you count me in too? I actually started on Dec. 2, but I didn't want to officially add until I knew that I would actually be able to complete the challenge.

My regimen so far is wash weekly with aritha powder, followed with vatika oil and low maintenance styling. At least twice weekly scalp massage with either vatika oil or amla/brahmi oil.

I'm definitely interested in these herbal infusions and tea rinses that you guys are talking about, and will be following this post frequently to learn the tricks of the trade. I'll try to put pictures up this week, during wash day.

Platinum

:welcome4: Dee!:wave: Girl, I'm telling you. I :love: using Ayurvedic products! The only regret I have is that I wish I had started using this stuff when I joined LHCF. I would have saved a lot of money and time when I was trying to repair my damaged hair.

ladylibra

so i will be sticking with my shikakai and amla powders (which i brew into a tea to wash my hair with) then co-wash afterwards. i've decided to use almond oil and brahmi oil for my scalp massages.

ok so... per my adventure in the Indian grocery store last night :lol: i have switched this up a bit.

using shikakai and brahmi powder in about 15 minutes. (i know, i said i'd wash my hair at night. i fell asleep early last night :spinning: ) i will then use my V05 conditioner with honey and green tea... detangle, rinse, add a bit more conditioner as my leave-in and re-do my twisty bun. i used this new amla/almond/henna oil last night... don't know if i like it yet. but it is nice and light like olive oil (only, smells much stronger :look: ).

so, i think this is my reggie for the next few months. let's see how it works out! :grin:

KPH

House Head
washed with Shikakai bar and mixed some amla with water, let it sit for 30 minutes, rines out with Suave Humectant and then deep conditioned with the love of my life SITRI NILLAH. I need to give away and toss everything else in the trash but I moved everything else to my daughters bathroom. I acutually have great hope and expectations for my hair.

Eisani

Sounds great! Thanks!:kiss: I'm out of Jojoba :sad: but I was thinking about trying Sesame seed oil. I may run to the Indian store to get some since I don't have a load yet.
You're welcome! I started using sesame once a lady in the Indian Grocery said that a lot of their oils used it as a base. I figured there had to be something to it. She was saying there were hundreds, if not thousands of products back there that they don't sell here that I would probably love...I was thinking don't make me plan a trip there :look:

Got rupees?

MissMusic

So, last wash I used Amla powder and this wash I can't decide which one I want to use. My hair could use any and all of the powders, that's why I bought them. I have Shikakai, Aritha, Brahmi and Henna powders to choose from. I have never had this problem before.

ETA: I decided on henna and my hair thanks me.

Last edited:

mamauv2

Just wanted to say since my yogurt treatment...my curls are GONE:nono: I mean, gone, gone. My hair is just a frizz ball now and I'm not happy.

flowinlocks

Last week I oiled my hair with my Shikakai,Alma, Neem mixture, then I rinsed with a tea of the same powders, last night I noticed I have couple of boxes of Brahmi that need to be used up before they expire, so I made a paste with Bhrami, warm water, & Jason's Natural Biotin conditioner. I oiled my hair with my Bhringraj, Alma,Brahmi mixture then applied the paste from root to ends , by the way I ONLY use the paste when I'm freshly relaxed, other it's too hard to rinse. I let it sit for about 45mins. Rinsed well then reapplied cond. When I finally rinsed OMG, my hair felt soooo soft & moisturized.

Dee Raven

What I really love about the aritha powder wash is that my hair doesn't shrink up that much. It's great.

Can someone explain to me how you are making the herbal infusions. From what I'm hearing, and what I'm reading in a book, you boil base oil, put in herbs, powders, let sit 1 to 2 days, strain and then save and use. Is that right, or is that for something else? Thanks for you help.

Here is my starting pic for the challenge.

Attachments

• beginning pic 12.11.08.jpg
    beginning pic 12.11.08.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 10

Eisani

What I really love about the aritha powder wash is that my hair doesn't shrink up that much. It's great.

Can someone explain to me how you are making the herbal infusions. From what I'm hearing, and what I'm reading in a book, you boil base oil, put in herbs, powders, let sit 1 to 2 days, strain and then save and use. Is that right, or is that for something else? Thanks for you help.

Here is my starting pic for the challenge.
That's how I do mine, I do it in a double boiler though because I'm scared of :couchfire: I think I may try the little potpourri pot or mini crock pot next time and see how that works.

Joanna721

ok ladies....I have henna, and aritha
dont know how often to use them....starting to worry that I might loose my curl pattern and my hair is too short to try to do anything with...

I will use shikakai bar once a week I will condition with HE hello hydration and then oil my scalp with vatika oil and seal with coconut oil and I will probably alternate with almond oil, olive oil, and some other oils that I have sitting around....also I will clarify once every two weeks with the baking soda at night I will spritz my hair with water followed by mango butter moisturizer and then some oil....I will co wash with VO5 every other day followed by oiling my scalp...wearing a puff, and I will be back to post my beginning pic

Platinum

I prepoo'd with Coconut oil, used one of my Shikakai shampoo bars, and sealed with Olive oil last night. My hair is very soft today. Oddly enough, I'm two weeks post and I think I'm starting to feel a little NG. I love Ayurveda!

Eisani

I've been so lazy with my hair. I prepoo'd w/bhringraj and jojoba oil overnight, washed w/castile soap, then used a conditioner from shescentit to DC. moisturized w/Seyani hair butter and sealed w/JBCO. Sitting under dryer now to partially dry so I can twist it. I've been on a twist out kick since Thanksgiving, but my hair isn't complaining.

4mia

hmmm i prepooed with hv shik oil, i then took some brahmi powder and mixed it with brewed coffee. I washed my hair, applied mix, let sit for 3 min, then rinsed and conditioned. My hair seems to be nice and strong. We will see in the am

ladylibra

Ok i've been using ayurvedic methods since summer so... The other night when my son was taking a bath i got the bright idea to try it out on his hair. He has some 4a patches but is mostly 4b, 90% shrinkage (no, really :look:) and when his hair dries it DRIES! Everything i've used so far has kept it healthy but it still always felt dry to me.

I letr the brahmi/shikakai sit in his hair for a few minutes and rinsed... His hair felt incredible!!! :grin: i conditioned, wiped the excess off with his washrag (his hair is short) and then added the amla/almond/henna oil. His hair is softer and even less tangly. So i think i'm doing a 2-for-1 here... I will post a starting pic for him as well and let y'all know how this routine works in the long run for my 3-year-old. :yep:

that_1_grrrl

I'm definitely sticking to my ayurvedic routine. My hair feels so soft, and it's a softness I've never felt in my hair before. I have slip for days. I finally have day after hair! A lot less shrinkage, and more curl definition. My hair just feels awesome. I've been in love with my hair since I first learned to take care of it, but now that I've been using the powders and oils, I want to renew my vows with my hair. :dinner: