**Rollersetting 2012 Challenge**

DominicanBrazilian82

topnotch1010 said:
My hair goal for next year: Full BSL. My hair is cut in 100 different layers.

Products: I use BB Foam Wrap mixed with my "old faithful" Lottabody & water. 2:1:1 respectively. I use the turquoise magnetic rollers and a pibbs 514. If I want my hair "flat iron straight", I roll on red.

Technique: I roll up instead of down because I fullness at the roots would be too much for my already big hair. I roll very taunt in the mohawk pattern and silk wrap for 10 mins afterwards to get rid of some of the curl.

Like I said in my OP, I am triple processed: Relaxed, color blocked and highlighted within the color block. My hair can't take much heat without falling to the floor and after I crossed APL, the weight of the buns started to give me headaches. The health of my hair depends on rollersets w/the occasional braid/twist out.

Anyone else???:look:

I know I'm super late... But I really want to join this to finish out the year with no blow-dried heat. To accomplish this, air drying and roller setting are to be my best friends :)

Goal: I would like to be Full APL by years end.

Products: I only use a leave in conditioner and dime size of heat protectant. I hate the "hold" of a setting lotion because I Rollerset to achieve a body-filled wrap. I'm not too interested in the curls. My leave ins are Baba de Caracol or Lacio Lacio. I use the grey and red magnetic rollers. I have the salons r us dryer.

Technique: I roll under (abajo/down) for body. I do the Mohawk style (traditional Dominican process) and blow out my roots only once dry on the lowest setting. I pull my rollers extremely tight and have had great success from this from years of doing it. Plus my family has owned many Dom Salons where I would watch firsthand the process :)

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Evolving78

i fell off the wagon this summer, but i am back on track for the fall and winter. i rolled my hair and flat ironed my roots this morning. now i am going to pin my hair up in the back and call it a day. this will be pretty much how i will wear my hair for the rest of the year. i am not wearing it down until the holidays.

danysedai

Is flat ironing your roots safer than flat ironing the length?
I am still in the early stages. This week will be try number 4. I think I need to realize that my hair will never be relaxer straight. And that's okay since I don't want that look.

I would like to reduce the puff. I am going to try mixing setting lotion with cobditoner this week. And of course trying to roll tighter.

Blairx0, I feel that, as your roots is the newgrowth so it's stronger, less exposed to chemicals, dyes, products,etc it is safer to flat iron the NG rather than flat iron the whole strand where the hair is older, already relaxed, dyed, weaker,etc. At least I had more retention and my hair got longer once I stopped flat ironing the whole length and focused on the NG. Your length and ends will be smooth anyway from the roller, when you flat iron the NG only will get rid of the "roller separation marks" and your hair will lay smoother.

Blairx0

danysedai said:
Blairx0, I feel that, as your roots is the newgrowth so it's stronger, less exposed to chemicals, dyes, products,etc it is safer to flat iron the NG rather than flat iron the whole strand where the hair is older, already relaxed, dyed, weaker,etc. At least I had more retention and my hair got longer once I stopped flat ironing the whole length and focused on the NG. Your length and ends will be smooth anyway from the roller, when you flat iron the NG only will get rid of the "roller separation marks" and your hair will lay smoother.

My hair is natural so I have a good real of puff. But I agree my roots are stronger than my ends. My hair has a lot of texture after I rollerset, but I think I need more dry time.

Blairx0

Napp said:
im sittin under the dryer doing a mid week set to revive my hair

That is my plan for tomorrow. I also plan on switching up my products and rollers in the hopes of improved results

lushlady

One of the few positives about cooler weather for me is that I can rollerset and actually wear the set out. I rollerset my hair this past weekend to stretch it before flat twisting it.

Blairx0

All rolled up and under the dryer. I am starting to get the hang of securing with duck clips. Now if I can just stay under the dryer until I am all dry

Napp

Ms. Nobody
here is my ponytail set. it came out ok and was much quicker than usual but i think i prefer traditional sets better. i used a little heat on the part and crown. i didnt really care for this set much. i think i will be going back o using the red rollers all over. the 2in rollers give me too much of a loose curl.

Attachments

• ponysetfront.jpg
    ponysetfront.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 74
  • ponysetback.jpg
    ponysetback.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 75
  • ponysetresult.jpg
    ponysetresult.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 90

gabulldawg

Just set my hair using Cantu Shea butter leave in and coconut oil. I'm letting it airdry. I hope it turns out good!

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
here is my ponytail set. it came out ok and was much quicker than usual but i think i prefer traditional sets better. i used a little heat on the part and crown. i didnt really care for this set much. i think i will be going back o using the red rollers all over. the 2in rollers give me too much of a loose curl.

Napp, what did you set your hair with? How many ponies did you use? ETA: I think your hair is very pretty.

TracyNicole

My LCL beauty dryer arrived on Thursday. DH put it together last night and I wash and set my hair on magnetic rollers this morning. I didn't get good pictures because I had to run out to a business lunch but I wanted to post that I am in love. My hair was dry in 25 minutes and is so soft I have to resist the urge to pet myself on the head! I set with a little Wen Lavender and Chi heat protectant.

gabulldawg

My rollerset turned out great! :yay: It's not crunchy! I used Cantu Shea butter leave in and coconut oil. The only issue is that I think I used too much oil. :ohwell: But it still looks good.

Nyssa28

I forgot who mentioned that they use Vitale setting lotion for their rollersets, but I am so grateful! I will be using this instead of Lottabody from now on. The shine and bounce are what I wasn't getting with Lottabody.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using LHCF

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I forgot who mentioned that they use Vitale setting lotion for their rollersets, but I am so grateful! I will be using this instead of Lottabody from now on. The shine and bounce are what I wasn't getting with Lottabody.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using LHCF

it was meeeeee:drunk:

I havent wanted anything else since i found it:yep:

my favorite is the mo body thickening one. but the olive oil is good too. mo body has more hold though

Nyssa28

it was meeeeee:drunk:

I havent wanted anything else since i found it:yep:

my favorite is the mo body thickening one. but the olive oil is good too. mo body has more hold though

Thank you soooo much. I must try the mo body, but until then. :reddancer:

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay

Haven't traditional set in a very long time. Took forever but I'm pleased.

Last edited:
Just set my hair with a different method from the usual as well as having my mp3 player on during and I think I did it in under 30 minutes! WTF happened? It's usually somewhere near an hour with a load of trouble. I will definitely be doing this again, so happy.
This is with like 3 hours of sleep under my belt in the last 24 hrs too too I think I'm going nuts in a good way, I'm actually scared of why my brain is working so well lol.
Under the dryer now. I hope it turns out well.

WendellaWoody

Hey ladies! I'm an avid rollersetter and I LOVE it! My hair is become longer and healthier because of it!

Question...anyone drying their hair solely on the COOL setting versus WARM or NORMAL setting? I've only ever used the WARM/NORMAL setting, but thinking drying my hair on the COOL setting will be a healthier option, even if it takes longer. Thoughts? TIA for your input!

ALSO, I use magnetic rollers with metal clips or long bobby pins to secure. FOR THOSE OF YOU USING MESH ROLLERS, how do you secure the rollers tightly for a good set? THANKS A BUNCH!!! :drunk:

Last edited:

Lurkee

I did a roller set today and I can feel a difference. I used setting lotion and I used a rats tail comb. Normally I use a wide toothed comb but after the roller set, my hair is not smooth and I have lots of tangles.

With the small comb, my hair feels so smooth. I feel I lost a lot of hair in the process though. I really don't know what to do about it.

The first ball of hair was during the rolling process. The second is from combing out the curls with a big comb.

Attachments

• image-72098580.jpg
    image-72098580.jpg
    497.2 KB · Views: 49
  • image-2859237017.jpg
    image-2859237017.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 33

Lurkee

WendellaWoody said:
Hey ladies! I'm an avid rollersetter and I LOVE it! My hair is become longer and healthier because of it!

Question...anyone drying their hair solely on the COOL setting versus WARM or NORMAL setting? I've only ever used the WARM/NORMAL setting, but thinking drying my hair on the COOL setting will be a healthier option, even if it takes longer. Thoughts? TIA for your input!

ALSO, I use magnetic rollers with metal clips or long bobby pins to secure. FOR THOSE OF YOU USING MESH ROLLERS, how do you secure the rollers tightly for a good set? THANKS A BUNCH!!! :drunk:

WendellaWoody, I have tried air drying and warm drying and in my experience the warm dryer is the better option for how the hair turns out. I use a medium setting on my standing hair dryer about 40 degree Celsius. I get hot ears so I cannot stand more than that.

WendellaWoody

Lurkee, thanks so much for replying! I use my hooded dryer on warm too, but I'm really trying to minimize heat. That's why I'm thinking of trying the cool setting on my dryer.

I'll update on the results!

Lurkee

WendellaWoody said:
Lurkee, thanks so much for replying! I use my hooded dryer on warm too, but I'm really trying to minimize heat. That's why I'm thinking of trying the cool setting on my dryer.

I'll update on the results!

Yeah please give an update. What I know is that since the ends of the hair are protected in the set, and the dryer provides an even distribution of warm air, then the heat is not damaging to the hair. I might be wrong though.