6 Month Ayurveda Challenge

Aggie

Took my extension braids down last night and will be hennaing my hair later today or tomorrow morning.

I will be trying Hesh Mehandi Henna Powder today with some hibiscus, amla and brahmi powder mixed in to see if I'll like this one. I don't want a henna gloss today so I won't be adding any conditioner to it this time.

I decided to apply the henna to my hair tonight and will be sleeping with it in my hair overnight. I will be doing the 2 step henna and indigo treament so the indigo application will follow tomorrow morning:yep:.

The indigo I have is from ayurnaturalbeauty.com and it will be my first time using it and I can't wait to see what the outcome will be like:look:.

Aspire

I finally remembered to order some Amla powder today. I actually ordered from Amazon because I had some others things I wanted to order so I got free shipping. Besides Amazon's shipping is always super fast. Hopefully I will be good to start my amla tea rinses beginning next week. I will be doing the double tea rinsing tonight.

Shay, is your butterfly transitioning with you? :grin: It looks like almost like a Phoenix rising.

Just curious . . . about how many inches of NG are you working with now? I am SERIOUSLY considering the transition step, but scared to death. Every time I have tried w/o chopping, my hair broke off horribly. I know Ayurveda softens it up, but . . . still chicken.

I decided to apply the henna to my hair tonight and will be sleeping with it in my hair overnight. I will be doing the 2 step henna and indigo treament so the indigo application will follow tomorrow morning:yep:.

The indigo I have is from ayurnaturalbeauty.com and it will be my first time using it and I can't wait to see what the outcome will be like:look:.

Welcome back Aggie. I mixed my indigo with the henna because I did not have time for both steps. Not sure I think it came out dark enough though. Waiting to see how yours came out.

Shay72

Natural, 4A
Shay, is your butterfly transitioning with you? :grin: It looks like almost like a Phoenix rising.

Just curious . . . about how many inches of NG are you working with now? I am SERIOUSLY considering the transition step, but scared to death. Every time I have tried w/o chopping, my hair broke off horribly. I know Ayurveda softens it up, but . . . still chicken.

Welcome back Aggie. I mixed my indigo with the henna because I did not have time for both steps. Not sure I think it came out dark enough though. Waiting to see how yours came out.

You know good point about the butterfly :yep:. I was just trying to pick one that did not look like spring or summer. I guess it will be transitioning right along with me. I haven't measured my new growth but I get about 1/2 inch a month so I should be right at 2 inches but I think I have more. I will attempt to measure and let you know. I did notice some breakage in my crown area but I think I just need to be more careful with detangling. Managing the two textures is not an issue for me. Matter of fact I'm trying to bring out my texture more with amla. We will see how that goes.

Aggie

Thanks for the warm welcome back Aspire. I have another 45 minutes before I wash out the indigo. I used 175grams of it. I knew that one 100 gram bag would not have been enough for all this new growth on my head and it was enough to cover my whole head.

For my next indigo treatment I may only need one bag for my new growth only or I may just use the 25 grams I have left over from this treatment on my front hairline only to cover my grays:yep:.

I can't wait to wash this out and see how it came out.

Aggie

Okay here's my update on the indigo from www.ayurnaturalbeauty.com. I just washed it out about 45 minutes ago and is now sitting with my DC on and will most likely keep it for a few hours or overnight.

I carefully checked my hairline and middle of my hair (where most of my grays are) and saw complete black coverage. I will watch it over the next few days as it oxidizes and pray it stays black. I'm DCing with a mixture of Mizani Moisturefuse Conditioner, Mizani ThermaSmooth Conditioner and an ounce of hot Vatika Frosting.

My hair feels very strong but I know I am going to have quite a task ahead of me when it's time for me to detangle my hair. It is always one big tangled mess after a hendigo session:sad: and I am not looking forward to that:nono:.

Cassandra1975

I'm going to have to find time to do more during the week. I feel like I'm just shedding like crazy, and now it's time for a trim 'cause it's tangling up like crazy. I am due for a henna this weekend. I'm supposed to do a good chunk of running this weekend, which is going to make me sweat and I will need to at least rinse the sweat out. I might do the henna Thursday night for Friday, and just wear a head wrap on Friday.

Aggie

Hmmm, I'm already thinking about my next ayurveda session on the weekend. I think I will do a kalpi tone and amla powder rinse on my heavily oiled hair in big braids instead of loosed to avoid tangles. Or I may do an ayurveda cowash with shikakai, amla and brahmi powders, oils and Tesemme remoisturize conditioner. Oh dear! What to do! What to do!

Aspire

Thanks for the warm welcome back Aspire. I have another 45 minutes before I wash out the indigo. I used 175grams of it. I knew that one 100 gram bag would not have been enough for all this new growth on my head and it was enough to cover my whole head.

For my next indigo treatment I may only need one bag for my new growth only or I may just use the 25 grams I have left over from this treatment on my front hairline only to cover my grays:yep:.

I can't wait to wash this out and see how it came out.

Hmm @ bolded. This might explain why my color only lasted till I washed my hair. I only used about 3 tblspns of the indigo. Next time I will try more. Has anyone tried indigo with cassia instead of henna I wonder?

Stella B.

prepooing with Amla oil and my Vatika cocktail. I will shampoo later with my Ayurvedic poo bar from Chargin Valley.
Ummmmmm flowinlocks, just your mentioning the ayurvedic poo bar makes me want to go and lather up my hair too! Which bars do you enjoy the most? I've been eyeing the coconut milk one..yum!:lick:

Ltown

Greyland
prepooing with Amla oil and my Vatika cocktail. I will shampoo later with my Ayurvedic poo bar from Chargin Valley.

Flowinlocks, you are so helpful always sharing your receipes here and in other ayurveda threads you need a fotki:grin: I've already made my own personal journal:rolleyes:

Aggie

I will most likely be doing an ayurveda cowash or rinse this week end but I have to clarify my hair too so I guess I'll do the rinse after clarifying my hair:yep:.

If I do a cowash, it will be the one I always use in my fotki but if I do a rinse, I'll use kalpi tone and amla powders. I do need to do a protein treatment and deep conditioning session as well. I guess I have a very long weekend ahead of me:grin:.

flowinlocks

Ummmmmm flowinlocks, just your mentioning the ayurvedic poo bar makes me want to go and lather up my hair too! Which bars do you enjoy the most? I've been eyeing the coconut milk one..yum!:lick:

Yeah that does sound yummy.
I have the traditional Swastik brand and the Godrej as well as the Chargin Valley. This was my first time use the Chargin Vally brand, and although it's loaded with great stuff my hair feels the same as it does when I use the others. So I really don't have a favorite. The Swastik brand leaves my hair a bit more coated but on the flip side it feels suuuper strong. They all left my hair realy soft so I will stick to the cheaper traditional brands from now on.

Flowinlocks, you are so helpful always sharing your receipes here and in other ayurveda threads you need a fotki:grin: I've already made my own personal journal:rolleyes:

Thanks... You know I think I created a Fotki when I first joined, but never updated it. One day I'll stop being lazy and work on it.:yep:

Aggie

I have a tea rinse mixture of neem, kalpi tone, amla and fenugreek seed powders in my hair right now and is about to wash it out.

Aggie

I have a tea rinse mixture of neem, kalpi tone, amla and fenugreek seed powders in my hair right now and is about to wash it out.

Update: This tea left my hair surprisingly soft. I thought the neem powder would have left my hair dry, but it didn't. This was my first time using it and it's not bad, not bad at all.

The powders have been leaving my 9 months of new growth a tangled mess but not anymore because now I use the tea on my hair after I've braided it in 4 big plaits. I pour the tea over my hair a few times then leave it in my hair for an hour or two with a plastic cap on. I DC as usual afterwards.

flowinlocks

Update: This tea left my hair surprisingly soft. I thought the neem powder would have left my hair dry, but it didn't. This was my first time using it and it's not bad, not bad at all.

The powders have been leaving my 9 months of new growth a tangled mess but not anymore because now I use the tea on my hair after I've braided it in 4 big plaits. I pour the tea over my hair a few times then leave it in my hair for an hour or two with a plastic cap on. I DC as usual afterwards.

Wow has it been 9 months already?? I cant wait to see your reveal pics.

Aspire

Purchased Neem bars and Swatsik Shik bars this weekend. LOVE the neem bars. My skin brightened after only one use! Also bought neem oil. OMG - the smell is like burned peanuts and rubber, but my hair seems to like it. I think I will save it though for hot oil treatments and pre-poos. Will use the bar later this week.

Aspire

I LOVE neem powder in my cassia mixtures. I use it each time I use cassia alone. It seems to make my strands plumper and stronger. I always do a moisture DC after though. Come to think of it, I have also mixed the neem with AOHSR and left in overnight. My hair came out amazing the next day (now I want to go back and do that again :yep:).

Shay72

Natural, 4A
Neem--is a cleanser right? I can't remember. I have a box of Neem sitting on my shelf right now & Cassia, hmmm?

jamaraa

Yes, neem is a cleanser and disinfectant. It works wonders on skin issues like danderuff and on facial/body skin problems. (I like to use it in skin care mixes) In powder form, the smell is not there, but in oil form? Oh Lawd...no words, folks. No words. :nono:

Powder's a good option :yep:

Ltown

Greyland
Yes I actually did, I wanted another way to use up my Fenugreek, plus I like keeping these herbs in my hair/scalp at all times. I infused it with EVOO.
Oh another flowinlocks receipe in my journal. I have alot of hibiscus powder too. I'm going to stock up on my mason jars:grin:

Aggie

Wow has it been 9 months already?? I cant wait to see your reveal pics.

Well I have trimmed off 8 inches since I started the stretch and will be taking the whole head of straight relaxed hair off eventually and then start my texlaxing so there may not be much difference in length when I do the reveal:look:. I am hoping for more thickness than anything.