August 2016: Hits & Misses

NaturallyATLPCH

Have you tried Obia's products? I think she incorporates babassu oil in several of her products, iirc.

She has a Babassu DC, but unless she changed the formulations of her other products, this is the only one that has Babassu oil in it.
Mielle also has a Babassu Mint DC and Babassu shampoo.
I love babassu oil. When I use up some oils, I'm going to prepoo with it. Right now I'm using APB's Blow Dry cream as a prepoo because it has babassu oil in it and it makes my hair really soft.
I love that it has the same benefits as coconut oil, which my hair can't stand.

KinkyRN

Hit: SM African mint (something) conditioner. On my lo porosity hair it acted as a light protein. Followed up with the lo po rinse out as a deep conditioner by adding heat. Great combo.
Following the directions on the Hello Curly to the tee by not using a leave in and adding to soaking wet hair. 5 day wash and go with shine, moisture and nonstop definition.

Miss: trying to find a replacement for Hello Curly (I'm late to the game).

NaturallyATLPCH

Hit: SM African Water Mint Shampoo
Love the tingle, clean yet soft hair.

Potential Miss: Hempz Triple Moisture Conditioner
This was also formulated to be a DC, but the dimethicone in it weighed my hair down and now it feels soft, but coated. Oh well, I will stick to my tried and true APB, Naturale Grow, and Shea Moisture.
Plus it had zero slip.

Dayjoy

Old School Member
@Dayjoy and @Saludable84 I used it as a protein treatment. I transfered it to a spray bottle, saturated it through my hair without diluting it, then put a plastic cap on for 30 minutes (I was only going to leave it on for 15 as @lulu97 suggested but I got lazy lol). My hair soaked it up. There was nothing when I rinsed it out. While I was styling my hair, very, very little to hardly any breakage and now my hair is drying SO SOFT with my products in it.

I'll sit under the dryer next time.

Thank you to the ladies on this board for suggesting it!
So you didn't need to do a moisture DC afterwards? Maybe I'll skip that next time.

Aggie

Hit:
QB ABCDEFG Butter. My hair is so soft. I literally stood at my closet and tested 5 different butters and creams and this one just melted on my dirty hair. I'm glad used it

APB Cherry and Kukui Lotion. I actually do not need to use a lot of it. I want to try another lotion or cream in the future.

Tentative Hit:
DevaCurl No Poo Decadence. It is more moisturizing than the original; my guess is the quinoa. Being that you can use this stuff daily, I hope it doesn't cause a problem.

Miss:
Leaving Aussie Moist in my hair. We are not going to talk about it.

@Saludable84, Ref: bolded above - what is that butter you speak of dear?

Aggie

She has a Babassu DC, but unless she changed the formulations of her other products, this is the only one that has Babassu oil in it.
Mielle also has a Babassu Mint DC and Babassu shampoo.
I love babassu oil. When I use up some oils, I'm going to prepoo with it. Right now I'm using APB's Blow Dry cream as a prepoo because it has babassu oil in it and it makes my hair really soft.
I love that it has the same benefits as coconut oil, which my hair can't stand.
@NaturallyATLPCH

I am also noticing that my hair loves Babassu oil/butter as well. Every product that contains it that I have tried seem to agree with my hair a lot so I will be looking to invest in more products that contain it :yep:

Aggie

NEW HIT:

Naturelle Grow Hibiscus & Honey Leave-in Conditioner. It smells awesome and it leaves my hair pretty moisturized and soft. I got it in a small 8oz bottle with my first purchase of it but looks like I may have to get the large one (16oz) on my next order of it. But before I do that, I'm looking to try out APB Moisturizing Leave-in Conditioner soon that's currently in my stash :yep:.

KinkyRN

New Miss: SM Rose Peace Cream Gel. It felt like I had added water to some cheap body lotion. The rose smell was over powering. All day yesterday I thought I smelled like my great granny. It goes on thin and when it dried so did my hair. No softness or shine. My hair was stiff. My curl definition was pitiful. I am so glad that I don't have a lot of hair so I could cowash and condition this morning. I will save it and retry it later with a different leave in (I used SM raw detangler and leave in).

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
New Miss: SM Rose Peace Cream Gel. It felt like I had added water to some cheap body lotion. The rose smell was over powering. All day yesterday I thought I smelled like my great granny. It goes on thin and when it dried so did my hair. No softness or shine. My hair was stiff. My curl definition was pitiful. I am so glad that I don't have a lot of hair so I could cowash and condition this morning. I will save it and retry it later with a different leave in (I used SM raw detangler and leave in).
I will not try this line due to having the facial wash and the fragrance is exactly how you described it. NO thanks!

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Okay and potentially a miss (need to try once more):
Shea Moisture Peace Rose Oil Complex Nourish & Silken Styling Gel-cream
The SM Rose Oil gel-cream had a light hold, strong smell, and then not quite but almost seemed to give my hair a browner, dull tint. CAME SO HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. :( Will try one more time.​
Good
Pantene Pro-V Truly Natural Hair Defining Curls Styling Custard
The Pantene is doing a good job with providing great hold. I like the way it went on. I was very heavy-handed and got zero flaking. It does not help elongate the curls, which is fine. It didn't really define my curls, just added hold. Feels good. Looks good. Not my favorite ingredients, but a good option at around $4.
Continued Hit
DevaCurl Decadence No Poo and One Condition
These products feel good, smell nice, and give my hair curl definition. Frizz is greatly reduced. If I think about it, I probably don't own a better conditioner and non-stripping cleanser.​

KinkyRN

Okay and potentially a miss (need to try once more):
Shea Moisture Peace Rose Oil Complex Nourish & Silken Styling Gel-cream
The SM Rose Oil gel-cream had a light hold, strong smell, and then not quite but almost seemed to give my hair a browner, dull tint. CAME SO HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. :( Will try one more time.​
Good
Pantene Pro-V Truly Natural Hair Defining Curls Styling Custard
The Pantene is doing a good job with providing great hold. I like the way it went on. I was very heavy-handed and got zero flaking. It does not help elongate the curls, which is fine. It didn't really define my curls, just added hold. Feels good. Looks good. Not my favorite ingredients, but a good option at around $4.
Continued Hit
DevaCurl Decadence No Poo and One Condition
These products feel good, smell nice, and give my hair curl definition. Frizz is greatly reduced. If I think about it, I probably don't own a better conditioner and non-stripping cleanser.​
I hope it will work for someone.